100 years later, Tunguska remains mysterious

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Nastytang
With us: 16 years 5 months

100 years later, Tunguska remains mysterious

Post #1by Nastytang » 30.06.2008, 21:20

Scientists still debate cause of massive explosion in Siberian forest

A full century after the mysterious Tunguska explosion in Siberia leveled an area nearly the size of Tokyo, debate continues over what caused it.

Many questions remain as to what crashed into the Earth from above — how big it was and what it was made of. Some question whether it even came from space at all, or whether it erupted from the ground instead.

And there is always speculation that it was caused by a UFO or famed inventor Nikola Tesla's "death ray."

The explosion near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River on June 30, 1908, flattened some 500,000 acres (2,000 square kilometers) of Siberian forest. Scientists calculated the Tunguska explosion could have been roughly as strong as 10 megatons to 20 megatons of TNT — 1,000 times more powerful than the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

The longstanding theory regarding the cause of the event is a cosmic impact from an asteroid or comet. In the last decade, researchers have conjectured the event was triggered by an asteroid exploding in Earth's atmosphere and measuring roughly 100 feet wide (30 meters) and 617,300 tons (560,000 metric tons) in mass — more than 10 times that of the Titanic.

Here is where you can find the rest of the Story: :D

Image100 years later, Tunguska remains mysteriousImage
AKA URANUS PAINUS

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: 100 years later, Tunguska remains mysterious

Post #2by Don. Edwards » 04.07.2008, 23:44

Please this has been beaten to death with a stick. It came from above and it was most likely cometary and exploded above the ground in an air burst. the blast form looks vaguely like a butterfly. It didn't com from anywhere here on Earth and it was some dam alien spaceship crashing.

I think this is a candidate for Purgatory.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Topic author
Nastytang
With us: 16 years 5 months

Post #3by Nastytang » 05.07.2008, 03:33

Please this has been beaten to death with a stick

Sorry I did not mean to post any bad material

Can One Of Moderators Please Delete this POST!!!
AKA URANUS PAINUS

steven75
With us: 15 years 11 months

Post #4by steven75 » 12.07.2008, 07:17

Nastytang, I do not agree with you I think this post is very interesting, by the way I found very interesting news in Internet that some Italian scientists conduct research of Tunguska explosion in Siberia, have you heard about it?
Steven, my web site is here

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #5by selden » 12.07.2008, 12:19

For some people it's an old topic, for others it's new, which is why I've left it.

There is still ongoing scientific research to determine more of the details of the event.
Selden

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”