A power of a star

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Kunkle
With us: 17 years 1 month

A power of a star

Post #1by Kunkle » 04.06.2007, 16:25

I have a new question:

I have a model of a large space sturcture buildt to contain a small star, about the size of a large astroid maybe a bit bigger or so (Don't remember to much at school and don't it on hand.)

Anyway in my little imgitnation, a ancient advanced race has the ability to create this small stars and use them as weapons. They on active use but never really used but tested. I have around a planet that I stuck in the Barnard's Star system.

I was wondering about the lifespan, how big of a boom it will make and would it be possible to set such off into a forced nova? If so how much energy required?

When I get a chance I will provide details if needed.

Thank you.
Last edited by Kunkle on 04.06.2007, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
S. N. Kunkle

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #2by t00fri » 04.06.2007, 17:57

I wonder whether your question relates more to physics or to astronomy ? ;-)

Bye Fridger

Topic author
Kunkle

Post #3by Kunkle » 04.06.2007, 18:14

I wonder whether your question relates more to physics or to astronomy ?

Isn't there a subject called 'Astrophysics'?

:lol:
S. N. Kunkle

t00fri
Developer

Post #4by t00fri » 04.06.2007, 18:57

Kunkle wrote:
I wonder whether your question relates more to physics or to astronomy ?

Isn't there a subject called 'Astrophysics'?

:lol:

Sure enough, but your question has little to do with astrophysics proper I am afraid...

Actually, just in case you misunderstood my above hint: this board is really meant for serious physical, astrophysical or astronomical discussion.

an ancient advanced race has the ability to create this small stars and use them as weapons.

Seems to be a bit off-topic... and ill-defined:
I was wondering about the lifespan, how big of a boom it will make and would it be possible to set such off into a forced nova? If so how much energy required?

You don't want anybody to throw random numbers at you, do you? ;-) . Lots of information is missing before a sensible answer may be given!

Bye Fridger

Celestial_Planets
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #5by Celestial_Planets » 04.06.2007, 23:42

No offense, but this post is a little bit off-topic, as Fridger said. It's a little bit more on the Purgatory side, if you ask me.

Kunkle- 0, Celestial_Planets- 1

You've got to talk about astronomy on this forum, as long as it's not directly related to celesta.
My First Computer:

448 MB of RAM
Speed: 2,540 ft/s
71.2 GB Space
Celestia 1.4.1
Windows XP Service Pack 2

My Current Computer:

16 GB RAM
Speed: 98,500 mi/s
iMac 21.5"
Mac OS X Lion
500 GB HD
Celestia 1.6.1

Greetings from the Celestia Universe

Scytale
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #6by Scytale » 05.06.2007, 08:29

Well, before any numbers, anything the size of an asteroid made of normal matter doesn't have nearly enough mass to create the confinement needed to maintain fusion. So, in order to create such a weapon, yo' homeboys need to punch a dent in spacetime somehow, so that the mini-star's matter stays together and fuses.

If they can do that, they might be better off using their all-mighty spacewarping power to hurl a normal piece of rock at their target, with an insane Oh-my-god speed. Sort of like a space trebouchet. This also makes more tactical sense, because:
a) the poor bastards being shot at with such a weapon wouldn't see the bullet coming for very long before it hits (if they don't have some form of faster-than-light travel or communication)
b) they'd have problems using the same trick (warping space around the target) to deflect it, because of the momentum of the bullet
Einstein would roll over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded. (Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang)

t00fri
Developer

Post #7by t00fri » 05.06.2007, 08:56

Selden,

how about transferring this stuff to Purgatoy?? It's getting worse...

Bye Fridger

Celestial_Planets
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #8by Celestial_Planets » 05.06.2007, 22:33

What did I tell you? The transfer seemed to help us a lot. Thank you, selden.
My First Computer:

448 MB of RAM
Speed: 2,540 ft/s
71.2 GB Space
Celestia 1.4.1
Windows XP Service Pack 2

My Current Computer:

16 GB RAM
Speed: 98,500 mi/s
iMac 21.5"
Mac OS X Lion
500 GB HD
Celestia 1.6.1

Greetings from the Celestia Universe

Topic author
Kunkle

Post #9by Kunkle » 16.06.2007, 21:30

Sorry, I was working a camp for the past week.

Oh, I see. I admit I didn't really have a complete idea how to phrase the questions.

I tried to be a bit clear-ish with it. And I understand with t00fri is going, and it seem like a proper place at the time.

I thought a bit a about the travel methods, It would have some kind of warp system.

I also thought about to explode while in orbit. My dudes that placed it have left it there to show their authority to the lesser races or so.

Well, that's all I have I believe. Thanks.
S. N. Kunkle

m1omg

Post #10by m1omg » 30.06.2007, 17:01

Build a hydrogen bomb of the size of the asteroid, this is, not constantly fusing but exploding at the moment of attack.
Considering how deadly are our nuclear weapons, this weapon may well make planet a barren husk.

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”