Send SpamBots to Purgatory!

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #61by Chuft-Captain » 13.05.2006, 16:32

t00fri wrote:I had no intention to repeat here the full top ten list that is readily available to everyone via the Forum's memberlist. I just wanted to place myself inbetween the two "nearest neighbors" on that top-ten list!

8)
You've got a bit of work to do to catch up with Selden.
...perhaps you need your own Spambot !! :wink:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #62by Malenfant » 13.05.2006, 16:37

Chuft-Captain wrote:
t00fri wrote:I had no intention to repeat here the full top ten list that is readily available to everyone via the Forum's memberlist. I just wanted to place myself inbetween the two "nearest neighbors" on that top-ten list!
8)

What, like Globemaker/ArtificialEntity/ArtificialDeity? Yeah, THAT went down well... :roll:
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #63by t00fri » 13.05.2006, 16:50

Chuft-Captain wrote:
8)

To the contrary:

I'll happily let everyone "overtake", since I tend to be bored to death by most of the forum posts, recently...
:roll:
Anyway, it seems to be far more sensible to spend my time on Celestia instead.

Bye Fridger

Chuft-Captain

Post #64by Chuft-Captain » 13.05.2006, 17:49

t00fri wrote:... since I tend to be bored to death by most of the forum posts, recently...
:roll:
To quote/para-phrase a famous American '60's song... I'll second that emotion. :(

t00fri wrote:Anyway, it seems to be far more sensible to spend my time on Celestia instead.
I agree. When I'm working on addons, I tend to have very little time for posting/reading the forum. Unfortunately, my addons currently in development are a bit in limbo. They are affected by depth-sorting bugs, which I'm waiting to see if Chris has solved.
No point expending any effort on them until I know if any progress has been made on the bugs.

Actually, that's where I'm in agreement with some of the recent (not so boring) discussion with regards to transparency of dev by Paolo, Steffens, El Christou and yourself. http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... ght=#71356

If there was more visibility of the official dev activities (even if it was just a list of planned enhancements/bugfixes and perhaps a level of confidence as to likelihood of inclusion in next release, then addon developers would have more confidence in knowing that further work on their addons (even if currently affected by bugs) was not a wasted effort.

As it operates at the moment, I'm not really prepared to expend any significant effort on further development of an addon, when I have no idea if the bugs that affect it are being worked on for the next release or not.
This is where a bit of transparency would be quite good, because we would be able to make an informed decision whether to continue (or not) parallel development of our addons.

I think Paolo's suggestion of a forum where we could see, but developers could post is a very good idea. Of course, private emails could still be utilised for the bulk of the detailed discussions between developers, but general discussions regarding plans,issues,rationales,progress, etc could be posted by the developers.

Regards
CC

EDIT: Selden, this post may warrant moving to Celstia Users. A bit too serious for Purgatory now. :wink:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #65by ElChristou » 13.05.2006, 19:09

Chuft-Captain wrote:...They are affected by depth-sorting bugs, which I'm waiting to see if Chris has solved...

Chuft, this bug won't be solved quickly (and perhaps never :x) because of the among of calculation needed to get things ok; unfortunatly many people (Cham, myself, and others) have been stopped in their "creativity" by this bug...

t00fri
Developer

Post #66by t00fri » 13.05.2006, 19:13

ElChristou wrote:
Chuft-Captain wrote:...They are affected by depth-sorting bugs, which I'm waiting to see if Chris has solved...

Chuft, this bug won't be solved quickly (and perhaps never :x) because of the among of calculation needed to get things ok; unfortunatly many people (Cham, myself, and others) have been stopped in their "creativity" by this bug...

ElChristou,

how many emails did you directly address to Chris about this important point. If your first mail remains unanswered, send another one several days later...and so on! ;-)

Cheers,
Fridger

Chuft-Captain

Post #67by Chuft-Captain » 13.05.2006, 19:32

ElChristou wrote:

I sent a model to Chris a few months ago to help him to debug this, but from what I understand, this is not going to be easy to fix without breaking other functionality.

Chris' email in March wrote:Thanks for this! I'm looking into it now . . . It's going to take some
effort to fix it without breaking other stuff, but I'll see what I can
do.

Haven't heard how he's getting on with this....but it was the ski season!! :wink:

t00fri
Developer

Post #68by t00fri » 13.05.2006, 19:47

Chuft-Captain wrote:....It seems that particle physicist's have a little trouble with numbers less than 500 billion electronvolts. :wink: :lol:

I think you are JUST right! ==========>

The cosmological constant, creating a lot of "headache" for us, is only about 0.001 electronvolts!

Because it's THAT small, nobody has a good idea where it might come from...

Bye Fridger

t00fri
Developer

Post #69by t00fri » 13.05.2006, 19:50

Chuft-Captain wrote:....
Chris' email in March wrote:Thanks for this! I'm looking into it now . . . It's going to take some
effort to fix it without breaking other stuff, but I'll see what I can
do.

Haven't heard how he's getting on with this....but it was the ski season!! :wink:

Send it again (...and again!). I know what I am talking about ;-)

Cheers,
Fridger

ElChristou
Developer

Post #70by ElChristou » 13.05.2006, 19:57

t00fri wrote:...how many emails did you directly address to Chris about this important point. If your first mail remains unanswered, send another one several days later...and so on! ;-)

Unfortunatly from my education I'm not accustomed in using this kind of method... :?
Should I really do that? poor Chris...

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #71by selden » 13.05.2006, 20:08

I know chris is well aware of the transparency problem. He described it quite well when I reported a related issue in the developers forum.

I fear he may not be aware of just how much pain it's causing, though. You might encourage him to create a "slow" version of Celestia that handles transparency correctly, just to see how bad the slowdown really is.
Selden

Chuft-Captain

Post #72by Chuft-Captain » 13.05.2006, 20:39

t00fri wrote:
Chuft-Captain wrote:....It seems that particle physicist's have a little trouble with numbers less than 500 billion electronvolts. :wink: :lol:

I think you are JUST right! ==========>

The cosmological constant, creating a lot of "headache" for us, is only about 0.001 electronvolts!

Because it's THAT small, nobody has a good idea where it might come from...

Bye Fridger

and life is the result of fine tuning the density of matter-energy at the Planck time to one part in 10 to the 60!
:wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_universe

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #73by Adirondack » 14.05.2006, 22:22

chris wrote:...I'll upgrade phpBB, but image confirmation is already turned on for the Celestia forums, and the spambots seem to have no trouble defeating it. But maybe phpBB 2.0.20 has an improved version?

--Chris

Not really, I fear.
But there is a way to fix it by modifying three files.
I will send you a PM with more information.

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #74by chris » 15.05.2006, 23:06

Adirondack wrote:
chris wrote:...I'll upgrade phpBB, but image confirmation is already turned on for the Celestia forums, and the spambots seem to have no trouble defeating it. But maybe phpBB 2.0.20 has an improved version?

--Chris

Not really, I fear.
But there is a way to fix it by modifying three files.
I will send you a PM with more information.

Adirondack

Since I modified the forum's php scripts as described in that fix, I've seen no spambots register. In fact I haven't seen any new users register except for the test user I created. Let's hold off on the victory drinks until another non-spambot user registers.

--Chris

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #75by chris » 16.05.2006, 00:18

chris wrote:Since I modified the forum's php scripts as described in that fix, I've seen no spambots register. In fact I haven't seen any new users register except for the test user I created. Let's hold off on the victory drinks until another non-spambot user registers.

. . . and now it's time for drinking. We have a new user csl who registered after I changed the forum scripts, and he's not a spambot. Thank you Adirondack!

--Chris

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #76by Malenfant » 16.05.2006, 00:41

Well if it's the end of the spambots then that's fab :).
Now to get rid of the ones that are already here...
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #77by Dollan » 16.05.2006, 04:19

If only I could do this over at Extrasolar Visions....

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #78by Adirondack » 16.05.2006, 10:21

chris wrote:
chris wrote:Since I modified the forum's php scripts as described in that fix, I've seen no spambots register. In fact I haven't seen any new users register except for the test user I created. Let's hold off on the victory drinks until another non-spambot user registers.

. . . and now it's time for drinking. We have a new user csl who registered after I changed the forum scripts, and he's not a spambot. Thank you Adirondack!

--Chris
Cheerio, Mr. Laurel! :wink:
I would like to drink a Jack...
You are welcome.

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)

The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

ElChristou
Developer

Post #79by ElChristou » 16.05.2006, 12:25

Adirondack wrote:
chris wrote:

--Chris
Cheerio, Mr. Laurel! :wink:
I would like to drink a Jack...
You are welcome.

Adirondack

Bravo to all!
A good thing done.

Johaen

Post #80by Johaen » 16.05.2006, 13:10

*shrug* I don't know... a few of the most recent registered users seem a bit fishy. Websites with a .ru address.

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”