Anyone want to be in my book, or give me ideas?

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Hunter Parasite
With us: 19 years

Post #41by Hunter Parasite » 05.06.2006, 23:07

I am in great need for a wide range of sentient, non humaniod life. Preferably insects and energy beings.

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #42by bdm » 07.06.2006, 02:09

Hunter Parasite wrote:I am in great need for a wide range of sentient, non humaniod life. Preferably insects and energy beings.

To design sentient insectoids, one must first consider how an insect is constructed. An insect is basically a soft body inside a hard exoskeleton. The hard shell has pores inside that admit oxygen so the insect can breathe by diffusion.

Insects on Earth are small because the partial pressure of oxygen in the atmosphere limits their size. If the atmosphere had more oxygen then the insect could grow larger. So an insect the size of a human would likely come from a world with a thick atmosphere with plentiful oxygen. Such an insect on the surface of Earth would need to be encased inside a pressure suit so it can get enough oxygen.

Another way to have large insectoids would be to design insects that breathed in a different way. An insect with lungs and an advanced circulatory system could grow quite large. The trouble with lungs is they require some mechanism to circulate the air. Mammalian lungs would not work in an insect because the diaphragm mechanism is not compatible with an exoskeleton (the body expands and contracts). Bird lungs would work better in an insect because the rib cage of birds is rigid. Or one could have a different mechanism altogether, such as a one-way respiratory tract.

Topic author
Hunter Parasite

Post #43by Hunter Parasite » 07.06.2006, 23:00

i am actually aware of the functions of an insects body because i have a strange facination with prehistoric insects and arachnids.I should make a primordial earth so my bugs can become big and smart! Funny thing is, im making a species based off of my concept of an intelligent dinosaur! Because i feel like it, i will list a few of the key species.

Varial Aggressor

Varial Controller

Varial Swimmer

Varial Thriver

Varial Shadowling

Varial Protecter

The Strokt

The Creators

The Offspring (Humans)

The Cybertoids

The Powerseekers

The Seers

[/list]

Topic author
Hunter Parasite

Post #44by Hunter Parasite » 17.06.2006, 22:29

Here is a crude and probably inaccurate diagram of my insectoid respritory system

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”