Any member in Tucson area?

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
STARNIGHTER
With us: 18 years 1 month

Any member in Tucson area?

Post #1by STARNIGHTER » 14.07.2007, 13:58

Just wondered offhand if anyone here lives in the Tucson Arizona area? I went to college out there (years ago), visited Kitt Peak observatory frequently, and have an interest in the desert area west of Tucson, in the Gates Pass area. I sure would appreciate anyone who lives in the area contacting me and updating me about development changes (if any) or emailing me photos of Gates Pass today. There was a scientific research project being conducted about a mile back in the mountains(north of the park entrance), back in the early 1970's, an although all traces of the experiment are gone now, I'm curious as to what (if any) developments may have occupied that general area now? Thanks! I don't travel much, and internet attempts to view the area aren't good.

buggs_moran
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #2by buggs_moran » 14.07.2007, 17:12

I was there 2 years ago at Christmas and it's pretty undeveloped compared with Tucson as a whole...

My parents retired there a few years back and according to them, Tucson is 150% larger (in population) than 10 years ago...

I went to Kitts Peak about 2.5 years back for a night program. The light pollution from Tucson is nothing compared to that of Phoenix (twice the distance away)... They said Phoenix will ruin the observing quality of Kitts Peak be 2050... :cry:

Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Topic author
STARNIGHTER
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #3by STARNIGHTER » 14.07.2007, 17:55

Thank you very much for the reply, and the photos!

Yes, light pollution is making Kitt Peak almost useless, compared to the skies back in the 1950's. Growing populations, developments, etc.,....they call it progress. I don't! :cry:

Gates Pass looks about the same. I had heard rumors that developments may have been taking place about a mile back (north), and I'd hate to revisit that area where experiments took place to find some house sitting there! Thanks again!

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”