Would you buy these?

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years 1 month

Would you buy these?

Post #1by Don. Edwards » 25.12.2005, 06:24

Would anyone seriously consider buying these if they were made for real?

Image-Image

I am thinking of looking into the feasibility of it, possibly for next year, although I should think of getting it started earlier. There would be one for every large body in the solar system, so ten at least, possibly more.

Any input would be great and helpful, this isn't a business as of yet so this isn't advertising, it?€™s a feasibility study really. 8O

Don. Edwards
8O
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Cormoran
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #2by Cormoran » 25.12.2005, 08:52

I dunno about anyone else, Don, but I think they'd be an extremely cool Christmas decoration. My wife isn't even vaguely into Astronomy (while having many other admirable qualities, she still thinks the name 'Uranus' is funny), but she'd love them too.

Something similar would also be great for a kid's room as part of a mobile or even a ceiling display on a painted starscape backdrop.

Very cool idea!

Merry Christmas,

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 20 years 1 month

Re: Would you buy these?

Post #3by PlutonianEmpire » 25.12.2005, 13:19

Don. Edwards wrote:Would anyone seriously consider buying these if they were made for real?

Image-Image

I am thinking of looking into the feasibility of it, possibly for next year, although I should think of getting it started earlier. There would be one for every large body in the solar system, so ten at least, possibly more.

Any input would be great and helpful, this isn't a business as of yet so this isn't advertising, it?€™s a feasibility study really. 8O

Don. Edwards
8O

Oh yeah. :mrgreen:

I would love to see these ornaments in real life, so yeah, go for it. :D
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

calder
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #4by calder » 26.12.2005, 03:43

It sounds like a fun idea, much more interesting than the traditional Christmas baubil.

Hunter Parasite
With us: 19 years

Post #5by Hunter Parasite » 26.12.2005, 14:17

Those look really neat!

Tech Sgt. Chen
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #6by Tech Sgt. Chen » 27.12.2005, 02:37

Who should I make the check payable to? Hopefully a box of 12 different, with the planets, the Sun and the Moon. Hmm, that only makes 11...oh, well.
Yeah, I think it's quite a novel idea! :wink:
Hi guys. Listen, they're telling me the uh,
generators won't take it, the ship is breaking apart and all that. Just, FYI.
(Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core 3Ghz, 8GB DDR2-800, 500GB SATA 7200RPM HD, 580W,
GeForce 9600GT-512, 64Bit, Vista Home Premium)

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #7by Don. Edwards » 27.12.2005, 03:44

Well the 12th would be Charon as we now look at Pluto as a double planet system. Of course I could also go for all the major moons in the solar system as well, so possibly two packages, the basic and more advanced 24 world set.
Again just an idea that is setting in, As soon as things return to normal after New Years I am going to start checking into the idea in earnest and see what it would cost me and what I would have to charge. I am also looking into the idea of doing small globes of say no more than 6 inches as an off season idea. The solar system mobile sounds like it would be workable too. Just have to wait and see what info I can come up with,

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #8by Don. Edwards » 27.12.2005, 05:50

I thought I would give a little update on what I have found out so far. As far as I tell it looks as though only about the middle 50% of any spherical object can be printed on at this time. After the holidays are over I will give a call to the couple companies that seem to do this kind of work and see exactly what can and can not be done. As much as I would love to be able to bring these ornaments and possible other small spheres with my textures printed on them to life it isn't looking good at this point. Of course I may have gone about my searches in the wrong way and one of these companies may be able to point me in the right direction. I am sure I have seen examples of full or nearly full spherical printing it may end up being cost prohibited. I won't know more until i can finish my research. In the mean time I have a few other Celestia projects that I need to finish before my free time runs out.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #9by Rassilon » 27.12.2005, 15:14

Don. Edwards wrote:I thought I would give a little update on what I have found out so far. As far as I tell it looks as though only about the middle 50% of any spherical object can be printed on at this time. After the holidays are over I will give a call to the couple companies that seem to do this kind of work and see exactly what can and can not be done. As much as I would love to be able to bring these ornaments and possible other small spheres with my textures printed on them to life it isn't looking good at this point. Of course I may have gone about my searches in the wrong way and one of these companies may be able to point me in the right direction. I am sure I have seen examples of full or nearly full spherical printing it may end up being cost prohibited. I won't know more until i can finish my research. In the mean time I have a few other Celestia projects that I need to finish before my free time runs out.

Don.

Pretty much have to do anything you dream up by yourself these days....

Start by getting a laser printer and use photoshop with flexify plugin...some cheap ornimates and glue :p
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #10by Don. Edwards » 27.12.2005, 23:47

I thought of that, I was thinking of useing blank decal sheets for plastic models. The sheets can be baught online at several places. I have the phototshop plugin for making the orange slice sections to wrap a globe, so all i would have to do is find an apropriete smooth sphere and i could get started. Of course I still have to swing the bucks for a color laser printer that does a decent resolution. I will have to to check things out and see what kind of capital I am going to have to come up with.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”