Re: New house in 2014

Post #1by bh » 11.10.2013, 12:51

Cor! Makes my abode like a cave!
regards...bh.

ThinkerX
With us: 13 years 7 months

Post #2by ThinkerX » 13.10.2013, 05:09

Done my share of construction down through the decades (comes from growing up on a homestead in Alaska).

First observation is I don't see a direct interior access from the garage to the rest of the house.

Second is...are the solar panels used to provide electricity directly? Or are you using them to recharge batteries? And connected with this, is your house to be connected with the electrical grid.

Do you plan on having a cement slab underneath the central patio? Regardless, you'll need a drain, otherwise in certain circumstances you could be risking a flood. (I've seen my share of strange house floods.)

I'm also a bit leery about the grass on the roof thing. Yes, it seems eco friendly and all, but grass comes with roots, and those roots will be digging into and weakening the structure of the roof itself. A few years ago, my Dad and I had to spend a long time cleaning off the moss and lichen which had found a home on the roof of a house we built back in the 1970's. Some of that damage was scary. We ended up going with a metal roof, which is my preference.

ThinkerX

Post #3by ThinkerX » 13.10.2013, 07:21

Ok...your water tank is beneath the patio. I'd suggest paying careful attention to water purity, as things other than water can make it into the tank. (I had a relative who died from this sort of thing a few years ago - a sort of 'hippie', I guess you could call him. Lived by himself way out in the woods.)

This part of the world, we tend to go with a steeper roof pitch. Helps the snow slide off in the winters. (I've seen my share of flat roofed buildings collapse from the snow loads, usually commercial structures.)

I also note your pantry is a bit far from the kitchen. Might make for a bit of a nuisance.

ThinkerX

Post #4by ThinkerX » 13.10.2013, 19:48

No The tank is in the garden.
Gutters go from patio to tank by the ground.

Ok...

Must be great not having to worry about permafrost. This sort of arrangement would freeze and break in my part of the world.

Sorry, I perhaps used a bad word.
In the 'pantry', you find a washing machine, a sink, a little 'workshop', a large freezer and the access to the cellar (cave, underground,...)

Ah..a 'utility' or 'mechanical' room. That makes sense. To me, in this part of the world, 'pantry' usually means 'food storage area'.

Topic author
bh
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #5by bh » 13.10.2013, 19:58

It looks fantastic... what a lovely project.
regards...bh.

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #6by Fenerit » 17.10.2013, 11:45

argelesmer wrote:The plan is not yet fixed.
We don't known if the entry will be in the North, East or West ...

It depends upon the door. the living is pointing to south, thus it got the sunlight from rise to set; if the door is planned "solid", say, all wood, the entering sunlights will diminuish; if were made of wood+glass also a south entrance should be good, because you can open all the space in mild seasons.

BTW, maybe you could install also a turbine, a wind-turbine of some sort on the central patio? Acoustically decoupled, of course.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Fenerit M

Post #7by Fenerit » 18.10.2013, 10:00

argelesmer wrote:With his experience, he told me that in the fall, winter and spring when there is a good sun, the temperature climbed to 23 degrees and in the summer, when the sun is high (near zenith), rays don't fall in the living room.
In winter (average temp = 10°C) the sun heats the air in the closed canopy, and spreads to other rooms.
In summer (average temp = 30°C), with the canopy raised, warm room air is evacuated and the house remains cool.

Ah, ok. Albeit I was thinking sunlight like "illumination", not for bioclimate.

argelesmer wrote:"Fueled" by the 'Tramontane' (west wind of 40 to 110 km/h) to produce electricity.

8O

For me Tramontane is a wind which blows from north to south. But also here I found that the winds are named diversely from countries to countries; once in Malaga (Spain) I knew a guy which named "Levant" the strong wind blowing from Gibraltar. :o

Never at rest.
Massimo

Fenerit M

Post #8by Fenerit » 19.10.2013, 12:37

Well, french meterologists knows what they say, but the rose of the wind I posted above is not wrong for Italy like you can see from this official italian meteorologic site. The only source misleading is the norh-east blowing of the "Grecale" [from Greece] which is resolved once one know that was nested from Cretean rose of the winds where for them such north-est wind came from Greece (Turkey included, at time). For the rest, "Levante" = from sunrise [sol levant], "Ponente" [sol ponent] = from sunset, "Libeccio" = from Libya, "Scirocco" = from Syria.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”