Reasons you can't trust those marketing people...

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 6 months

Reasons you can't trust those marketing people...

Post #1by Chuft-Captain » 17.08.2009, 13:21

Found here: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_gtx_gts_series_uk.html#/overview/

After marketing had their input:

A more accurate picture:

Grrrr...enough said! :twisted: :lol:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 3 months

Re: Reasons you can't trust those marketing people...

Post #2by Fenerit » 17.08.2009, 17:19

That economists, economicists, marketingcists or whatever else can be called so, does seeing the things in large scale, is well-knew. :wink:
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #3by Chuft-Captain » 18.08.2009, 05:00

What I object to is the deliberate use of 2 different scales on the X-axis, which is designed to mislead the perception of the casual viewer.
What they've done in this case is to make, for example, the 57% improvement "look" like 570%, and the 21% "look" like 210%, etc...
You often see politicians/economists blatantly "truncate" one of the axes in order to exaggerate the appearance of a trend, and it p**ses me off whenever I see this sort of trickery.

A 57% improvement is still a good improvement, not to be sniffed at, and they would do better to represent it accurately.
IMO, attempting to mislead customers by misrepresenting the data is not good business, and may have a backlash in terms of customer belief/trust in other claims made by the company.
For example, I am currently considering a new laptop, and my choice of graphics manufacturer is to a large extent determined by how much I "trust" their product (because it's such a vitally important component of the computer).
Anything that undermines my trust in the company (eg. marketing tricks) may also undermine my trust in their product.

I would like to think that most people these days are savvy enough to not be fooled by this sort of trickery, but sadly, the fact that marketers continue to employ these tricks suggests that they still work on a lot of people.

C'mon Nvidia, we are not stupid, and we expect better than this from you! :roll:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 3 months

Post #4by Fenerit » 18.08.2009, 08:34

Sure! I can say for experience that forementioned graphics often are inserted within specialized reviews sold to public at 8-9 euro.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Wallstone
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #5by Wallstone » 26.08.2009, 16:44

This type of deceit reminds me of the actions of two politicians:

1. Governor Mark White of Texas, years ago, promised to "do everything in his power" to lower our utility bills. Under Texas state law, that would be to write two letters on our behalf to the Railroad Commission, who controlled utility prices in Texas. He did exactly that, as the law limits his office to do, the prices remained high, and he didn't get re-elected.

2. One politician, against an incumbent, used his vocabulary in a campaign race to his advantage. He said of his opponent, in a highly disapproving tone, "That man was caught practicing philately with a 9-year old girl!" The public ate it up, and he won the election by a landslide. Come to find out, though, "philately" simply means stamp-collecting.

- Danny

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #6by selden » 26.08.2009, 21:38

Danny,

Please remember that political commentary is not allowed on the Celestia Forum site.
Selden

Wallstone
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #7by Wallstone » 26.08.2009, 23:53

Selden:

I was not aware of this. However, my reply was merely in response to:

Chuft-Captain wrote:You often see politicians/economists blatantly "truncate"

Misrepresentation, be it by economist, grocer, marketeer, politician, or whatever, is wrong, which was my entire point. Be well, all.

- Danny

zhar2
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #8by zhar2 » 27.08.2009, 08:51

I dont see a problem with the orinial chart as its called selling, & anyway its peoples responsability no to be fooled lol.

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”