Planetary temperature around binary stars

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
NuclearVacuum
With us: 16 years

Planetary temperature around binary stars

Post #1by NuclearVacuum » 20.10.2008, 17:20

I have been working on my planetary system for Delta Trianguli for months now, and have hit a snag. I have corrected the true characteristics of the two suns, but I can not make the planets show any temperature. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that they are orbiting the barycenter, but is there a way to go around this? Can I give the barycenter a temperature?
Я люблю экзопланет

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Re: Planetary temperature around binary stars

Post #2by selden » 20.10.2008, 17:23

That's a bug in v1.5.1. Have you tried v1.6? I don't recall if it's been fixed yet.
Selden

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #3by NuclearVacuum » 20.10.2008, 17:28

selden wrote:That's a bug in v1.5.1. Have you tried v1.6? I don't recall if it's been fixed yet.
Where can I download v6.1?
Я люблю экзопланет

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #4by selden » 20.10.2008, 17:38

It is not yet available officially: bugs are still being squashed. However, an unofficial build for Windows made from Celestia's svn souce code archive on Source Forge is available on cartrite's Web site. It's described in a sticky thread in the Celestia Development Forum.

http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12221
Selden

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #5by ajtribick » 20.10.2008, 17:48

Binary systems are not taken into account in v1.6 either. Phase angles aren't shown either.

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #6by NuclearVacuum » 20.10.2008, 17:52

So the temperature thing will be fixed for the next updated version of Celestia? I believe I can be patient for that. But is it or not going to be taken care of?
Я люблю экзопланет

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #7by ajtribick » 20.10.2008, 18:06

From what I've been able to tell, this issue is a "won't fix" one for the time being: the Celestia temperature model for planets is fairly dubious anyway (for a start, the albedo property appears to be treated as the Bond albedo, whereas in the renderer it is the visual albedo), even for just the 1 star. I believe Chris has mentioned that he is considering removing the temperature display entirely.

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #8by chris » 20.10.2008, 23:11

ajtribick wrote:From what I've been able to tell, this issue is a "won't fix" one for the time being: the Celestia temperature model for planets is fairly dubious anyway (for a start, the albedo property appears to be treated as the Bond albedo, whereas in the renderer it is the visual albedo), even for just the 1 star. I believe Chris has mentioned that he is considering removing the temperature display entirely.

This is all correct. I don't feel that the equilibrium temperature (which is actually what is meant by temperature in Celestia) is so useful that it deserves its own line in the object info text. If we show it at all, it belongs somewhere else--perhaps a separate info window.

Some restructuring of the star code in version 1.6.0 does make much easier to calculate phase angles and temperatures in multiple star systems.

--Chris

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #9by NuclearVacuum » 23.10.2008, 14:03

ajtribick wrote:I believe Chris has mentioned that he is considering removing the temperature display entirely.
OH PLEASE NO!! It is a pretty handy setting for Celestia. In my case, It helps me pin-point the habitable zone around a specific star. We should expand on it, not remove it.
Я люблю экзопланет

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #10by t00fri » 23.10.2008, 14:14

NuclearVacuum wrote:
ajtribick wrote:I believe Chris has mentioned that he is considering removing the temperature display entirely.
OH PLEASE NO!! It is a pretty handy setting for Celestia. In my case, It helps me pin-point the habitable zone around a specific star. We should expand on it, not remove it.

In Celestia we tend to keep only displays that have a scientific basis and are known to be decent approximations THROUGHOUT. Otherwise one cannot rely on the output, which can be much worse than not having such a display at all.

Fridger

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”