The Priviledged Planet.

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
SiriusCG
With us: 16 years 6 months

The Priviledged Planet.

Post #1by SiriusCG » 29.03.2008, 21:41

I've noticed a number of Celestia users are interested in modeling "real world" world objects as add-ons or similar. For those of you interested in the potential for life on other worlds, and as a guide somewhat to modeling your own "life sustaining" worlds, I would encourage you to read "The Privileged Planet" http://www.privilegedplanet.com/ by Gonzalez and Richards. It's a fascinating read and quite eye-opening when you learn just how really special our earth is and it's unique place in the cosmos. You would be surprised at the number of things that need to fall into place to create and harbor life as well as provide a "platform" from which to learn about the cosmos.

I believe there is a DVD also available hosted by John Rhy-Davies, which I haven't seen, but I would still recommend the book for it''s completeness.

Cheers!

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Re: The Priviledged Planet.

Post #2by ajtribick » 29.03.2008, 23:12

I don't believe we've had Intelligent Design brought up in these forums before... I suppose it was inevitable.

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #3by ElChristou » 30.03.2008, 01:19

I'm not really sure but could this thread be considered has flagrant advertisement?

Topic author
SiriusCG

Post #4by SiriusCG » 30.03.2008, 03:21

ajtribick wrote:I don't believe we've had Intelligent Design brought up in these forums before... I suppose it was inevitable.
The book doesn't focus exclusively on ID... There are a quite a few purely scientific hypothesis and theories brought forward as well. An example is the type of planets that could exist around stars and develop or harbor life. Another area is the physics of planetary bodies and their potential effects on the creation of atmosphere, water masses and dry land masses. There is also an excellent section describing the most likely types of planets that would attend a particular solar type. It's interesting reading IMO.

I'm not really sure but could this thread be considered has flagrant advertisement?
I don't want to sound touchy but considering the definition of the word "flagrant" is "conspicuously offensive" I fail to understand your use of the term in this regards. Do you consider my post to be "offensive" in some way? I'm not affiliated with the authors or publishers in any way and I don't stand to gain anything from mentioning this particular book other than a personal satisfaction in offering it as a source of information to share with the Celestia community. If you feel that my post on this subject violates a forum rule, by all means please inform the moderator and have it removed.

Cheers!

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #5by chris » 30.03.2008, 07:12

ElChristou wrote:I'm not really sure but could this thread be considered has flagrant advertisement?

It's true that advertising isn't permitted here, however recommendations are just fine. I don't know anything about "The Privileged Planet" but the tone of post is appropriate for this forum, and SiriusCG has posted in the forums in the past about topics unrelated to the book.

--Chris

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #6by t00fri » 30.03.2008, 09:12

SiriusCG wrote:
I don't want to sound touchy but considering the definition of the word "flagrant" is "conspicuously offensive" I fail to understand your use of the term in this regards.
Cheers!

In French, the same word 'flagrant' exists, too. For a French speaking person it sounds quite appropriate and certainly not offensive. In international forums (and otherwise ;-) ) it's always helpful to speak several languages ;-)

Christophe's mother tongue IS indeed French.

F.

Fightspit
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #7by Fightspit » 30.03.2008, 10:14

Probably, he wants to use "flagrant" to say "obvious" or "blatant" :wink:

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/flagrant
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processor: Intel Core2 E6700 @ 3Ghz
Ram: Corsair 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC6400
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 384 bits PCI-Express 16x
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 rpm

ElChristou
Developer

Post #8by ElChristou » 30.03.2008, 10:21

Damn, I had to see the definition in English; in French the idea is more "unsubtle", "evident"... As it's a french word I was thinking the meaning was the same, sorry...

CiriusG, perhaps it's my English, but your speech sounds really like and 'unsubtle" add to me, sorry...

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #9by ajtribick » 30.03.2008, 11:06

This isn't really about using Celestia in education is it? This thread should perhaps move to another forum.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #10by selden » 30.03.2008, 12:28

Since this is not about Celestia, I've moved it to the Purgatory forum.
Selden

Topic author
SiriusCG

Post #11by SiriusCG » 30.03.2008, 13:30

No worries guys... And the reverse in true for me, ElChristou, I never considered the French meaning of the word... (I failed French in school and took German and Spanish instead). :wink:

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Post #12by Hungry4info » 30.03.2008, 18:08

I personally don't believe enough information has been gathered to determine if ours is a "unique" planet. So far it seems there are lots and lots of planets, but everything we've found so far is rather hostile. We simply haven't the technology or the dedication to find a habitable world.

Now for that five-year Alpha Centauri campaign, I really hope that works out.

Additionally, even if we find a habitable planet, we won't know it's habitable. Let's take Gliese 581 c and d as examples. We know they're temperatures are right support at least some sort of primitive life, but we haven't the ability to determine whether they do or not. (yet?)
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

ElChristou
Developer

Post #13by ElChristou » 30.03.2008, 20:14

Hungry4info wrote:...but everything we've found so far is rather hostile.

Why hostile? perhaps there is some guys who are very happy to leave on those planets! :wink:

LordFerret M
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #14by LordFerret » 31.03.2008, 03:50

ElChristou wrote:I'm not really sure but could this thread be considered has flagrant advertisement?
Considering the light inwhich his post was presented, I don't see it as advertising but more that of a reference source. :D

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”