Brown dwarf physical appearance

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
danielj
With us: 20 years 9 months

Brown dwarf physical appearance

Post #1by danielj » 11.07.2004, 01:15

I am wondering if is it any observation of a brown dwarf,because it seems that there is two opinions about it.Brown dwarfs are like jupiters that glow,or brown dwarfs are substars.This contrast in the two possible textures of browndwarf.jpg.The first that come with Celestia and the other whiich was created by Rassilon.Maybe its appearance can be none of these.But I would like to know if someone has a hunch about brown dwarf real physycal appearance(infrared observations,for example).Or is it all speculative?

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #2by Evil Dr Ganymede » 11.07.2004, 04:40

Argh, &@#$ing stupid editor lost my original message, grrr! :x :x

It is mostly speculative, but we can make educated guesses. The best place to get an idea of what BDs might look like is at:

http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/da ... rison.html

The appearance varies - young BDs are hot enough to glow in the red end of the spectrum and actually may be hard to distinguish from M7-M9 V stars. But once the deuterium fusion in their cores shuts down, they cool off and contract slightly. First they'll form silicon and iron clouds in their atmospheres, then as they get really cool they'll start to condence water and methane.

I put my own artist's impression of a BD on the top of mymy Traveller webpage. :)

Topic author
danielj
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #3by danielj » 11.07.2004, 17:26

http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/da ... rison.html

I liked this link,but to have 2 textures of browndwafs,we should have bigger substars in the extrasolar.ssc.There is only half a dozen and only one is slightly bigger,with 17 Jupiter masses.But according to this diagram,it should have to be at least a 65 Jupiter mass to have a hotter browndwarf,and in this case,the Rassilon should be very apropriate.I would like to know if the astronomers already discovered brown dwarfs with at least 30 or even 65 Jupiter mass orbiting another star.In this case,should be included in the next extrasolar.What do you think?Or maybe the bigger browndwarfs are in the stars catalogue...

Chaos Syndrome NotLogged

Post #4by Chaos Syndrome NotLogged » 11.07.2004, 17:33

As I see it in the illustration there is no significant difference between the brown dwarf night and day side if the object is illuminated by a sun. Is this the case or does no-one really know yet?

Evil Dr Ganymede

Post #5by Evil Dr Ganymede » 11.07.2004, 17:49

Chaos Syndrome NotLogged wrote:As I see it in the illustration there is no significant difference between the brown dwarf night and day side if the object is illuminated by a sun. Is this the case or does no-one really know yet?

I presume that for the dimmer ones there should be a difference between day and night side (like the illustration on my webpage). Not sure about the brighter BDs though, since they're basically like stars themselves.

Jugalator
With us: 19 years 10 months

Post #6by Jugalator » 15.07.2004, 20:15

Yes, brown dwarfs will ultimately move to violet as they get cooler. I think the coldest brown dwarfs actually emit most of their light in ultraviolet.

Eburacum

Post #7by Eburacum » 15.07.2004, 20:17

What??

Ultraviolet implies higher energy...
how can that be?

Evil Dr Ganymede

Post #8by Evil Dr Ganymede » 15.07.2004, 21:05

Eburacum wrote:What??

Ultraviolet implies higher energy...
how can that be?

They won't. They'll emit most of their energy in the infrared. I think that they look more magenta as they cool because of the light they're absorbing, coupled with the fact that they're emitting low wavelength red light too.

Jugalator
With us: 19 years 10 months

Post #9by Jugalator » 15.07.2004, 21:07

Ah, thanks for that explanation :)

I had heard about the magenta/violet since earlier (not just here), and it fooled me to believe light was moving into these wavelengths. :P

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”