Theory of universe expansion question

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Anti-Matter
With us: 21 years 10 months

Theory of universe expansion question

Post #1by Anti-Matter » 11.07.2003, 14:42

I'm sure that you're all familiar with theory that the universe will continue to expand forever since its' birth from the start of the 'Big Bang'.

If we take a physics rule:

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change state

along with the theory that the universe will continue to expand forever, then wouldn't it be logical to say that given enough time, since the universe only consists of a constant amount of energy, it will eventually expand to the point where energy in any point of the universe will be close to 0?

To make it a little clearer to understand, consider a sheet of material. Now stretch it. If it's stretched enough, the sheet of material will become extremely thin (provided it doesn't break).

What I'm wondering, is what kind of state the universe will be in when this occurs. Would it just become a stagnant place of infinite dark and cold? Or would the distance between stars simply get bigger and bigger? :?:

ElPelado
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #2by ElPelado » 11.07.2003, 15:16

what i read many times is that in the future, the universe will get to the "big crunch", the opposite from the big bang, and then again a big bang, and then big crunch and then......
---------X---------
EL XENTENARIO
1905-2005

My page:
http://www.urielpelado.com.ar
My Gallery:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/gallery/view_al ... y-Universe

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by granthutchison » 11.07.2003, 15:30

The Big Crunch is now seen as pretty unlikely, El Pelado, given that the expansion of the Universe seems to be accelerating rather than slowing down.
For a good summary and a bit of discussion on what the Universe might look like in the extreme future, see this article from the NYT Science section:
http://www.phys.cwru.edu/~krauss/01ENDrev.html

Grant
Last edited by granthutchison on 11.07.2003, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

jamarsa
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #4by jamarsa » 11.07.2003, 16:06

What strange, that 'dark energy' theory... It sounds as the 'dark side of the force', or just 'magic'...

I have wondered a lot of times about the posibility of extracting energy from the space fabric (or modelling it, did you read Greg Bear's Eon?)

Mikeydude750
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #5by Mikeydude750 » 11.07.2003, 17:36

Extracting energy from something which already has a zero-energy state?

If you can do that...well...you could retire incredibly wealthy.

jamarsa

Post #6by jamarsa » 11.07.2003, 18:05

Not really zero-state, if the speeding dark force theory is true... It should be everywhere.

And how do I the wealth, if everybody can access the fuel source? It would be 'Opensource power' :wink:
Last edited by jamarsa on 11.07.2003, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mikeydude750

Post #7by Mikeydude750 » 11.07.2003, 18:07

jamarsa wrote:Not really zero-state, if the speeding dark force theory is true... It should be everywhere.
Oh...from the way you worded it, it appeared that you were talking about the cosmic vacuum...

jamarsa

Post #8by jamarsa » 11.07.2003, 18:12

I think the 'vacuum' it's not an emptiness, it is a 'medium', the fabric of the universe, the same way the air isn't 'empty'. How do you explain the transmission of light and radiowave across an 'emptiness'? There must be a way to support it.

Mikeydude750

Post #9by Mikeydude750 » 11.07.2003, 18:20

Light doesn't exactly need a medium to propagate in...of course.

Unless you are right...and light does require sometime of medium(maybe higher dimensions do exist and we are a part of them, but we don't know).

JrzyCrim
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #10by JrzyCrim » 11.07.2003, 22:01

Here's another link with information about the the big bang, the acceleration of the universal expansion, and the eventual fate of the universe, plus much more useful information on cosmology.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni.html
Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Orleans)
GeForce 8400 GS 256MB

MKruer
With us: 22 years

Post #11by MKruer » 14.07.2003, 05:30

Here’s one that might boggle your mind.

I can up with this theory on my own bringing together many different sources of information into one cohesive idea.

Right now we are working on different theories on how the universe cam into being. Most recently the M-Theory or Mother of all Theories this simply states the universe formed from 10 dimensional universe, and curled up on itself to the present 3 dimensions.
There is another theory that takes it a step further. This theory is called the F- Theory or Father of all Theories and has the same concept as the M-Theory except that it takes place from 11 dimensional universe, the curled on it self.

I believe that we came from a 12 dimensional universe that curled on it self. I came up with this idea quite by accident, and it all has to do will geometry. In geometry, if you take a 12 dimensional sphere, and rotate it, through time, an interesting thing happens. The outside becomes the inside and visa versa. What brought me to this conclusion was a program I watched along time ago. The New Explorers or something like that. It was a 6-part PBS program. Anyway in the program one of the experiments was to focus into the darkest, emptiest region into space to see what was there. What they found startled them. Instead of finding nothing, they found thousands of blue galaxies, and more importantly there was a great rift between what we defined as the edge of the universe, and threes newly discovered galaxies. Anyway there are only three conclusions that came to my mind.

One was that our universe is about to ram into an existing universe,
Two was that our universe is some how has 2 shells, and we are looking at something that happened before.
Three we are looking at the other side of our universe, and we are approaching it. (This is where 12 dimensions takes its place) Granted that all objects in the universe have some spin, then who is to say that the universe cannot have some spin (yes the universe are a whole is spinning around its center of gravity) Then thinking about 12 dimentionl geometry, it all makes sense. What all this means simply put is that the universe is going to blow itself into the big crunch. Also if you think about it, the universe itself is the single largest back hole. And if its true nothing can escape its boundaries.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”