SOHO Visible Light Sun

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
MrSpace43
With us: 6 years 5 months

SOHO Visible Light Sun

Post #1by MrSpace43 » 06.04.2022, 18:19

So a few months ago (in late 2021), I had been working on my custom 8k star textures for Celestia using HD visible-light data from the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) of our Sun. While I still have access to this SDO data from 2010 onwards, I want to try and see if I can use HD visible light data from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) in the early 2000's. I have tried looking numerous times before, but I can't seem to find a website or archive that contains any HD pictures of the Sun from SOHO.

What I am basically looking for are pictures of the Sun like this, but follow the following guidelines:
SOHO Visible Light Sun.png

1.) The images must be in visible light only.
2.) They must be full-disc pictures of the Sun without the limb.
3.) The resolution of these pictures must be above 2048x2048 pixels.

I have gotten most of the large sunspots (that SDO observed) I'd need for my star textures, but there are countless others from before SDO was a thing that I want to incorporate into my star textures. If anyone knows a website that has these kinds of images of the Sun (that follow the guidelines listed), that would be much appreciated.
Been into Astronomy since the age of 3 or 4. Started making planetary textures back in late 2016. 3D animator who makes high quality animations in Cinema 4D. Likes to sometimes, deliberately torment myself with the stupid green screaming apatosaurus that is Arlo.

My addons page: https://celestiaproject.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22167

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”