Signature colors of planets

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia

What would be the most suitable "signature color" for each of the planets?

Mercury: gray
100%
Mercury: brown
No votes
Venus: yellow
No votes
Venus: white
100%
Earth: blue or bright blue
100%
Earth: green
No votes
Moon: gray
50%
Moon: greenish-gray
50%
Mars: red
100%
Jupiter: orange
50%
Jupiter: brown
50%
Saturn: yellow
100%
Uranus: green
50%
Uranus: light blue
50%
Neptune: blue or dark blue
100%
Pluto: gray
No votes
Pluto: brown
100%
Planet Nine and other hypothetical trans-Neptunian planets: blue or dark blue
50%
Planet Nine and other hypothetical trans-Neptunian planets: black
50%

Total votes: 22

Topic author
Joey P. M
With us: 6 years 6 months

Signature colors of planets

Post #1by Joey P. » 04.02.2020, 04:08

(please select up to ten options for the poll; for every planet in our Solar System including Pluto, the Moon, and hypothetical trans-Neptunian planets)
For me, it seems as if every planet (known) in our Solar System seems to have a "signature color". However, most Celestia textures I've seen (along with those on the motherlode) are more grayish than close to the "signature colors" of these planets. Should we make more vivid-colored textures?

Just like the characters of some TV shows have their own signature colors, each (verified) Solar System planet has a "signature color":

Mercury = gray
Venus = white (some artistic depictions of Venus are white; its actual cloud cover color is actually very light yellow.)
Earth = bright blue
Moon = greenish-gray (I've seen it highlighted with such color on a diagram and to reflect that it is the Earth's satellite and was necessary for life on Earth to develop)
Mars = red (obviously)
Jupiter = orange (most textures on the motherlode are closer to a light tan and grayish-brown)
Saturn = yellow
Uranus = green (actually light blue but green is the signature color of methane)
Neptune = dark blue
Pluto = brown

Additionally, Planet Nine and any hypothetical planet beyond Neptune and Pluto would be black, because most artistic depictions have them as black, they would have a very low albedo given their great distance from the Sun, and they are just hypothetical for now.

Any thoughts on this concept?
Joey P.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 05.02.2020, 22:24

Joey P. wrote:However, most Celestia textures I've seen (along with those on the motherlode) are more grayish than close to the "signature colors" of these planets.

That's because they are true-color. If you want to make false-color textures, go ahead, but I don't think many people will be interested.

What is the point of the poll? There are only one or two options for each planet. Unrelated but apparently non-moderators can create polls, but only in the off-topic forums? For some time now I've been wanting to make polls about which Celestia logo and splash image people prefer.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
Joey P. M

Post #3by Joey P. » 06.02.2020, 06:04

SevenSpheres wrote:

What is the point of the poll?

The purpose of this poll is whether or not you agree with my stance or not. It's perfectly fine if you don't.

For some time now I've been wanting to make polls about which Celestia logo and splash image people prefer.
And of course, just go ahead with that.
Joey P.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #4by SevenSpheres » 06.02.2020, 22:11

Joey P. wrote:
For some time now I've been wanting to make polls about which Celestia logo and splash image people prefer.
And of course, just go ahead with that.

You're missing the point. These polls would need to be in the "Development" or "Celestia Users" forum, and I can't make polls there.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
Joey P. M

Post #5by Joey P. » 13.02.2020, 19:08

Oh, sorry about that.
Joey P.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”