A Query: Binary Star Scenario

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Asymptote
With us: 15 years 7 months

A Query: Binary Star Scenario

Post #1by Asymptote » 08.10.2009, 21:59

So here's what I'm wondering: suppose a binary star system exists where one member is more massive than the sun (say around 5 solar masses), and the otehr is much more massive than the sun (say 25 solar masses). Obviously the larger star will evolve much more quickly, becoming a red giant (or supergiant?) before going supernova. What I'd like to know is: what happens to the smaller star? Is it destroyed by the supernova? Or could the smaller one lose enough mass to become a sunlike star?

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Re: A Query: Binary Star Scenario

Post #2by Hungry4info » 09.10.2009, 03:24

The system will remain. If the separation is small, then it will continue as a High- or Low-Mass X-ray Binary (HMXB, LMXB), which is either a black hole + MS star, or a neutron star + MS star. In either event, the secondary star will survive, but may be accreted into the compact star (turning the system into an x-ray source).

If the separation is wide, than the two should continue to orbit about each other even after the more massive star goes supernova. I don't think that the secondary star would be that much affected other than that its spectra will be contaminated with grote from the innards of the post-supernova star.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Topic author
Asymptote
With us: 15 years 7 months

Re: A Query: Binary Star Scenario

Post #3by Asymptote » 10.10.2009, 00:36

Yeah, that's more or less what I expected. I just wasn't sure how much mass the supernova would blow off the smaller companion. Thanks!

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”