Big Rip = Big Bang?

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Big Rip = Big Bang?

Post #1by PlutonianEmpire » 18.04.2009, 02:01

On Monday I had a thought. Is it possible that the forces causing the Big Rip (dark energy) be so strong that after pulling apart the atoms, the very fabric of space would be pulled at, and somehow cause a new big bang where the pull of dark energy is the stronges? Is it possible, or more in the realm of science fiction?
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

MKruer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: Big Rip = Big Bang?

Post #2by MKruer » 24.04.2009, 16:57

Short Answer at the moment it looks like the universe is going to end as big rip. If I am not mistaken, Quantum theory basically says the nothing can not exist, and that something will literally spawn out of the nothingness. Also the big rip does not necessitate the end of our universe, only the universe as we know it. There is a possibility that because of the big rip, a new space-time mechanics will emerge and reorder our universe.

A fun example would be imagined a deck of card, all spread out, going from to lowest to highest, through each suit. Imagine that this is our universe as it is now. The big rip would be a reshuffling of the deck. Now all the cards are out of order, but given enough time and reshuffling its 100% certainty that you will be able to reorder the deck in some meaning full way, such as the reverse of what it was originally.

Michael_k
With us: 14 years 8 months

Post #3by Michael_k » 03.10.2009, 06:02

MKruer wrote:Short Answer at the moment it looks like the universe is going to end as big rip.

Really? I thought the theory generally accepted by mainstream science was that about the universe ending in heat death rather than 'the big rip'? Has there been a breakthrough I haven't heard about?

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #4by John Van Vliet » 04.10.2009, 05:19

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 21.10.2013, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 3 months

Post #5by Fenerit » 04.10.2009, 23:12

PlutonianEmpire wrote:On Monday I had a thought. Is it possible that the forces causing the Big Rip (dark energy) be so strong that after pulling apart the atoms, the very fabric of space would be pulled at, and somehow cause a new big bang where the pull of dark energy is the stronges? Is it possible, or more in the realm of science fiction?

FYI, you are in the realm of philosophy; I do not know whether this can help. The "pull of dark energy" sound as the aristotelic tenet of "motion out of the centre" that is of bodies naturally lights as well as gravity is the motion of weight bodies. Strange isn't?
Never at rest.
Massimo

ETSubmariner
With us: 14 years 5 months

Post #6by ETSubmariner » 07.01.2010, 20:20

Michael_k wrote:
MKruer wrote:Short Answer at the moment it looks like the universe is going to end as big rip.

Really? I thought the theory generally accepted by mainstream science was that about the universe ending in heat death rather than 'the big rip'? Has there been a breakthrough I haven't heard about?

Yes indeed! Its called plasma cosmology. hehe.

I just can't do it --> the inclusion of invisible as yet completely undetectable dark matter and then the new inclusion of dark energy (because dark matter was too much), on and on. Seems too much like an epicycle. The original hypotheses needs rethought.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #7by t00fri » 07.01.2010, 21:38

While plasma cosmology was indeed associated with a Nobel prize winner in the 1960's, it is entirely unpopular among professional cosmologists, since it doesn't like Einstein!

Fridger

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”