Methane on Mars

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
LordFerret M
With us: 18 years 1 month

Methane on Mars

Post #1by LordFerret » 18.01.2009, 06:51

I watched a presentation about this on NASA TV last night...
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/news/marsmethane.html

While there are a number of possibilities as to how the methane exists, the two possibilities (hoped most feasible?) featured in the presentation were: methane trapped in buried 'ice', and microbial generation. Either of the two appears to set the stage for the proper chemistry required for possible life existence. A green mars, past or future, may not be all that far-fetched a concept. 8O

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Re: Methane on Mars

Post #2by BobHegwood » 18.01.2009, 14:36

I saw that program on television also...
Another explanation for the methane involved the occurrence
of volcanic activity too, did it not?

Still, very interesting. :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Reiko
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #3by Reiko » 18.01.2009, 16:50

If they were to find microbes I wonder how radically different they would be from what we have here.

jdavies
With us: 15 years 9 months

Post #4by jdavies » 19.01.2009, 18:19

Bob,
Methane can be a by-product of volcanic activity. However, one NASA researcher mentioned that they did not see the usual chemical markers normally associated with volcanic methane. I have no idea what those markers would be though.

- Jeff

Topic author
LordFerret M

Post #5by LordFerret » 19.01.2009, 20:46

BobHegwood wrote:I saw that program on television also...
Another explanation for the methane involved the occurrence
of volcanic activity too, did it not?

Still, very interesting. :wink:
Yes Bob, it did... that was part of the example given for the methane in buried 'ice' scenario - volcanic activity, the heat melting the ice and releasing the methane. I'd like to know more about why it appears "... during the warmer seasons -- spring and summer ...", because that to me (that whole related paragraph) doesn't exactly sound like a volcanic related event. I eagerly await more research results! :D

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #6by ajtribick » 19.01.2009, 21:37

Whatever, MSL is still overhyped and overpriced. :P

jdavies
With us: 15 years 9 months

Post #7by jdavies » 20.01.2009, 19:36

Pardon my ignorance, but what is MSL?

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #8by Chuft-Captain » 20.01.2009, 22:24

jdavies wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is MSL?
Take your pick Jeff: http://www.acronymfinder.com/MSL.html
"overhyped and overpriced" ... my guess would be Martha Stewart Living. :wink: :twisted:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Reiko
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #9by Reiko » 20.01.2009, 22:26

jdavies wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is MSL?
Mars Science Laboratory

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #10by ajtribick » 20.01.2009, 22:27

Mars Science Laboratory. The next all-singing, all-dancing rover that NASA are going to drop in the middle of the most boring flat plains there are because we still haven't figured out the technology to land equipment anywhere vaguely interesting.

This is what Alan Stern had to say about it (and other problems at NASA).

symaski62
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #11by symaski62 » 21.01.2009, 00:20

windows 10 directX 12 version
celestia 1.7.0 64 bits
with a general handicap of 80% and it makes much d' efforts for the community and s' expimer, thank you d' to be understanding.

Topic author
LordFerret M

Post #12by LordFerret » 21.01.2009, 23:59

ajtribick wrote:Mars Science Laboratory. The next all-singing, all-dancing rover that NASA are going to drop in the middle of the most boring flat plains there are because we still haven't figured out the technology to land equipment anywhere vaguely interesting.

This is what Alan Stern had to say about it (and other problems at NASA).
A while back, before that article was written, CSPAN covered a conference during which the news media posed such questions about NASA's budget. I wish I could remember who/where/when, because you'd likely find viewing/reading the coverage interesting.

What I do recall quite clearly however, with regard to Alan Stern's statements as to reasons for the budget overruns, is that the issue of "unknowns" during project development dictates the development budget. There is no way of knowing all the issues up front, and often times arise when solutions for one issue only raise issues for other modules/phases. At the time of the conference on CSPAN, the issue at hand was over "actuators".

I wonder where the R&D budget concerns stand with the likes of ESA or RKA or CNSA in comparison. Is that information even available?

iniaes
With us: 15 years 7 months

Post #13by iniaes » 10.02.2009, 19:56

One of the things I love about NASA is ther open book policy (unless your a UFO spotter) Heck, I could built a Saturn V from the podcasts I have :P

Seriously though the Methane on Mars could be due to a whole host of reasone, the most exciting of which is microbial life, and as to how different it could be from microbes on Earth, they are a pretty diverse and adaptable to most any palce here already, so I guess the question would be, how many kinds are we going to find on the Red Planet?

As for the MSL, it is going to be an other interesting mission, using yet an other new entry vehicle design, and the new "sky-crane" system for rover delivery to the martian surface. I think that it could go really REALLLLY well, or go hilariously wrong, either way, a RTG powered rover is going to open up a whole new world of possibilities with its lack of dependence on solar power (despite the rovers Opportunity and Spirit {is that right :S } exceeding their expected lifetime many fold (over 5 years as opposed to the projected 3 months).

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”