Question about Moon's Apparent Magnitude

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Danial
With us: 16 years 5 months

Question about Moon's Apparent Magnitude

Post #1by Danial » 06.08.2008, 03:12

I was looking in Cartes du Ciel the other day and came across something I don't understand:

When the Moon is full (100% illumination) it has a Magnitude of -12.7 and when it's in quarter-phase (50% illumination) it has a Mag. of -10. Now, from the equations I can find online, that makes the full-moon 12x brighter than the quarter-moon, but, shouldn't it simply be 2x because it's double the illumination?? Can someone please explain this to me? I was trying to get my head around it for hours :(

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Re: Question about Moon's Apparent Magnitude

Post #2by selden » 06.08.2008, 12:08

The Moon is proportionally brighter when it's full because all of the surfaces that you see are fully illuminated. The light source (the Sun) is directly behind you. No shadows are visible. When the Moon is not full, you are also seeing all of the shadows of mountains and surface dust particles that the Sun casts on the Moon's surface, which are much darker.
Selden

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by granthutchison » 06.08.2008, 22:59

It's called the "opposition effect" and is similar to a phenomenon called "dry heiligenschein" here on Earth: you can see the latter when you look out of the window of a low-flying aeroplane, and see a bright patch on the ground surrounding the shadow of the plane. Lunar astronauts observed this same bright patch surrounding their shadows as they walked around on the moon. For instance, if you take a look at the famous Buzz Aldrin photo from Apollo 11 (2.4MB jpg), and zoom in on the reflection in his faceplate, you can see a bright halo of heiligenschein around the reflected shadow of his head. That's the same view Aldrin would have had when he looked at his own shadow.

When we look at the moon from Earth, it has a small enough angular diameter that the whole moon shows the same apparently anomalous brightening when it is "down sun" from us: that is, at full phase.

Grant

Topic author
Danial
With us: 16 years 5 months

Post #4by Danial » 06.08.2008, 23:51

wow, I've never heard of this before. I'm going to have to track down that photo I think :-)

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #5by granthutchison » 07.08.2008, 10:41

Danial wrote:wow, I've never heard of this before. I'm going to have to track down that photo I think :-)
Just click on the link I embedded in the words "Buzz Aldrin" in my post above, and you'll get the 2.4MB 2700x2700 jpg.

Grant

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”