A star is born.

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
MKruer
With us: 21 years 9 months

A star is born.

Post #1by MKruer » 10.06.2008, 21:22

I have been looking around for some specific information on star formation during the final stages. When a star ignites it pushes away all the gasses that were in the process of forming the star. If this is correct then what else happens to distinguish between a Red Dwarf and a Blue Giant. The ignition should be fairly consistent in terms of mass.

I have an idea but I am looking for some additional verification. From my understanding about star formation, is that as a nebulous cloud collapses at some point forms a proto star. At the center when the pressure is great enough ignition occur. Hydrogen forms into helium. Well give that the star density at the core. It will take a few million year for the reactions to reach the surface and consequential push the remaining falling gas away, leaving a typical star.

If this is true then what distinguishes a red dwarf from a blue giant is the amount of gas falling into the star after the proto star stage but before the core reactions reach the surface.

Is this correct?

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: A star is born.

Post #2by selden » 10.06.2008, 21:50

That's consistent with what I know, but I think you'll get more authoritative answers from an astronomy related Web Forum like http://www.bautforum.com/questions-answers/
Selden

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”