Water planet

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Water planet

Post #1by Fenerit » 21.02.2008, 13:56

Well, I've put the phrase "water planet" inside the Physics and Astronomy search and I've found nothing. So, the question is: How a water planet looks in the outer space when seen through an optic telescope?

The planet is assumed to have no lands, no clouds, no atmosphere, no ice; just a very huge drop of pure water in the sky. Will be possible to see it when occlude a star in the background? How about the albedo? Thanks in advance.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #2by Fenerit » 21.02.2008, 17:44

Ehi, guys: it's not my solution for the dark matter quest... Just a mental gymn.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #3by Johaen » 21.02.2008, 18:49

I don't think it's possible to have a big drop of water in the sky. w/o an atmosphere, it would just boil away. Even with an atmosphere I don't think it would work, for reasons I'm still trying to work out in my head. Stuff like pressure causing it to turn to ice, etc.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

LordFerret M
With us: 18 years 1 month

Re: Water planet

Post #4by LordFerret » 21.02.2008, 19:14

Fenerit wrote:Well, I've put the phrase "water planet" inside the Physics and Astronomy search and I've found nothing. So, the question is: How a water planet looks in the outer space when seen through an optic telescope?

The planet is assumed to have no lands, no clouds, no atmosphere, no ice; just a very huge drop of pure water in the sky. Will be possible to see it when occlude a star in the background? How about the albedo? Thanks in advance.

Like Europa does?

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #5by Fenerit » 21.02.2008, 19:22

Indeed, it's just an ideal case. Supposed as it is, I'm wonder about also the gravity, in this situation. Other questions could be: what happen to the particles of water at center? How big should be this drop either to inject the nuclear fusion or to reach the metallic hydrogen state, if any?
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Re: Water planet

Post #6by Fenerit » 21.02.2008, 19:24

LordFerret wrote:
Fenerit wrote:Well, I've put the phrase "water planet" inside the Physics and Astronomy search and I've found nothing. So, the question is: How a water planet looks in the outer space when seen through an optic telescope?

Like Europa does?

Oh, no; worst again! No solid nor gaseous state of matter.
Never at rest.
Massimo

MKruer
With us: 22 years

Post #7by MKruer » 21.02.2008, 20:51

I don't think what you are asking is physically possible, but it if was it would still look white like clouds. it does not matter if the drops a a foot in diameter, scaling back the light would still be refracted just like the smaller drops in clouds now.

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #8by julesstoop » 21.02.2008, 22:00

I think that a water planet, heavy enough to have an atmosphere so it doesn't evaporate, and sufficiently close to it's parent star not to freeze over, might need to be so big that the pressure near the centre might not allow for water to remain in it's normal liquid phase.

The upper roman numbers represent solid phases of water under high pressure.

Source:
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #9by Fenerit » 22.02.2008, 08:14

Thanks Julesstoop for the diagram.

MKruer, I'm not sure that the drop look "white like clouds" because I'm unable to figure out how the drop can have a reflection as well as refraction when beneath, to say, 1 km af deepth all the lights would be absorbed and no solid parts are to scatter the lights.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”