Post #21by BobHegwood » 27.10.2007, 01:53

Hey, THANKS for the references. They were indeed enlightening - and easily
readable too.

These references only agree with what I'm saying and thinking though. I
thought that we had some of the "comet guys" lurking around here. Any
rebuttal to these references? I really AM interested in hearing what you have
to say. A private message would be fine too. Since I have so much time on
my hands now, I just get lost in the intricacies of this stuff, but I really AM
interested in knowing what people think.

Hell, I thought certain that someone would have yelled at me by now...

Thanks, Bob
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

MKruer
With us: 22 years

Post #22by MKruer » 27.10.2007, 03:38

Not a problem. If they gave out degrees on finding information on the web, I would have a double doctorate in web searches. Also you will find most people here have been around for quite a while, and a lot of them have degrees in physics, so no one is going to yell at you or anything, (Unless you try to preach to us that the universe and physics are all flawed)

A lot of question about the universe are very fundamental, but often unknown because either we don?€™t have the evidence to prove things or we don?€™t have a reasonable explanation for what is observed. On top of that a lot of stuff is alien in concept because nothing like it exists on earth. Like how do you explain that gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn have no solid surface, only an ever increasing density of gas, so dense in fact that if you could strip away the upper layers, you could walk on it.

I myself try to explain stuff in layman?€™s term as to be easier to understand then some of the more technical information. It might be construed as slightly inaccurate, but it will at least be close.

In a recent example that you might be interested in, some one asked what would be required to turn the sun into a black hole. http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11571

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #23by BobHegwood » 07.11.2007, 04:13

I admit it when I'm wrong, or change my mind...

See topic http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11600
for more information. Briefly, I saw a VERY good explanation of the
comet theories on the NATGEO channel.

Thanks, Bob
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

slaughterhouse
With us: 16 years 10 months

Post #24by slaughterhouse » 11.11.2007, 16:46

Well, there is a boatload (technical term) of oxygen in the crust of Earth, and there is a boatload of hydrogen in space, so if you can figure out how our local bubble collapsed long enough to allow for the interstellar hydrogen to combine with the early molten Earth's atmosphere, you'll get a boatload of water, along with a boatload of other nasty acids.

But the Moon is pretty beat up, and the Earth would have likely gotten more of the same. And there is also water falling on to Earth all the time. There are probably just as many "grains of ice" streaking through the atmosphere as there are "grains of sand". They turn to vapor, and produce micro snow showers, and this water joins Earth's hydrologic cycle. It is constant.

Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 20 years

Post #25by PlutonianEmpire » 17.11.2007, 19:08

Wow, thanks for the explanations, I have a better understanding of this topic now. :)
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #26by cartrite » 13.12.2007, 03:34

Perhaps another question to ask is where all the free nitrogen came from.
Except for the earth, this seems to be an uncommon gas near the sun but more common out near the gas giants.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #27by Fenerit » 13.12.2007, 11:09

cartrite wrote:Perhaps another question to ask is where all the free nitrogen came from.
Except for the earth, this seems to be an uncommon gas near the sun but more common out near the gas giants.
cartrite

Yes, indeed. Even this it's a great question!
Never at rest.
Massimo

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”