Calypso and Tethys Collide?

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Neethis
With us: 18 years 9 months

Calypso and Tethys Collide?

Post #1by Neethis » 12.09.2007, 22:36

Hey all.

Ive been facinated by the moons of Saturn for a little while now, and recently I found this:

This was taken at aobut the closest approach I could get, with the two little moons just further than 1000Km from each other. I dont know how accurate Celestia's projections will be that far in the future (31st December 5025 :P ) but what do you all think would happen in such an encounter? Could they collide? Could Calypso be ejected from the Saturn system? Or would they sail harmlessly past each other? :)
FOR SALE: One small planet, red in colour, two small moons included. Moving due to difficult neighbours. Atmosphere and price negotiable.

Hunter Parasite
With us: 19 years

Post #2by Hunter Parasite » 12.09.2007, 23:02

I'll be around in the next 3000 years to watch that. :)

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #3by selden » 13.09.2007, 00:32

The formulae that Celestia uses are valid for fewer than +/- 3000 years, even less for some. After that, it reverts to using the EllipticalOrbit definitions in the object's SSC catalog entry. In other words, that particular close encounter is strictly imaginary.

Of course, some of Saturn's moons, like Janus and Epimetheus, do have frequent close encounters, but Celestia cannot yet model those. :(
Selden

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”