Otherworldly life

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Tech Sgt. Chen
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #61by Tech Sgt. Chen » 18.11.2005, 02:30

Wow, what a bummer! I typed out a response that took over an hour to complete and the darn thing prompted me to login again wiping out the entire post. It was pretty poignant too. Ok, I have to abbreviate it this time but, that's what got me into trouble in the first place (I type way, too slow).

Dollan Wrote:
I feel that I have to interject here on one point: "Contact" was clearly not a representation of Carl Sagan's beliefs, nor was he, over all, a fiction writer. He used his "Contact" novel to put forth a great fictional idea he had, while attempting to remain within the realm of hard science (the idea of using wormholes was actually provided by Kip Thorne).

I'm not certain how many such novels Sagan wrote, but his other primary works were assuredly not fictional.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I know he's not a fiction writer. I saw an interview with him on television (I think over the making of the movie but, may have been the book also; it was a long time ago) in which he said that it was a combination of Science and his beliefs. Were my beliefs intertwined in my post? Yes but, they really were not of a religious nature.
The analogy I gave concerning the picture was taken directly from an analogy he gave on the possibility of a 4th dimension, though certainly not verbatim since I heard it so long ago. That's where I got it from! When I said "consider this" I meant it as a "think of this" NOT A "understand this".

I realize, especially in light of a few incidents over the past few days at work, that misunderstandings can occur when people are unfamiliar with one another's habits, verbage or humor. People come to know the verbal signatures we use in our descriptive terms or word usage which can be the difference between a house of silence or laughter after a joke.
I reread my post and say to myself, "I don't see the interjection of religion here" but then again, I know exactly what I meant when I wrote it. I took it for granted that everyone else would understand my metaphors and comparisons. Unfortunately, it got blown out of proportion but, the misunderstanding of my attempts at sarcasm and humor leave me no choice to conclude that, I am unfamiliar (still) with members of this forum and some are unfamiliar with me.
So to everyone, including Malenfant, I extend my apologies for any inappropriate content or apparent tone in my post. It was however, just an opinion and, it wasn't from a religious point of view, honestly! :?
Hi guys. Listen, they're telling me the uh,
generators won't take it, the ship is breaking apart and all that. Just, FYI.
(Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core 3Ghz, 8GB DDR2-800, 500GB SATA 7200RPM HD, 580W,
GeForce 9600GT-512, 64Bit, Vista Home Premium)

Lothar_GR
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #62by Lothar_GR » 19.03.2006, 20:48

What do i believe about life in other places in the universe? I doubt that we are "alone" in this vastness of the universe, but i dont know if we will ever come in contact with anyone...

Isnt it a bit depressing? With our imagination / science fiction we dream travels to other stars, contacts with other civilizations and yet we know that it is impossible - at least it seems that way with the knowledge we have so far, and noone can say that with the added knowledge of future generations this will alter.

However man never stops dreaming. This is one of the things that have driven science forward for centuries and many times it has been proven that dreams someday may come true. They just might. Simply Probably it won't be for us to see those dreams come true ( if they will ever will ) - maybe it is too early and maybe we know far too little about the universe still.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”