Dawn Mission cancelled!

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Ynjevi
With us: 21 years 5 months

Dawn Mission cancelled!

Post #1by Ynjevi » 03.03.2006, 07:52

Yeah, you read it right. There will be no mission to Ceres or Vesta.

:evil:

Dollan
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #2by Dollan » 03.03.2006, 14:30

This doesn't come as a surprise. I can almost guarantee that all of the missions that were "indefinitely postponed" will be cancelled, and that they already are cancelled for all intents and purposes.

The real pain in the assstronomy is that several of these missions, such as the Europa mission, already had congressional approval.

I'll admit that the Dawn mission was way over budget (40 million or so, I believe), and that there were technical problems holding them back, but this is still enough of a development to give me an even deeper sinking feeling in my stomach than before.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Malenfant
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #3by Malenfant » 03.03.2006, 15:24

I'm really starting to hate NASA. I was looking forward to that one...
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Dollan

Post #4by Dollan » 03.03.2006, 15:29

Malenfant wrote:I'm really starting to hate NASA. I was looking forward to that one...

It wouldn't be so bad if there were some other good science goals in the works. But as far as I can find, the only goal there is right now is the completion of another ISS construction phase before the shuttle is decommissioned in 2010. Nothing like feeding a white elephant....

...John...
--Carl Sagan

The Singing Badger

Post #5by The Singing Badger » 04.03.2006, 19:11

Depressing news. As a small consolation, the ESA has an interesting asteroid mission in the pipeline called Don Quijote. Looks like it's still a long way in the future, but it's something to pin our hopes to.

http://www.esa.int/gsp/completed/neo/donquijote.html
http://www.esa.int/gsp/NEO/

Maybe ESA is the future for planetary science, not NASA?

Topic author
Ynjevi
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #6by Ynjevi » 04.03.2006, 22:40

Well, if you think that NASA has too much bureaucracy, compare it to ESA...
I've heard that mission approval procedure is much more complicated in ESA, an already accepted mission may be tossed around again... NASA has been more straightforward on this.

The success of Mars Express has been important for ESA, but it has a lot to learn before it becomes anything like NASA on planetary science.

One should not forget that ESA has budget woes too... For example, it is possible that BepiColombo the long-prepared Mercury mission may be cancelled altogether. Mars Express was based on Russian design, and Venus Express was actually built from the "scrap pieces" left from the MEX mission.

The Singing Badger

Post #7by The Singing Badger » 05.03.2006, 23:43

Darn it. And JAXA sucks too. This is depressing. Is it me or is Western civilization disappearing down the plughole? Time to start learning Chinese... :wink:

Dollan

Post #8by Dollan » 06.03.2006, 15:24

If it helps, the more homework that I do on the Dawn Mission, the more I become convinced that it was a losing battle. The project was already over $60 million in cost overruns, with at least 29 identified technological problems that were not close to being solved at all.

In this case, at least, the cancellation was probably a good thing. I hope they continue to work with the technology, independent of any mission, to solve these problems, and then resubmit the mission in a new incarnation.

But Dawn itself... it looks like it was another white elephant.

...John...
--Carl Sagan

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: Dawn Mission cancelled!

Post #9by danielj » 06.03.2006, 19:49

Daniel,

I have deleted the contents of this post.

Political statements are not welcome on the Celestia forum.

Selden

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”