Unit Conversion

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Unit Conversion

Post #1by buggs_moran » 21.09.2005, 14:33

Howdy folks,

Due to a recent post dealing with unit conversion I figured I'd post a link to the program I use on my computers (useful when you're not online). It's free and fast and as far as I can tell, contains no spyware. It contains an engineering reference dictionary as well as the converter.

http://www.engnetglobal.com/tips/toolsapp/default.aspx
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #2by Spaceman Spiff » 21.09.2005, 21:53

Does it tell you the conversion rate of Tuesdays to market prices in Dollars or Euros so we'd know what to charge you for Windows CVS builds?*

Spiff.

* Sorry, couldn't resist!

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #3by buggs_moran » 22.09.2005, 19:03

:lol: funny Europeans... That actually made me (L)augh (O)ut (L)oud, Thanks!
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #4by buggs_moran » 20.11.2005, 16:15

I found a good website (no ads, no popups) with online conversion features today and figured I'd post it.

http://www.unitconversion.org/

And I figured I would also offer up this site with tons of engineering, science, and mathematical references. It is heavily geared to RF and Electrical Engineering, but has many, many other references. It is a bit cluttered, and has ads, but I think it is still worth the bookmark. I wish I had this reference in college, but the internet didn't have "sites" yet. Everything collected in one place was called a library. :wink:
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Captain Nephilim
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #5by Captain Nephilim » 20.12.2005, 22:31

Thanks, Buggs. That will be handy.

Here's a quick and simple web-based calculator for converting light years to AUs, light seconds to miles, etc: http://www.easysurf.cc/cnver15.htm

And for extra geekiness, here's a calculator to convert warp speed (or warp factor) to multiples of c (the speed of light): http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/script_warpcalc.html

It's interesting: turns out that, according to my own guesstimation, the ships on Star Trek would have to be moving at something between 1 and 5 light years per second, in order for the stars to zoom by even at the slowest rate depicted on TV. But 1 light year per second (F7 key in Celestia for Windows) works out to something like Warp 9.99975. At a typical cruise velocity of Warp 5 or 6, the background stars would not move noticeably at all . . . and it would take the Enterprise days to get from Earth to Alpha Centauri.

-
-------------------------
---------------------------------
-----Cpt----------------------------------
---------Nephilim--------------------------------------
--------------------------------
--------------------
----------

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #6by buggs_moran » 21.12.2005, 02:17

Captain Nephilim wrote:Thanks, Buggs. That will be handy.

It's interesting: turns out that, according to my own guesstimation, the ships on Star Trek would have to be moving at something between 1 and 5 light years per second, in order for the stars to zoom by even at the slowest rate depicted on TV. But 1 light year per second (F7 key in Celestia for Windows) works out to something like Warp 9.99975. At a typical cruise velocity of Warp 5 or 6, the background stars would not move noticeably at all . . . and it would take the Enterprise days to get from Earth to Alpha Centauri.

-

There are many, many, more stars in the same sphere as the 2.5 million brightest stars catalogued in the Tycho database, which is the best you can do for Celestia. However, you are correct in saying the stars zooming by between here and A-Cen would not be seen. As for it taking days, well, yeah, it took the crew days to pass between systems. They only got to places fast if they went to warp 9 if memory serves me...
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Captain Nephilim
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #7by Captain Nephilim » 21.12.2005, 02:54

buggs_moran wrote:There are many, many, more stars in the same sphere as the 2.5 million brightest stars catalogued in the Tycho database, which is the best you can do for Celestia...

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. But I don't have any reason to think that the Enterprise D (or Voyager, etc) was usually in an area of the galaxy that was far denser than our local neighborhood. Even in the volume of the galaxy relatively nearby Sol (lets say 1000 light years) there aren't enough stars to justify the number you see zooming by on Star Trek. And now that I think about it, I guess you're right about how long it took them to get around.

I think I read Michael Okuda (or Rick Sternbach or someone) saying that maybe the "stars" you see on the show during warp were actually interstellar dust and pebbles excited to glowing by the warp field.

Whatever.

-
-------------------------

---------------------------------

-----Cpt----------------------------------

---------Nephilim--------------------------------------

--------------------------------

--------------------

----------

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”