The Inevitability of Rings....

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Dollan
With us: 20 years 6 months

The Inevitability of Rings....

Post #1by Dollan » 23.02.2005, 08:59

Given that every Jovian world in our system has rings of one type or another, would it be a logical assumption to say that at least most gas giants around other stars have rings as well? Would having rings be an inevitable consequence to being a gas giant?

I realize that we can't say with absolute certainty one way or another, but I'm interested your opinions.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 8 months

Re: The Inevitability of Rings....

Post #2by Michael Kilderry » 23.02.2005, 09:51

If you think about it though, every planet in our solar system has got some specks of dust floating around it however inconspicuous those specks may be. In a way, all the geostationary satellites around Earth form some sort of a ring as well, it might be just what you'd actually call a ring that makes the difference.

Michael Kilderry :)
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004
100th post - 11th November 2004
200th post - 23rd January 2005
300th post - 21st February 2005
400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #3by Evil Dr Ganymede » 23.02.2005, 17:22

Dollan wrote:Given that every Jovian world in our system has rings of one type or another, would it be a logical assumption to say that at least most gas giants around other stars have rings as well? Would having rings be an inevitable consequence to being a gas giant?

I realize that we can't say with absolute certainty one way or another, but I'm interested your opinions.

...John...

I'd say that it looks like it's rare for a jovian NOT to have rings. However, I think it's a lot more likely that jovians that are far from their primary star can retain rings - hot jupiters won't have them (they wouldn't be stable due to tides and temperature) and jovians within the snow line probably won't have them either for similar reasons.

Jupiter's ring seems to be maintained by material knocked off Amalthea and Metis and Adrastea. Not sure if Uranus' and Neptune's are maintained in a similar manner, but it seems that close asteroidal satellites have some role in maintaining them. Saturn's rings may be an entirely different kettle of fish though - given that we have four jovians and only one has a spectacular system, maybe a saturn-like ring system is rare.

Topic author
Dollan
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #4by Dollan » 23.02.2005, 17:29

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:I'd say that it looks like it's rare for a jovian NOT to have rings. However, I think it's a lot more likely that jovians that are far from their primary star can retain rings - hot jupiters won't have them (they wouldn't be stable due to tides and temperature) and jovians within the snow line probably won't have them either for similar reasons.

Would the same be said for large (or even small) moons, then?

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:Jupiter's ring seems to be maintained by material knocked off Amalthea and Metis and Adrastea. Not sure if Uranus' and Neptune's are maintained in a similar manner, but it seems that close asteroidal satellites have some role in maintaining them. Saturn's rings may be an entirely different kettle of fish though - given that we have four jovians and only one has a spectacular system, maybe a saturn-like ring system is rare.

As far as Jupiter goes, what does Io have to do with the rings, anything? If material falls inward to coat Amalthea, wouldn't it also contribute to the ring system?

And Saturn... is the old thought that we are lucky to be seeing the rings at all still valid? I remember reading somewhere that it had been speculated that the rings might have a life time of about 5 million years, a pretty small geological window.

Of course, if there is some other mechanism aside from a shattered satellite which made the rings, then we need to account for how they are sufficiently replenished.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #5by ajtribick » 23.02.2005, 17:45

Further questions - while I can see how rings around hot Jupiters would be rare because of stability, surely within the snowline rocky ring systems (as opposed to icy) wouldn't be too rare? Also could material removed from the atmospheres of hot Jupiters (e.g. at HD 209458) form a ring system of sorts?

Another possibility: Brown dwarf rings - given that brown dwarfs have large Roche limits because of their high density brown dwarf rings could be a likely possibility, which raises the question of what happens when a brown dwarf ring system (which could be icy because there is not much heat from the brown dwarf) gets hit by a flare (which apparently can happen on brown dwarfs).

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”