Atmospheres of 55 Cnc b & c

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Atmospheres of 55 Cnc b & c

Post #1by ajtribick » 18.02.2005, 23:16

I am planning to create textures for the planets of the 55 Cnc system, with the possibility of an add-on of some kind, and would like to get the textures as realistic as possible.

Some questions about the appearance of b & c: would clouds on these planets be possible?

According to Extrasolar Visions, planet b is too far out for silicate clouds to form, although it does not mention whether other kinds of clouds would be possible (sulphuric acid/sulphur ?  la Venus for example). I suppose long-chained hydrocarbons would also be a possibility, but as far as I have been able to make out these don't occur very much, and on Earth at least they are the products of biological activity. Also, according to this article, epistellar planets may have a layer of broadly-absorbing sodium gas, which would give the planet a dark appearance. However I am not sure what kind of atmospheric temperatures are required to get significant quantities of sodium gas into a planetary atmosphere, or how to work out whether any clouds would be above or below the sodium haze level.

Out of interest, what are the typical temperature ranges for various different cloud types to be possible? E.g. silicates, sulphur/sulphuric acid, water, carbon dioxide, ammonia, methane, nitrogen.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by ajtribick on 19.02.2005, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #2by Michael Kilderry » 19.02.2005, 02:43

Planet b would most likely be deep blue with very few clouds, as in Extrasolar visions' image of the world, Planet c could possibly have a lot of water ice clouds.

Michael Kilderry :)
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004
100th post - 11th November 2004
200th post - 23rd January 2005
300th post - 21st February 2005
400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #3by ajtribick » 19.02.2005, 11:23

Michael Kilderry wrote:Planet b would most likely be deep blue with very few clouds, as in Extrasolar visions' image of the world, Planet c could possibly have a lot of water ice clouds.

I'm not entirely sure about that. The thing is I don't know what considerations have been made for the Extrasolar Visions speculations. For example I don't think the sodium haze effect has been taken into account on any of the speculations, so I'm still unsure whether there are other cloud types that might be stable in these planets' atmospheres.

Furthermore I am inclined to be suspicious of EV, take the eccentricity of Gliese 777 A b as an example.

Dollan
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #4by Dollan » 19.02.2005, 18:14

Not only that, but Extrasolar Visions seems to have thrown out all of these interesting planet types, but without any documentation as to how he came to conclude what they were. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful site; I visit it regularily. But I wouldn't use it as a source of information for planetary appearance or composition, not until there is a lot of reference material added.

I am confused, though; what do you find suspicious about the planetary eccentricity of Gliese 777 Ab?

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #5by Evil Dr Ganymede » 19.02.2005, 18:17

Michael Kilderry wrote:Planet b would most likely be deep blue with very few clouds, as in Extrasolar visions' image of the world, Planet c could possibly have a lot of water ice clouds.

Why would it be "most likely" to be blue with few clouds?

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #6by ajtribick » 19.02.2005, 18:33

Dollan wrote:I am confused, though; what do you find suspicious about the planetary eccentricity of Gliese 777 Ab?

...John...

Both Extrasolar Visions and SolStation give the eccentricity of Gliese 777 Ab as ~0. The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia and the Geneva Observatory and the discovery paper give a high eccentricity around 0.4.

Dollan
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #7by Dollan » 19.02.2005, 18:38

Ah., isn't that interesting. Sol Station is usually much better about such mistakes (and here I am, of course, assuming that the Encyclopaedia and the paper are correct). I wonder if there wasn't an initial change of value that was never reflected on those other two sites.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #8by Michael Kilderry » 20.02.2005, 03:10

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:

Why would it be "most likely" to be blue with few clouds?

I probaably shouldn't have taken Extrasolar Visions so literally, as a lot of you seem a bit skeptical of the site, and this was one bit of info I got out of the site.

Here's an explanation to b being likely to be blue with few clouds:

Planet b of 55 Cancri is too close to it's star to have water ice clouds, so trhe atmosphere may be nearly cloudless, resulting in Rayleigh Scattering colouring the planet blue.

But then again, the clouds could possibly be sulphur resulting in a giant Venus-like world, or the planet could even have a sodium atmosphere. In other words we really don't know enough yet.

My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004

100th post - 11th November 2004

200th post - 23rd January 2005

300th post - 21st February 2005

400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

Topic author
ajtribick
Developer

Post #9by ajtribick » 20.02.2005, 22:32

So are there any ways of deducing whether a molecule can remain in the planet's atmosphere over long timescales, and whether it could form clouds?

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”