General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Sky Pilot
With us: 19 years 9 months
Location: Moved recently from the Bihem System, now in Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Outcast star

Post #1by Sky Pilot » 09.02.2005, 22:26

Does anyone know which star this is?

WASHINGTON: An outcast star is zooming out of the Milky Way, the first ever seen escaping the galaxy, astronomers said on Tuesday.

The star is heading for the emptiness of intergalactic space after being ejected from the heart of the Milky Way following a close encounter with a black hole, said Warren Brown, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. The outcast is going so fast, over 1.5 million mph, that astronomers believe it was lobbed out of the galaxy by the tremendous force of a black hole thought to sit at the Milky Way's center.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

andersa
With us: 19 years 8 months

Re: Outcast star

Post #2by andersa » 09.02.2005, 22:50

Sky Pilot wrote:Does anyone know which star this is?

I haven't seen any coordinates, but Harvard-Smithsonian has issued a press release with a photo.
Anders Andersson

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #3by Spaceman Spiff » 09.02.2005, 23:04

Over 0.2% the speed of light. Poor thing!

Spiff.

andersa

Re: Outcast star

Post #4by andersa » 09.02.2005, 23:32

I found some data in an Astrophysics Journal letter: The star's location in the sky is 9h 07m 45.0s, +2?°45'07'' (J2000); that should be in constellation Hydra. Its distance is estimated to 55 kpc. Its radial velocity is given as 853?±12 km/s, more than twice the escape velocity for the Milky Way. Bye, bye! :)

I wonder if it remembered to bring a towel, or at least some dust to make planets from... :roll:
Anders Andersson

Topic author
Sky Pilot
With us: 19 years 9 months
Location: Moved recently from the Bihem System, now in Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Post #5by Sky Pilot » 10.02.2005, 00:00

Is there enough known data to model this in Celestia? It would be interesting to project it's path into the future
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

tony873004
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #6by tony873004 » 10.02.2005, 04:20

I don't see how the Milky Way's central black hole could eject this star, for the same reason that spacecraft can't use the Sun for a gravity boost. It would have had to receive its escape boost from something else, perhaps another black hole that orbits the central black hole.

andersa

How to escape from the galaxy

Post #7by andersa » 11.02.2005, 14:07

tony873004 wrote:It would have had to receive its escape boost from something else, perhaps another black hole that orbits the central black hole.

That's indeed one of the theories presented for the history of this star. Another is that it may have been part of a binary star system in very close formation, the other component of which came too close to a black hole and was swallowed. Having suddenly lost its companion, the remaining component was then sufficiently far away from the black hole not to be swallowed and moving faster than the escape velocity at that point. Knowing the general mass distribution in the Milky Way, it should be possible to work out approximately what was the speed of this star when it was still near the center of the galaxy 80 million years ago.

These theories have already been worked out well in advance of the first observation of what is now believed to be such a star. Anybody curious about the scientific details should probably study the Astrophysics Journal article I mention above (I didn't read it through myself).
Anders Andersson

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”