Single-Star method of polar alignment

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Dollard Desmarais
With us: 20 years 11 months

Single-Star method of polar alignment

Post #1by Dollard Desmarais » 12.11.2004, 01:04

I am trying to develop a polar alignment routine for my GEM telescope. This is a telescope I have to carry in the field, so the drift method is out of the question. The simplest method I have found to date is one first described by Dennis DiCicco. This is the method in summary:

This technique was described by Dennis DiCicco in the December 1986 Sky & Telescope. With practice, it takes only 10 minutes. First, follow the steps in the previous section to align the mount with the celestial pole. Then aim the telescope at a bright star near the celestial equator whose right ascension is known, preferably in coordinates for the current year.
With the star centered in the eyepiece, rotate the right ascension circle so that it displays the star’s right ascension. Now, swing the telescope back until the circles show the coordinates of Polaris. Move RA first, then Dec. When swinging the mount in declination, be sure to stop at the first 89-degree setting. Do not go past the 90-degree mark on the other side. Lock the mount in RA and Dec. Don’t worry if Polaris is not in the field.
Using the mount’s fine altitude and azimuth adjustments, move it until Polaris is in the center of the field of a medium-power eyepiece. Do not move declination or right ascension motions. Once Polaris is in the center, unlock the telescope and swing it back to the calibration star. Adjust the RA circle again if necessary. Repeat the procedure . Each repetition should require fewer and fewer adjustments. If the starting position was fairly close, only a couple of iterations should be needed to zero in on the pole.

Terence Dickinson in The Backyard Astronomer's Guide lists some stars that meet the criterion of being "near the celestial equator". My question is the following: In a planetarium program, how does one locate the celestial equator so as to choose stars that are near the celestial equator?

Topic author
Dollard Desmarais
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #2by Dollard Desmarais » 12.11.2004, 01:32

The answer to my question must have something to do with grids. The available grids on my planetarium program are: galactic, ecliptic, RA/dec, Alt/Az.

Matt McIrvin
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #3by Matt McIrvin » 08.12.2004, 02:57

Dollard Desmarais wrote:The answer to my question must have something to do with grids. The available grids on my planetarium program are: galactic, ecliptic, RA/dec, Alt/Az.

You want RA/dec. The celestial equator is at declination zero.

In Celestia, the ; key turns on an RA/declination grid.

Probably the best-known thing near the celestial equator is the belt of Orion.

Post #4by Guest » 08.12.2004, 04:17

Thanks for the answer. As someone explained it to me, the celestial equator is half-way between the celestial poles. I'm anxious for a clear night where I can put things into practice.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”