How far away would other intelligent life be?

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia

If intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe, how far away do you think it would be?

Poll ended at 30.06.2003, 04:34

Within 10 light-years
11%
Within 100 light-years
5%
Within 1,000 light-years
37%
Within 10,000 light-years
11%
Within 50,000 light-years
16%
In a nearby galaxy
11%
In a distant galaxy
11%

Total votes: 19

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #21by Don. Edwards » 25.06.2003, 00:46

This conversation between Rass and Fridger is getting to sound like two "Time Lords" having a pleasant chat! :D

Welcome back official Rass!!! :D

Don.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Borg Collective
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #22by Borg Collective » 25.06.2003, 00:55

john Van Vliet wrote:My personal beleaf is that E.T. is watching our daytime and prime time T.V.
and has decided that they want nothing ,whatever, to do with us !!!

Maybe they are afraid that once you, terrans, find out that they have been observing you, ou just might stop the emitting and ruin them a good fun of laughing on you!

What am I doing? Ah, nothing much. Just laying on my bed, watching the stars, and sky, and keep asking myself: 'Where the Hell is my Roof?'.

Post #23by guest » 25.06.2003, 01:17

Another question. How about all those people who say they have been abducted by little grey aliens. I think they are making it up or having waking dreams or just plain nuts. Does anyone out there
believe they are telling the truth?

:roll:

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #24by Evil Dr Ganymede » 25.06.2003, 01:33

Insufficient evidence either way, I'd say.

Furthermore, while valid-looking physical explanations may be proposed (like that thing about peoples brains being affected by electric/magnetic fields etc), that doesn't necessarily mean that's what is actually happening. Skeptics are just as guilty of jumping to conclusions as the UFOnuts.

Best to keep an open mind, I think.

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #25by Don. Edwards » 25.06.2003, 03:32

I read a book a few years ago called "Night Eyes". I really liked it and it put a new spin on the whole UFO and grey alien spin. In the book the aliens are really us but from millions of years in the future. They were genetically altered to be warriors against another race of beings they came across and found them to be aggressive. So these altered future humans went to fight a war and they completely eliminated the aliens and when they came home to Earth found the aliens had snuck in around them and had killed the all life on the planet except for lowly bacteria. So they built a time machine to travel back in time to start a repopulation project, hence the abductions and exams. The books other main subplot was that there was a mass extinction coming within a year hear on Earth and that there time was running out. The book doesn't go into to much detail of what was going to happen but it sounded like the Sun and Earth's magnetic field wee involved. Now, before you go and say that any future humans that came back in time and by interfering with people from our time would create a paradox the author had a great out for this. In the story one of the aliens was asked about time paradox and his answer was it could only be a paradox if it matters to anyone, but since almost everyone in the world was going to be dead within a year there will be no paradox. That all future humans were going to come from a very small group of survivors that were isolated in New Zealand. So even if the rest of world new what they were up to it made no difference because they would all be dead in a short time and all the knowledge and history of this visit would be lost. Another thing was brought up in the story. There was a scientist who flat out wouldn’t believe that they were aliens. When someone in the story mentioned that maybe they were from the future that perked his interest. He felt it more likely to find future humans could coming through time than to find any alien life visiting us here. I am cutting things down to bare minimums here. It really was a great book and I think I will pull it out of storage and give it another read.

Don.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #26by Evil Dr Ganymede » 25.06.2003, 04:33

On a related note, it always amuses me that people would believe that angels exist, but the same people would be outraged if one suggested that angels were actually aliens trying to guide human affairs. But because angels are described in the bible, people believe in them more than they would in aliens.

There's really very little difference between the two in practise. Both angels/demons and aliens are otherworldly creatures, and either way there is no solid evidence that to show whether they really exist or not.

Borg Collective

Post #27by Borg Collective » 25.06.2003, 11:22

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:Best to keep an open mind, I think.

Couldn't agree more (in our case, keep your cordical implant).
What am I doing? Ah, nothing much. Just laying on my bed, watching the stars, and sky, and keep asking myself: 'Where the Hell is my Roof?'.

ElPelado
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #28by ElPelado » 25.06.2003, 11:40

i heard once a story of a lady that i know. she told what happened to her: she was very sick, maybe going to die. once when she was sitting in a bar with a friend, a man dressed in GREY COLOR that told her: "You will be fine". she told that she only listened to the words, she didnt saw the man. after a month she was cured. then her friend told her about that strange man and when he told her about the grey color, she realized that maybe that man was an angel.
i dont know what to believe...
---------X---------
EL XENTENARIO
1905-2005

My page:
http://www.urielpelado.com.ar
My Gallery:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/gallery/view_al ... y-Universe

LadyHawke
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #29by LadyHawke » 25.06.2003, 14:23

ElPelado wrote:i heard once a story of a lady that i know. she told what happened to her: she was very sick, maybe going to die. once when she was sitting in a bar with a friend, a man dressed in GREY COLOR that told her: "You will be fine". she told that she only listened to the words, she didnt saw the man. after a month she was cured. then her friend told her about that strange man and when he told her about the grey color, she realized that maybe that man was an angel.
i dont know what to believe...

There are countless stories just like that...i'm reading a book about them now, and someone very close to me has had an encounter with an angel...believe what you like, but in my own mind, no one could ever persuade me to believe otherwise....angels are celestial beings whose love can encompass us anytime we call upon it...

Topic author
Paul
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #30by Paul » 26.06.2003, 03:20

To individual designated as "Paul":

Additional information aquired.
You should modify your poll:

1. Within 10 light-years
2. 10-100 light-years radius
3. 100-1,000 light-years radius
4. 1,000-10,000 light-years radius
5. 10,000-50,000 light-years radius
6. In a nearby galaxy
7. In a distant galaxy

Why? "Within 50,000 light-years" includes all options before it.

Who cares? Everybody knew what I meant. What you suggest would be a waste of effort - suspiciously un-Borg-like behaviour! Perhaps you are just a human pretending to be Borg... :wink:

Cheers,
Paul

Borg Collective

Post #31by Borg Collective » 26.06.2003, 12:13

Paul wrote:
To individual designated as "Paul":

Additional information aquired.
You should modify your poll:

1. Within 10 light-years
2. 10-100 light-years radius
3. 100-1,000 light-years radius
4. 1,000-10,000 light-years radius
5. 10,000-50,000 light-years radius
6. In a nearby galaxy
7. In a distant galaxy

Why? "Within 50,000 light-years" includes all options before it.

Who cares? Everybody knew what I meant. What you suggest would be a waste of effort - suspiciously un-Borg-like behaviour! Perhaps you are just a human pretending to be Borg... :wink:

Cheers,
Paul

To the (imperfect) individual designated as "Paul":

If you have examined us, the Borg, this error would not happen.
You speak of efficiency ("...waste of effort...") designating it a "un-Borg-like behaviour".
We, the Borg, are a massive organization of cybernetic organisms assimilated from other species and cultures, and one of the most fearsome and unrelenting forces in the Milky Way galaxy.
We are on imperialistic mission of assimilation and on quest for perfection. In striving for perfection, we assimilate civilizations in whose technology and biology we are interested in. Perfection is our ultimate goal, the goal of Borg Collective.

Your primitive communication is meaningless and even when it has meaning it's a double one. There are no "maybes" inside Collective, it's Assimilation or a failed objective, on or off,... 1 or 0.

This poll, in it's unmodified form, only proves your inefficiency and imperfection.

LadyHawke

Post #32by LadyHawke » 26.06.2003, 14:27

I'm glad I'm not a Borg :? far too serious....life on this Altarian beach is much more simple 8)

Borg Collective

Post #33by Borg Collective » 26.06.2003, 14:37

LadyHawke wrote:I'm glad I'm not a Borg :? far too serious....life on this Altarian beach is much more simple 8)

To the individual designated as "LadyHawke":

There is no Perfection without complexity.

LadyHawke

Post #34by LadyHawke » 26.06.2003, 15:03

hmmm....maybe that's why i'm such a complex individual :wink:

ElPelado

Post #35by ElPelado » 26.06.2003, 15:39

yeah, who needs to be "perfect", who needs perfection? I am not perfect, and I am really far from beeing perfect, and I am doing fine, like almost everyone borned in this planet.

BUT, if you, Borg, want to be perfect, do what you thinks is necessary to be Perfect.

PD: sorry for saying the word "perfect" so many times, like you see, I'm not perfect. :cry:
---------X---------

EL XENTENARIO

1905-2005

My page:

My Gallery:

Borg Collective

Post #36by Borg Collective » 26.06.2003, 15:52

ElPelado wrote:yeah, who needs to be "perfect", who needs perfection? I am not perfect, and I am really far from beeing perfect, and I am doing fine, like almost everyone borned in this planet.

BUT, if you, Borg, want to be perfect, do what you thinks is necessary to be Perfect.

PD: sorry for saying the word "perfect" so many times, like you see, I'm not perfect. :cry:

You have made the same error once more... Seems you are only living individual UNDER the surface of your planet. There was no Atomic Holocaust, just to mention, you may leave those shelters...

We wish to achieve (and are achiving) perfection through assimilation of other species, taking their Biology and Technology and incorporating it into our own. Perfection, the ultimate goal of Borg.

ElPelado

Post #37by ElPelado » 26.06.2003, 16:48

I 've already told you: I am not perfect, I'm human, and like you may know, humans are the only animals that make tha same error twice(or maybe more than twice).

BTW: I live on(or "in"?) where all the buildings MUST have sheltters, so maybe you are not so wrong about it :)

I have a question: did someone of you participate in Star Trek?
---------X---------

EL XENTENARIO

1905-2005

My page:

My Gallery:

Borg Collective

Post #38by Borg Collective » 26.06.2003, 17:53

ElPelado wrote:I 've already told you: I am not perfect, I'm human, and like you may know, humans are the only animals that make tha same error twice(or maybe more than twice).

BTW: I live on(or "in"?) where all the buildings MUST have sheltters, so maybe you are not so wrong about it :)

I have a question: did someone of you participate in Star Trek?

By being a Borg it's understandable we did.

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #39by John Van Vliet » 26.06.2003, 18:11

Alein abdution ? Has any one read Carl Sagan's book The Demon-Haunted World
The description of an abduction is the same as that of being poised by a demon . in the 1300 to 1800 A.D. it was demonic poision now in the 1900 and 2000 it is aliens that are doing it

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Re: re

Post #40by Rassilon » 26.06.2003, 20:27

john Van Vliet wrote:in the 1300 to 1800 A.D. it was demonic poision now in the 1900 and 2000 it is aliens that are doing it

As it has always been...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”