Class M0IV stars

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
fungun
With us: 16 years 11 months

Class M0IV stars

Post #1by fungun » 06.04.2010, 22:03

I have been searching for over an hour, and cannot find a list that includes any M0IV class stars.
Do any exsist?

Thanks,
Tim

MKruer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: Class M0IV stars

Post #2by MKruer » 06.04.2010, 23:15

I am sure somewhere out there in the universe there is a star that arguably can be classified as a M0IV however a low mass sub giant seems to be unlikely unless it is literally in its death throws as this is about the only time in which it would exist. Most of the stars end up as either regular giants of dwarfs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertzsprun ... ll_diagram

aurora
With us: 13 years 4 months

Post #3by aurora » 05.08.2011, 15:08

As far as I remember, there are no M-class subgiants because when mid-mass stars leave the subgiant stage and go red giant they are still K-class, and low-mass stars are a) too long-lived to leave the main sequence by now and b) do not go subgiant and giant at all, instead becoming the theoretical blue dwarves.

starguy84
With us: 13 years 6 months

Post #4by starguy84 » 09.08.2011, 20:02

What the above posters said. An M0IV class star would imply a former K star in the process of leaving the main sequence; the universe is too young for any main sequence K stars to have done that yet. G stars are sufficiently short-lived, but they will turn into G or K subgiants, and K or M giants.

You WILL occasionally find M stars above the main sequence on an H-R diagram, but they're usually either binary stars, or they're young stars evolving TOWARD the main sequence, not away from it. (for example: Gliese 803 aka AU Mic, age ~12 Myr, distance 32 light years, a member of the Beta Pictoris young association). Those young stars are usually classified as dwarfs, as they're pretty close in characteristics and honestly not that far above the main sequence.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”