Geosynchronous Orbit

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 20 years

Geosynchronous Orbit

Post #1by PlutonianEmpire » 10.10.2009, 04:48

How do I determine the geosynchronous orbit for a satellite around a given planet?

I tried using astrosynthesis, but it doesn't work very well at computing that when making planets from scratch. :?
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

radtech
With us: 15 years 9 months

Re: Geosynchronous Orbit

Post #2by radtech » 10.10.2009, 06:39

PlutonianEmpire wrote:How do I determine the geosynchronous orbit for a satellite around a given planet?

I tried using astrosynthesis, but it doesn't work very well at computing that when making planets from scratch. :?

To compute a "geosynchronous" (Clarke) orbit for a given planet, one needs to know: 1) the mass of the planet, 2) the planet's period of rotation, and 3) the equatorial radius of the planet. With this data in hand, the first thing to calculate is the planet's rate of angular motion using the formula

w = 2 pi radians/length of day (in seconds)

Next, w is plugged into the equation

r = ((GM)/w^2)^(1/3)

where G is the Gravitational Constant and M is the mass of the planet in kilograms.

Finally, subtract the equatorial radius of the planet (in kilometers) from r to get the radius of the equatorial Clarke orbit.

Hope this helps,

Radtech

Guckytos
With us: 20 years 3 months

Post #3by Guckytos » 10.10.2009, 07:37

radtech wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:How do I determine the geosynchronous orbit for a satellite around a given planet?

To compute a "geosynchronous" (Clarke) orbit for a given planet, one needs to know: 1) the mass of the planet, 2) the planet's period of rotation, and 3) the equatorial radius of the planet. With this data in hand, the first thing to calculate is the planet's rate of angular motion using the formula

w = 2 pi radians/length of day (in seconds)

r = ((GM)/w^2)^(1/3)

where G is the Gravitational Constant and M is the mass of the planet in kilograms.

Finally, subtract the equatorial radius of the planet (in kilometers) from r to get the radius of the equatorial Clarke orbit.

Hope this helps,

Radtech

That's right with subtracting the equatorial radius of the planet if you want the geosynchronus height above the surface.
But to plug the correct value into Celestia you need r as you calculated it, as Celestia takes the radius for any orbiting element as distance from the center of gravity.

Regards,

Guckytos

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #4by Chuft-Captain » 10.10.2009, 08:24

radtech wrote:w = 2 pi radians/length of day (in seconds)

r = ((GM)/w^2)^(1/3)

The correct formula for the semi-major axis a (in meters) is in fact:

[tex]a=\sqrt[3]{GM\left(\frac{P}{2\pi}\right)^2}[/tex]

where P = the planet's (sidereal) rotation period in seconds.
... For the Earth this is approx. 86,164 s (23h 56m 04 s).

Again, subtract the planetary radius to get the altitude.
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Grist
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #5by Grist » 13.10.2009, 05:19

Chuft-Captain wrote:
radtech wrote:r = ((GM)/w^2)^(1/3)
The correct formula for the semi-major axis a (in meters) is in fact:

[tex]a=\sqrt[3]{GM\left(\frac{P}{2\pi}\right)^2}[/tex]
Your formula is essentially the same as radtech's, and they both give the same result.

piellepi M
With us: 21 years

Post #6by piellepi » 13.10.2009, 06:54

Hi friends!
The formulas ARE exactly the same!! 8O
Ciao

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”