CERN experiment--> Blackhole --> Doomsday???

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Andirius
With us: 16 years

CERN experiment--> Blackhole --> Doomsday???

Post #1by Andirius » 10.07.2008, 09:33

One of my friend (that once entered my province physics Olympic team) said that a certain CERN experiment that will conducted this August to explain the nature of big bang could cause a cascade of event that leads to formation of microblackhole and causing Doomsday...
knowing it is irrelevant i try to explain it from what i know about blackholes and big bang. although i had trying my best to explain that is not possible (the energy is so low, that the mass will not enough, that microblackholes are normal event in subatomic world, that the antimatter produced from this experiment can't cause a BIG BANG), he rebutted my answers and claiming the truth is out there and that scientist hasn't know majority of subatomic nature, he also pointed out some printed local and online newspaper that exaggerating about some American scientist [which scientist?? who??? no name or organization...] protesting the experiment in fear of Earth destruction...
now i just want to ask this forum that from my point of view far more educated than me... is it possible??? from what i know it is not possible... am i right or what???

SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)
With us: 16 years 1 month

Re: CERN experiment--> Blackhole --> Doomsday???

Post #2by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 10.07.2008, 10:54

Andirius,

I suggest you to read this thread:

http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12362

Paul
"Physicists know what's important, but they don't know what is true. Mathematicians know what's true, but they don't know what is important."

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #3by t00fri » 10.07.2008, 11:49

Andirius wrote:One of my friend (that once entered my province physics Olympic team) said that a certain CERN experiment that will conducted this August to explain the nature of big bang could cause a cascade of event that leads to formation of microblackhole and causing Doomsday...
knowing it is irrelevant i try to explain it from what i know about blackholes and big bang. although i had trying my best to explain that is not possible (the energy is so low, that the mass will not enough, that microblackholes are normal event in subatomic world, that the antimatter produced from this experiment can't cause a BIG BANG), he rebutted my answers and claiming the truth is out there and that scientist hasn't know majority of subatomic nature, he also pointed out some printed local and online newspaper that exaggerating about some American scientist [which scientist?? who??? no name or organization...] protesting the experiment in fear of Earth destruction...
now i just want to ask this forum that from my point of view far more educated than me... is it possible??? from what i know it is not possible... am i right or what???

...not again...

Let me quote the latest links that are distributed from CERN in this regard:

Fridger

Topic author
Andirius
With us: 16 years

Post #4by Andirius » 11.07.2008, 06:03

gee...
i dont know that this debate has been here for ages...
wew... it looks like we humans are very afraid for things we didnt understand so much...

well... thanks... i think this nice papers will shut my friends mouth (he keeps claiming, i keep attacking, now i sure i will win - man, what a bad boy i am) and cool down my other friends that has been misguided by this irrelevant issue...

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #5by Hungry4info » 13.07.2008, 00:25

Andirius wrote:(he keeps claiming, i keep attacking, now i sure i will win - man, what a bad boy i am)

Be careful, some people, like those who believe man never went to the moon, and who believe Niburu will destroy humanity in 2012, are far too distorted to bring back into normal spacetime. You may find it impossible to enlighten your friend of the truth.

I do wish you the best of luck though, and will pray for your friend.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

bdm
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #6by bdm » 13.07.2008, 02:15

Get your friend to worry about global warming instead, it will probably be a more productive use of his time.

Tyren
With us: 15 years 11 months

Post #7by Tyren » 23.07.2008, 19:46

Andirius, I suggest you look less towards the possible implications of micro-black holes, and more into the possible unifying theories that may be established from the discovery of the Higg's...Im fairly certain youve adequately argued your point of the large uncertaintly of an armageddon-esque fate, but imagine what could become of science if we are able to prove one can generate mass from energy through the spontaneous symmetry break of quarks and gluons! A Big Bang in a Bottle, if you will :D

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #8by Hungry4info » 24.07.2008, 01:19

Tyren wrote:Andirius, I suggest you look less towards the possible implications of micro-black holes, and more into the possible unifying theories that may be established from the discovery of the Higg's...Im fairly certain youve adequately argued your point of the large uncertaintly of an armageddon-esque fate, but imagine what could become of science if we are able to prove one can generate mass from energy through the spontaneous symmetry break of quarks and gluons! A Big Bang in a Bottle, if you will :D

LHC fearing person wrote:What use is understanding the theories if we're all dead?
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”