Its a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SuperEarth!

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 20 years

Its a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SuperEarth!

Post #1by PlutonianEmpire » 17.05.2008, 04:17

Imagine a rock planet twice the size of earth. What could the interior look like? What would be required for it to suport life as we know it?
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: Its a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SuperEarth!

Post #2by eburacum45 » 19.05.2008, 15:54

First we need to know what you mean by twice the 'size'. Do you mean twice the mass, or twice the radius? I think we could probably work something out for either case.

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #3by ajtribick » 19.05.2008, 18:15

Twice the radius of Earth seems rather large for a rocky planet - according to this paper, such a planet would be about 10 Earth masses, more massive still if it has an iron core. This is the kind of mass range where it is expected you end up with either runaway accretion to a gas giant, or a Uranus-type planet if the planet forms too late or in a region of the disc depleted in gas.

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #4by Don. Edwards » 19.05.2008, 22:27

Also I believe a planet with of this size would also have a very thin crust and a much more molten core and mantel. The larger the planet and mass increases the amount of radioactive elements which in hand helps generate heat in the core. A planet like this even as old as the Earth may have a very thin crust and be explosively volcanic. Now if it had enough water and a think atmosphere it would probably end us a Panthalassic world.

Now the only way around this is if the planet was made up of lighter materials. think of a Mars like world that size.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #5by eburacum45 » 20.05.2008, 07:04

I have described a 10 Earth-mass rocky planet here
http://www.orionsarm.com/worlds/Sisyphos.html
it is a Chthonian type planet, which used to have a thick gas giant atmosphere but lost it because of heating by the star and by interactions with the stellar wind.
The gravity on such a world would be 2 gees or more, depending on whether there is a substantial metal core.

---------------------
On the other hand a 2 Earth mass planet would be somewhat more hospitable. If it had a minimal or absent metal core it would have a radius of about 1.3 Earths, and a gravity of about 1.18 gees. Not too excessive; but most Earth-like planets would have at least a small metallic core, making the planet a little denser and the gravity a little higher.

Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 20 years

Post #6by PlutonianEmpire » 24.05.2008, 21:04

Yes, I meant diameter. :)

Don. Edwards wrote:Also I believe a planet with of this size would also have a very thin crust and a much more molten core and mantel. The larger the planet and mass increases the amount of radioactive elements which in hand helps generate heat in the core. A planet like this even as old as the Earth may have a very thin crust and be explosively volcanic. Now if it had enough water and a think atmosphere it would probably end us a Panthalassic world.

Now the only way around this is if the planet was made up of lighter materials. think of a Mars like world that size.

Don. Edwards
What would be the gravitational pull of that mars like world twice the radius of earth? Could it have two earthlike moons? More importantly, could it be terraformed?
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #7by ajtribick » 24.05.2008, 21:11

PlutonianEmpire wrote:Yes, I meant diameter. :)

What would be the gravitational pull of that mars like world twice the radius of earth? Could it have two earthlike moons? More importantly, could it be terraformed?
Well, Mars does have an iron core, but if we assume a coreless silicate planet twice the radius of Earth, you get a mass of about 10 Earth masses (as I mentioned above).
The acceleration due to gravity at the surface is calculated by [tex]g=\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex], which is made very simple on Google calculator, which handily has the values of G, m_earth and r_earth as built-in constants.

So to put this in Google calculator, you do a Google search for

G*10*m_earth/(2*r_earth)^2

and you get the answer.

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”