Help with Moon addon

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
SimFan01
With us: 19 years 1 month

Help with Moon addon

Post #1by SimFan01 » 02.06.2005, 23:03

Hello, I downloaded The VT moon surface map by John Vliet from Motherload. I downloaded all 4 parts to it but it seems to have only textures and is missing some files to make it work. Im assumming it works simmilar to the markII earth addon, since all the textures are packed in level folders the same way. Can someone tell me how to get it working or how to get the missing files? Celestia has changed a bit on me! I kinda lost track around 1.3.0.

Giorgio
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #2by Giorgio » 03.06.2005, 00:16

I think you should create a text file to rename something like "moon vt.ctx"
and put it in Celestia --> texture --> hires folder ( if you put the moon vt texture folders there, that is).
Text in "moon vt.ctx" should be like this:

VirtualTexture
{
ImageDirectory "put here the name of the folder with moon vt levels"
BaseSplit 0
TileSize 512
TileType "png"
}

You should check then in solarsys.ssc (or educational-solarsys.ssc if you installed extra educational activities by Frank Gregorio like I did) to see what texture map it calls for the moon.

You could choose to keep the default moon map and use the VT by J.VanVliet as an alternative map. If so, you could just add these lines to solarsys.ssc at the end of the part reserved to the moon:

AltSurface " Moon VT" "Sol/earth/Moon"
{
Texture "moon vt.ctx"
}

then you can select the alternative map in celestia right clicking on the moon.
All in all, it should be quite simple.
Anyway I've checked John VanVliet's moon map, and it has some black parts in it. I guess those are uncharted portions of the surface of the moon. If you don't like the gaps you may want to check out Mattias Malmer's 16k .dds map. If your graphic card can handle it, of course.

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by selden » 03.06.2005, 00:47

You probably should read the documentation about VTs that's available on the MotherLode.
Selden

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

re

Post #4by John Van Vliet » 04.06.2005, 08:17

i though i filled in the 3 or 4 tiny triangles,and 4 or 5 small 20 px rectangles , that were missed by cementine

and if you are refering to something else ----let me know

Return to “Add-on development”