Holiday on Risa

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
jestr
With us: 21 years

Holiday on Risa

Post #1by jestr » 13.05.2004, 00:56

Continuing my Star Trek addons I have made textures for the paradise planet Risa
I have also used the Starbase 99 model from http://www.startrekaustralia.com
as the Starbase 12 which is located somewhere in the Risa system.Ive put it orbiting Risa (just cos it looked nice)
The zip file also includes a shuttle9 model orbiting the Starbase
You can get it from here
http://www.ibiblio.org/celestia/creators/jestr/Risa.zip
with hires PNG textures available here
http://www.ibiblio.org/celestia/creators/jestr/RisahiresPNG.zip
Yoy must download the medres version first though as hires zip only contains textures.
Hope you like them,any problems Email me,Jestr
Last edited by jestr on 28.06.2004, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #2by Bob Hegwood » 13.05.2004, 04:57

Mr. Jestr...

All I can say is that "You have some Talent, son..." :lol:

Absolutely beautiful images. Thanks for the post.

Take care, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

Dora
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #3by Dora » 13.05.2004, 07:31

Hi Jestr,

thanks for those beautiful Star Trek models (Risa, Starbase 12, Shuttle). Unfortunately both the download links of DS9 and the Klingon fighter seem to be dead. Is there a chance to get them somewhere else?

Ciao
Dora

Topic author
jestr

Post #4by jestr » 13.05.2004, 10:23

Thanks for the encouraging words Bob and Dora,I have just tried the links for DS9 and Klingon and they both worked for me.They are both quite large files though,so I cant put them anywhere else,maybe the site is overloaded,try again later perhaps.Let me know though if you keep having problems,Jestr

Cormoran
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #5by Cormoran » 13.05.2004, 20:24

Jestr,

Lost for words here. Wonderful work!!!!!!

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

Dora

Post #6by Dora » 14.05.2004, 06:28

Hi Cormoran,

were you able to download Deepspace9 and the Klingon fighter? If so, were you please be so kind to send them via email to dd68@gmx.net?

Thank you so much in advance!
Ciao
Dora

piellepi M

Post #7by piellepi » 14.05.2004, 08:27

Hi Jestr!
Thanks a lot for your wonderful works!!!

It's so difficult to follow you, wandering around the 'net from one site to the other! :lol: In my Internet Explorer preferences I have half dozen of links to "jestr" sites! 8O

I was amazed 8O 8O by the Starbase 12 add-on, but my Celestia becomes slooooooooooow :oops: even if I have an Athlon 2.7GHz and 1MB of RAM, a ATI 9600 (256 MByte onboard) graphic card!

Thanks again

Pierluigi

piellepi M

Post #8by piellepi » 14.05.2004, 08:47

Added later...

Hi again Jestr!

I downloaded also "Alien" add-on and it works very well, apart from the first ringed planet (I can't remember its name, now I am at work 8) ).
While the planet's texture is correct (it is a jpg if I remember well and in my Explorer it is correctly shown) but the planet renders as a totally black sphere surrounded by a pink ring system 8O .
2048 textures are ok for my graphic card so I can't explain what happens...
I tried to put this planet nearer to the star but with no result :oops:
At home I will also try to put the texture onto planets like mercury to see what happens...

BTW is the ring color correct? The pink colour is ugly, for me... :wink:

bye
Pierluigi

Post #9by Guest » 14.05.2004, 09:32

Hi Dora,the Deep space 9 model is 10Mb zipped up and the Klingon one something like 18Mb so they are a bit big to Email.Do you have winRar I can make them smaller with this and also split into volumes?Email me jestr@ntlworld.com to let me know?
Piellepi,have you tried a different ring texture with the gas giant,other people have reported difficulties with the rings as they are quite detailed,hope this helps Jestr

mmarable
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #10by mmarable » 14.05.2004, 11:39

Jestr,

You really should include the credits for the models you're using in your addons. Cyrille "Tachy" Lefevre built the model, and I know he spent quite some time on it. The shuttle looks like Steffan Norling's mesh as well.

It may just be an oversight on your part, but just as if you were going to use textures that others made here, you need to credit the original creators of the meshes you're using.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse, but did you get permission form the meshe creators to redistribute them? That has been a real issue with both of them in the past. They are both very friendly guys who most likely wouldn't have an issue with you using thier work, just as long as they know about it in advance. Otherwise (and especially since there are no credits included in your zip file) it appears like you've ripped off thier work and are passing it off as your own.

Just a heads up for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
startrekaustralia.com
presents the

STARBASE 99
Mesh: Cyrille 'Tachy' Lefevre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER:
This mesh was downloaded from startrekaustralia.com
If this archive was downloaded from another source, please contact the WEBMASTER immediately!
If you wish to use this Mesh, you must adhere to the CONDITIONS OF USE
Failure to abide by these conditions may result in formal proceedings against you.

Topic author
jestr

Post #11by jestr » 14.05.2004, 11:50

Sorry I included the address of the site from where I got the original models and have indicated this both on my site and on the forum.Theres no way I want to pass them off as my own work though often I do a lot of work to get them right in Celestia,often the models are not so good up close as they are made for use in animations/short movies where you dont get to see them up real close like you can in Celestia,you are right though I should have contacted the authors about using them and will correct this immediately,all the best Jestr
ps does anyone know who made the Borg Cube or where I downloaded
it from,the model is just a cube but it has a very nice texture?
Last edited by jestr on 14.05.2004, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Dora

Post #12by Dora » 14.05.2004, 12:07

Hi Jestr,

thanks for your kind support! :) Now DS9 is working and it looks just awesome! :)

Ciao
Dora

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #13by Jeam Tag » 14.05.2004, 13:02

jestr wrote:Sorry I included the address of the site from where I got the original models and have indicated this both on my site and on the forum.Theres no way I want to pass them off as my own work though often I do a lot of work to get them right in Celestia,often the models are not so good up close as they are made for use in animations/short movies where you dont get to see them up real close like you can in Celestia,you are right though I should have contacted the authors about using them and will correct this immediately,all the best Jestr
Just some reflexions:
1.1 Obviously, the work of the original Creators must be credited, BUT often, even on the various sites, one finds them under various versions, it's not easy to go up with the source.
1.2 As the majority of beautiful 3d creations are not transposable in Celestia (especially those which employ very many textures, or are in an incompatible format) there is also a work to translate them for Celestia. THUS:
2.1 YES: it's the least of the things to announce the model creator, example: a credit limit on the site of distribution (BCelestia proposes a manner, but like Jestr does it by announcing original site of distribution, model by model) AND in the packs in remote loading, in the 'Readme'
2.2 The problem is the various interventions on a model. It would be well we have there a charter, a SIMPLE common system to credit addons in Celestia.. I haven't perfect solution, but in the revisions that i try to do with my catalog - and notes that I add in my personal safeguards for each addon- I've the following principle, when it's an adaptation of existing models elsewhere:
- the name of the person who adapts for Celestia (modifies, adds different textures so that that functions, other contributors -textures for example)
- the name (and link if possible) of the person who created the original model... (by defect, the reference to the site where the model was found, like what made Jestr).
Simple, yes?
(this message was translated partly by Babelfish, because I did not know well how to write that directly in English, sorry, Jeam)
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

bcelestia
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #14by bcelestia » 14.05.2004, 13:04

Looking Very Slick Jestr...

How do you convert Lightwave models?

I've recently started using the following method to get the
best conversion with minimum errors to be fixed. Also in a lot
of cases the original Texture mapping is retained in the 3DS file.

Load Lightwave lws file in Lightwave.
Export to .wrl file with objects embedded
Import .wrl file into 3DStudio 6
Delete lights & Cameras
Export .wrl file from 3DStudio
Load .WRL File into Accutrans
Save as 3DS File.

Then Resize all Textures using Paint Shop Pro And convert to Jpgs
Use a Binary File Editor to search & Replace all texture references
in the 3DS File like .tga or .iff with .jpg
B. Lambe

Topic author
jestr

Post #15by jestr » 14.05.2004, 21:48

Hi Brendan,glad you like it,I use Deep exploration usually to convert Lightwave models to Max,then to convert to Celestia is usually a matter of hacking the mesh into smaller pieces so that lots of different textures can be applied .Then there are usually lots of normals need flipping and holes filled in vertices welded,some of the models are pretty awful up close,but its different for each model really some are better than others.Love your Babylon 5 stuff,Jestr

Jeam Tag M

Post #16by Jeam Tag » 15.05.2004, 11:37

Anonymous wrote:Hi Dora,the Deep space 9 model is 10Mb zipped up and the Klingon one something like 18Mb so they are a bit big to Email.Do you have winRar I can make them smaller with this and also split into volumes?Email me jestr@ntlworld.com to let me know?
Hi Jestr, if it is not a too long stuff for you, I'm interessed by the Klingon one, i can't dowload it (seems for now that lot of linked Add-Ons you have hosted on caravanmail do not work: these directly hosted on Lycos have no problem)
Many thanks, Jeam (I want to update a ST page with your great work)
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Jeam Tag M

Post #17by Jeam Tag » 15.05.2004, 19:20

Jeam Tag wrote:Hi Jestr, if it is not a too long stuff for you, I'm interessed by the Klingon one, i can't dowload it Many thanks, Jeam
Added later: Hello, Jestr, just a question: is the Klingon Add-On (18Mo) the same (a bit reduced, without HiRes I suppose) that the 'Klingon Universe' downloadable (50Mo) on the eMule Psychotik site? In that case, don't take attention of my demand: i've just keep this add-on, and add it soon in my cat'. If 'Klingon' is an update, 'course, i'm always interressed.
Note for Dora: if you can use eMule, I recommand You the Psychotik dowload site: there are lot of Great Beautiful add-on, and especially BIG Jestr's universes.Jeam

PS in french: Yeppee, j'ai r?ussi ? faire marcher la Mule :lol:
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Topic author
jestr

Post #18by jestr » 16.05.2004, 10:35

Hi Jeam,they are the same yes,but the 50Mb one has hires PNG textures for the planets thats the only difference,Jestr

Jeam Tag M

Post #19by Jeam Tag » 16.05.2004, 11:21

jestr wrote:Hi Jeam,they are the same yes,but the 50Mb one has hires PNG textures for the planets thats the only difference,Jestr
Right, Thanks Jestr: it works perfectly, I recommand it to Celestians, your planetary textures are superb! Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Return to “Add-on development”