ESA Rosetta xyz trajectory available

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

ESA Rosetta xyz trajectory available

Post #1by JackHiggins » 20.02.2004, 02:22

Hey all

A couple of days ago, I was emailed by a spacecraft analyst from ESA, working on the Mars Express, Venus Express & Rosetta missions. As most of you will know, ESA have recently taken an interest in Celestia, and have used it to display orbital info on Mars Express, on the big screen at ESOC in Darmstadt, Germany. (That's like ESA's version of NASA's mission control center in Houston).
Also, the Rosetta comet probe is due to launch next Thursday from Kourou in Frech Guiana, on board an Ariane 5 rocket. It's target is comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, which it won't reach until May 2014, after three Earth flybys, and one of Mars. (So you have a fair bit of time to work on your pronounciation of the comet's name! :wink: )
Rosetta Firsts:
  • First landing on a comet (Rosetta carries a small lander called Philae)
  • First spacecraft to orbit a comet
  • First use of Mars in a gravity assist trajectory (This is an EMEEGA trajectory!)
  • Furthest use of solar panels from the Sun (5.33AU), in 2011-12, during...
  • The longest hibernation time of a fully functioning spacecraft, which hasn't yet reached it's primary target (2.5 years)

Apparently people involved in the missions, but who are outside the NAV team, didn't have much access to the navigation software, and were looking for some free program which could help them see what exactly their craft was doing. Celestia was the solution to the problem! ESA may be interested in creating a website just for Celestia, and putting trajectories and models of various craft up for download on there. Since the website isn't available yet however, i've been asked to put a couple of things on my website for Celestia users to download.

The first of these is an xyz trajectory for the Rosetta probe! Unfortunately there's no model available at the moment, but hopefully some issues will be cleared up soon, and there will be a model to go along with this too.

You can download this from the bottom of the Solar/Planetary spacecraft page, on my website: :arrow: http://homepage.eircom.net/~jackcelestia/

Have a look at a couple of screenshots first...
The full trajectory- 3 Gravity assists from Earth (2005, 2007 and 2009) and one from Mars (2005) are required to put it on the correct course for comet 67P.

Launch from Earth

Mars Gravity Assist

Closing in on Churyumov-Gerasimenko, in ten years time.

Enjoy!! :D

(And yes, there is more of the same coming soon)
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 1 month

Re: ESA Rosetta xyz trajectory available

Post #2by TERRIER » 20.02.2004, 09:54

JackHiggins wrote:Apparently people involved in the missions, but who are outside the NAV team, didn't have much access to the navigation software, and were looking for some free program which could help them see what exactly their craft was doing. Celestia was the solution to the problem! ESA may be interested in creating a website just for Celestia, and putting trajectories and models of various craft up for download on there. Since the website isn't available yet however, i've been asked to put a couple of things on my website for Celestia users to download.

Jack, this sounds good. :D

In the meantime I'm gonna turn myself into the Rosetta probe over the weekend, and ride along on this trajectory. Looks like I'll get pretty close to Mars as well as the comet.

regards
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

ElPelado
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #3by ElPelado » 20.02.2004, 11:34

A couple of questions:
1) What is the Venus Express? Will it be launched or it was?
2) What is the EMEEGA???
E=Earth fly-by
M=Mars fly-by
E=Earth fly-by
E=Earth fly-by
G=????????
A=????????
---------X---------
EL XENTENARIO
1905-2005

My page:
http://www.urielpelado.com.ar
My Gallery:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/gallery/view_al ... y-Universe

piellepi M
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #4by piellepi » 20.02.2004, 13:33

Hi El Pelado!
EMEEGA 8O means
E=Earth
M=Mars
E=Earth
E=Earth
G=Gravity
A=Assist

Bye Bye :D
Pierluigi

Christophe
Developer
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #5by Christophe » 20.02.2004, 17:30

Hi Jack,

This new add-on is great, but it'd be even better if you provided it in the new format:

Code: Select all

rosetta/
rosetta/data
rosetta/data/Rosetta.xyz
rosetta/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.ssc
rosetta/Wirtanen.ssc
rosetta/Rosetta-xyz.ssc

It makes installation and management of installed add-ons a lot easier.
Christophe

Topic author
JackHiggins

Post #6by JackHiggins » 20.02.2004, 23:08

ElPelado wrote:1) What is the Venus Express? Will it be launched or it was?
It's going to be launched in November 2005. ESA wanted a way to re-use the design of Mars Express, and Venus Express was the best proposal they recieved. See the website at http://sci.esa.int/venusexpress/ for details.

ElPelado wrote:2) What is the EMEEGA???
Like Pierluigi said! Other examples- Galileo had a VEEGA trajectory, and Cassini had a VVEJGA one. Maybe cassini isn't such a good example... :wink:

Christophe wrote:This new add-on is great, but it'd be even better if you provided it in the new format:

Good idea- i'll do this now!
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

bh

Post #7by bh » 22.02.2004, 00:58

Jack...great work as usual many thanks for these.

Regards...bh.

Topic author
JackHiggins

Post #8by JackHiggins » 22.02.2004, 19:49

I wrote:So you have a fair bit of time to work on your pronounciation of the comet's name! :wink:

Your work just got a LOT easier... :D

http://homepage.eircom.net/~jackcelesti ... as_wav.zip - 43K zipped .WAV sound file.

(And no, that's not my voice... File thanks to ESA, yet again)
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

Jeam Tag M

Post #9by Jeam Tag » 22.02.2004, 21:44

JackHiggins wrote:
I wrote:So you have a fair bit of time to work on your pronounciation of the comet's name! :wink:

Don't know if this link works:
http://193.252.114.90/dossiers/rosetta/videos/rosetta_concours_fr/video.wmx...There's in this video a pronounciation of this (ugly :wink: name in this french explanation of the mission.
See the main infos here:http://193.252.114.90/dossiers/rosetta/
(A CNES page about Rosetta)(CNES:Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales, french National Center of Space Studies, yes?)
Note: In my proper copy of Jack's folder I added some references:
http://smsc.cnes.fr/ROSETTA/Fr/, http://www.esa.int/export/esaMI/Rosetta/index.htmlandhttp://jmm45.free.fr/sondes/rosetta/rosetta.htmand a summary (Readme) in french of this mission... If someone is interrested, i'll perfect it after the Launch and place it somewhere on my pages...
Jeam, waiting for a pretty model of these probe to supplement this addon :roll: :wink: 8) :lol: :D :P :idea: :oops:
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

TERRIER

Post #10by TERRIER » 22.02.2004, 22:38

JackHiggins wrote:(And no, that's not my voice... File thanks to ESA, yet again)

I dunno about that, maybe you really live in the Corkcasus mountain region.

Seriously though Jack, I seem to get very close to the Earth, on the 11th November 2009. I hope I've been viewing this xyz orbit correctly ?

Jeam
Yep, the link works for me, but I think I'll stick to the way Jack pronounces the comets name. :wink:

regards
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:

Jeam Tag M

Post #11by Jeam Tag » 23.02.2004, 02:42

Let us await launching...
Moreover, the lander name is finally logical, yes?
The hieroglyphes of PHILAE temple have completed the famous translation of the 'Pierre de Rosette' by Champollion...
The sales leaflet for the undercarriage is the same one: after orbital studies of comet by Rosetta, Phila? will have to confirm 'in-vivo' the nature of this object :? ...
I hope that the mission will fly away under best conditions... and to see the 2014 Rendezvous! Jeam, optimist...
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Topic author
JackHiggins

Post #12by JackHiggins » 24.02.2004, 18:42

Jeam Tag wrote:Jeam, waiting for a pretty model of these probe to supplement this addon

ESA do have models, but as far as i know they're still trying to get permission to release them from the people who made them originally. Since Rosetta is launching on Thursday, I don't expect to get any more contact from them about celestia until next week- to say they'll be "busy" would be a severe understatement!

TERRIER wrote:I dunno about that, maybe you really live in the Corkcasus mountain region.
:lol: :D

TERRIER wrote:Seriously though Jack, I seem to get very close to the Earth, on the 11th November 2009. I hope I've been viewing this xyz orbit correctly ?
Yeah, I see this too- and I think it gets too close to mars as well. The gravity assist to the trajectory is pretty small, compared to how close it gets to Mars, even taking the lower gravity into account.

I'd say its just because the xyz is non-optimised sampling- it's just one point every x hours, not more around flybys. I might be able to get the original data files to work from (I did for MEX, which I will try to have online soon), but i'll have to see...

TERRIER wrote:Yep, the link works for me, but I think I'll stick to the way Jack pronounces the comets name. :wink:
:lol:

Jeam Tag wrote:Moreover, the lander name is finally logical, yes?
The sales leaflet for the undercarriage is the same one: after orbital studies of comet by Rosetta, Phila? will have to confirm 'in-vivo' the nature of this object :? ...

Yes, the name was suggested by a 16yr old girl from Milan, Italy, as I recall... She won a trip to see the launch! I want that prize!!!

I must say Jeam, while your english is very good, it comes out quite funny at times! :D

I think you mean..
"The (information sheet/ data sheet/mission summary) for the (payload/lander) is the same one: after orbital studies of the comet by Rosetta, Phila? will have to confirm '(in-situ/in place)' the nature of this object"
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

Jeam Tag M

Post #13by Jeam Tag » 24.02.2004, 19:21

JackHiggins wrote:I must say Jeam, while your english is very good, it comes out quite funny at times! :D
I think you mean..
"The (information sheet/ data sheet/mission summary) for the (payload/lander) is the same one: after orbital studies of the comet by Rosetta, Phila? will have to confirm '(in-situ/in place)' the nature of this object"
Hi, Jack
Yes :lol: Sometimes, i don't know how to correct exactly the 'Babelfish' assist :twisted: So, hope this Rosetta (=Pierre de Rosette/Champollion) mission will be a better translator! (I talk about the subtitle(?) of the programm: "D?chiffrer la Pierre de Rosette de l'Univers" ) :wink: Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Jeam Tag M

Post #14by Jeam Tag » 02.03.2004, 09:45

Rosetta is on the way to Chiur....churim....to the comet! :lol:
Launch 8:17UT
Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Jeam Tag M

Post #15by Jeam Tag » 02.03.2004, 09:53

Rosetta 'En Route' to Chyur....churym....to the Comet!
Launch 8:17CET , separated from upper stage two hours later..
Jeam :lol:
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Topic author
JackHiggins

Post #16by JackHiggins » 02.03.2004, 17:35

Go ESA! Go ESA!

It's hard to believe that i'll be 27 before it finally gets to Ch- Cu- the comet! (I can see this becoming a running joke... :D ) Anyway, I expect to have an updated xyz trajectory from ESA in a couple of days hopefully.
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

Jeam Tag M

Post #17by Jeam Tag » 02.03.2004, 21:01

JackHiggins wrote:Anyway, I expect to have an updated xyz trajectory from ESA in a couple of days hopefully.

Great, thanks, Jack. What about the model? :wink: And, mayby, the Phila? one for landing on Chu- Chi- The Comet? 8) Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Topic author
JackHiggins

Post #18by JackHiggins » 02.03.2004, 21:31

Jeam Tag wrote:Great, thanks, Jack. What about the model?
Still waiting! :)

And, mayby, the Phila? one for landing on Chu- Chi- The Comet?

I expect that'll be included with the full model, or if not I can rip it off the side & put it in a seperate file.
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

TERRIER

Post #19by TERRIER » 03.03.2004, 01:31

JackHiggins wrote:Go ESA! Go ESA!

It's hard to believe that i'll be 27 before it finally gets to Ch- Cu- the comet! (I can see this becoming a running joke... :D ) Anyway, I expect to have an updated xyz trajectory from ESA in a couple of days hopefully.

Blimey, only 27.....a mere whippersnapper :lol:

What's that comets name again....Cuch-i-cu........Geronimo !? :wink:

Cheers for getting on with a new xyz, Jack.

Topic author
JackHiggins

Post #20by JackHiggins » 03.03.2004, 15:49

:lol:
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

Return to “Add-on development”