Is igniting Jupiter possible ?

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Chris CII

Is igniting Jupiter possible ?

Post #1by Chris CII » 04.02.2004, 11:45

I'ld like to see what could happen in the solar system if (as per 2010 the movie) Jupiter was ignited to become a second sun. Is there an add-on or another way to do this easily, and if so where ?
What I'd specifically like is to have Jupiter as a very visible object withe perhaps flare and even better to see the effects on the planets so where Jupiter is visible, the planet would have a daytime map instead of the night map.

Thanks in advance,
Chris CII

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #2by selden » 04.02.2004, 15:17

Chris CII,

You can specify "Emissive true" in the definition of a body within an SSC file, but currently it will only affect the appearance of that body itself.

Unfortunately, Celestia does not yet have the ability to illuminate bodies by more than one light source, the centrral star of a planetary system.

Sorry.
Selden

Topic author
Chris CII

Thanks and sorry

Post #3by Chris CII » 04.02.2004, 19:14

Thank you for your clear answer, and sorry for the breach of etiquette, I only read the information on this forum after posting my question.

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #4by Don. Edwards » 05.02.2004, 06:39

Now in reality we would have to make Jupiter a minimum of ten times it present mass to achieve this goal. I don't know about you but I just don't see that much matter floating around our solar system. Of course in the movie 2010 it was done by "God Like Aliens" that controled the monolyth that colud do anything.
BTW,
I was working on this add-on almost 2 years ago. But at that time Celestia was very limited to how you could create your own stars. This has improved but there is still the problem of having the ignited Jupiter or "Lucifer" in the book 2010 show lighting effects on its moons and have lighting effects from the Sun as well. This would of course mean that the lighting effects would have to be present on all the planets in the system as well to be realistic. So until this multiple light source issue can be fixed I put the whole add-on including the changed moons on hold. When Celestia can generate multiple light source effects the add-on can and will be ready to go.

Rass mensioned to me that he was trying work this issue out so I could achive this goal. We will have to wait and see.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

StarLion

why not...

Post #5by StarLion » 23.02.2004, 17:22

Why not just make a niteside mape thats the same as the daytime map?
Then both sides of the planetes or moons would be lit :D
But that would mean a specal nitemap for every planate and moon :?

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #6by selden » 23.02.2004, 17:32

StarLion,

A separate surface texture map isn't needed if you just want to make the whole planet glow.

You can do it by using the SSC code

Code: Select all

Emissive true
Selden

Star Lion
With us: 20 years 10 months

I ment

Post #7by Star Lion » 23.02.2004, 17:45

Sorry, I ment that this would make the moons orbiting Lucifer be lit on both sides at the same time.
Come visit my:
Celestia Add-on website at:
http://www.starlionfiles.50megs.com
Reconstruction of Bruckners Celestia Page at:
http://www.bruckner.50megs.com
Celestia Mirror at:
http://www.celestiamirror.50megs.com

Return to “Add-on development”