wormhole addon

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
athor

wormhole addon

Post #1by athor » 16.10.2003, 16:35

there is any wormhole add-on ?? I think great idea 8O

Post #2by Guest » 28.11.2003, 12:10

There are several different types of 'possible' wormhole; the one usually seen in films and TVprogrammes ssems to be a flat disk, often with a rotating 'whirlpool' around it;
this is 2-d connection between two 3-d volumes, something like a door.

A closer approximation to the way these things are imagined is a spherical interface between two volumes;
just as a black hole has a spheroidal event horizon, wormholes could be seen as spheres or sphereoids; add in some exotic matter or negative energy superstrings to keep them open and you have something like this, a cosmic bubble;
http://www.orionsarm.com/tech/wormhole_ ... ysics.html

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #3by eburacum45 » 28.11.2003, 12:13

I must remember to log in I must remember to log in

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #4by selden » 28.11.2003, 14:29

Of course, one age's "entirely impractical" is another's "Yeah, so?" :)
Selden

maxim

Post #5by maxim » 02.12.2003, 22:15

When I read this topic, I thought it'll lead to an incredible cool new wormhole addon. Sight :(

Paul
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #6by Paul » 03.12.2003, 03:27

maxim wrote:When I read this topic, I thought it'll lead to an incredible cool new wormhole addon. Sight :(

Yeah, me too. I hate it when people are too lazy to make their subject title sound like a question instead of an announcement. Or maybe they intentionally trick more people into reading the post...

Cheers,
Paul

ziggy
With us: 21 years 3 months

Could a wormhole be made like this?

Post #7by ziggy » 08.12.2003, 23:59

Hi all,
Could a wormhole be represented in Celestia with a pair of modified blackholes?
If you took the blackhole model, added a tube in the middle and an url to another blackhole at another point in Celestian space, is it possible? Could the url be automatically activated when the traveller reached a certain point? Even if you had to click to go it would still be fun. I was thinking the bookmark or info tabs already give instant travel so would it be workable to use them this way? I'd like to do even a rough try out, if anyone could guide how, I've got the blackhole already, a pipe shouldnt take long in anim8tor, lets go !

eburacum45

Post #8by eburacum45 » 11.12.2003, 11:28

You don't need a tube, if you are modelling a wormhole as described by Visser or by the Orion's Arm group; the holes connect space directly with no tube.
All you would need to do is plunge into the 'black hole' object and instantaneously exit at the bookmarked location.

High Dark Templar
With us: 22 years 1 month

....It seems that my black hole add-on could be improved

Post #9by High Dark Templar » 12.12.2003, 00:12

I am the creator of the black-hole add-on and I am very interested in teh possibility to create worm-holes, I will think in the next days how can be this implemented with the actual Celestia code, if anybody has ideas please talk directly to me in msn.

gradius_fanatic
With us: 18 years 7 months

i like the sounds of this

Post #10by gradius_fanatic » 12.01.2006, 03:21

eburacum45 has a great idea there....about plunging through the black hole, and popping out another one some where else. Yeah, and in between, there be like a 3 second interlude of amazing spiraling colors or something like that.

ziggy

Post #11by ziggy » 10.02.2006, 21:26

Hello everyone,
Well, I thought that swirly colours and the like could be in the walls of my wormhole tube, even just to make for a more interesting journey, sadly this notion seems to have been dismissed because apparently one just arrives instantly at the other side of a wormhole.I did actually write a script for Celestia,in which a journey was made using two blackholes positioned in different parts of the galaxy, linked with a sort of Time Tunnel whirling disc; the novelty soon wore off after I got it to creak into action.
In the film "Contact" the wormhole was represented as a kind of intergalactic metro system, with plenty of tubing, I thought it looked great. Not having been down one I wouldn't know, although I thought I went down one once. I entered suddenly with somthing akin to a sonic boom, and lurched wildly along, there were side turnings here and there, with things like portholes at the ends of them, these had views of different times and places. I eventually arrived at a portal which grabbed my attention as it had a border consisting of a splintered wardrobe door, which framed my mates face anxiously peering down, asking if I was alright. The moral here kids, is just say "no".

eburacum45

Post #12by eburacum45 » 12.02.2006, 14:39

Our physics guru at OA has recently described a trip through a wormhole in a little more detail, Apparently it takes a lot more negative energy (or ANEC-violating energy, as he puts it ) to acheive an instantaneous transit; a more realistic hole would involve quite a long trip.
However the experience would be very strange to someone passing through the hole.
It appears that the sides of the hole would appear to close in until you were seemingly in a confined spherical space called the throat, which is the smallest part of the hole. Light rays from outside would be bent into fantastic rainbow-like distortions. There are supposed to be strong tidal effects as well. After passing the throat the sides of the hole expand again until you are climbing out of the hole on the other side.

gradius_fanatic
With us: 18 years 7 months

wow

Post #13by gradius_fanatic » 12.02.2006, 17:44

Dang! I didn't know that the thought I had was so realistic!

ziggy

Post #14by ziggy » 13.02.2006, 01:29

Wow!
In a spherical throat and looking at rainbows, sounds pretty wild to me, so long as you can handle the tidal forces. How can you make that? One of the difficulties for me was to do with the way movement is done. I havent really been keeping up as I used to, but if gifs for example are not supported then movement has to be by means of spinning discs, dummy invisable objects and the like. hence no rocket flames or winking lights on spacecraft, no movable flaps or doors, like orbits only. So could a wormhole be done differently from how I tried(ie by linking 2 blackholes with a swirly coloured disc). I like to see that.

Return to “Add-on development”