New Viking and MER rover models

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
alan_federman
With us: 21 years 8 months

New Viking and MER rover models

Post #1by alan_federman » 15.10.2003, 16:58

IF any of you model wizards have a chance, perhaps you can help me polish these models in

http://exp.arc.nasa.gov/downloads/celestia/models/

v2.3ds
MER.3ds

These ara almost finished models, but need some node and texture work.
THe VIking model has a bad radio dish and no decals.

The MER model displays O.K> in 3d studio, but is missing some parts when placed in Celestia

approriate ssc files are in my web /extras directory.
Alan Federman

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by bh » 16.10.2003, 01:46

Hello Alan...I thought I'd have a go at your viking lander model...very good it is too! I've fixed the dish but I can't get the model to subdivide into groups so I can add various textures...any help here...Jack...TERRIER...Jens? I'm having a similar problem with something else! (It's a secret!). Oh well...for now anyway!

Regards...bh.

Topic author
alan_federman

Thanks bh

Post #3by alan_federman » 16.10.2003, 14:47

Would another format help? I have a dxf. Also if you can but up a fixed dish that would be great. You can mail it to me. Thanks A fellow names Firestein(?) gave that to us. He has a tool that converts pictures into models. He did the Viking as a demo.
Alan Federman

Dr Love
With us: 20 years 11 months

MER 3DS model

Post #4by Dr Love » 16.10.2003, 15:51

Hello Alan

I've sent you by mail a corrected version of your 3DS MER Rover model (problems with the legs orientations) There is still 3 JPG textures missing but I think it won't be a problem to recreate them (a NASA logo, a body shape and... don't remember the last one). I'll send you this when it will be Ok. Your Vicking model is really beautiful : a big gap in Celestia history of space exploration is filled with this lander !!!

PS : I'm working on 3DS models with Anim8or but I'm not still as good with it as I would like.
In Space, No One Can Hear You . ALIEN

Topic author
alan_federman

New models available

Post #5by alan_federman » 22.10.2003, 22:16

They still need some work, but the v2.3ds and mer-correct.3ds models are now up on the website (see previous post) Thanks to Dr. Love and all you others for helping out. Now if we can put the corrected model together with a superior alternative Mars texture .............
Alan Federman

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 6 months

Re: New models available

Post #6by Jeam Tag » 25.10.2003, 13:06

alan_federman wrote:They still need some work, but the v2.3ds and mer-correct.3ds models are now up on the website (see previous post)

Hum, sorry:
1/can't find the textures required for MER (W_TOP.JPG; NASA_LOG.JPG;BODY_JPG): there is the 3ds.file only, but no thoses .jpg files, in any other directories?
2/what about Viking? Is it textured, or not? (maybe have i download the wrong one...)
3/models appear *inside* Mars? Is it a mystake of my install, or someone else see this strange effect?
Jeam (Hope to see these very nice models work fine, thanks Alan!)
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

bh

Post #7by bh » 25.10.2003, 16:14

Hello Jeam...I had a go at the Viking model...it is nice, but I couldn't subdivide the mesh into smaller groups to apply colours and textures (does that make any sense?). I haven't tried the other one yet.

Regards...bh.

Jeam Tag M

Post #8by Jeam Tag » 26.10.2003, 13:32

bh wrote:Hello Jeam...I had a go at the Viking model...it is nice, but I couldn't subdivide the mesh into smaller groups to apply colours and textures (does that make any sense?).

Yes, bh. 'Ungroup' doesn't work in Anim8tor. This is not the first model i see like that.
The second one (The Rover) can be ungrouped.
But if the textures are somewhere, it must be nice to find those ones.
Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Dr Love
With us: 20 years 11 months

MER final version : here it is !!!

Post #9by Dr Love » 27.10.2003, 10:39

Hello Celestia fans

Here is the final version of MER (my first model under Anim8or !!!).
This work is based on an original (but very buggy) model from Alan Federman and some pictures found on the net. I'm sure there is still errors, but for a first model, I'm quite proud of the result and without precise documentation It's difficult to design a precise model.
I've just finish this model yesterday (with the help of a bad weather, yes there is sometimes rain in the French Riviera !!!). Sorry there is no pictures here but I will learn how to do it for later.

I've made a lot of corrections and improvments from the original model :

- The body has been resized (the original was too much large)
- now there is 6 wheels and the inside part of the wheels is correct
- the legs are in one part now and not in different pieces
- the solar panels are in correct position
- details added to the 'head' and the front arm
- TEXTURES for the NASA logo and the body of the rover
- Solar cells on the solar panels...

The SSC file need still some work. It is just here to place the Rover on Mars surface. I don't have precise information on the landing site so if someone want to write a better SSC it will be great.

I will send the ZIP file which contains everything today to Alan Federman and perhaps others fans like JackHiggins and to THE Creator : Chris. If someone else want it to put on the Web just send me an e-mail.

PS : sorry for the lack of pictures. I must learn how to do it. If anyone know, you can put some of the pictures in the ZIP file in the forum. Thanks

Have fun with this model !!! :D

I will realize some other model (satellite and an astronaut for a first man in Celestia space) after my holidays. I'm leaving in few days and will be back on November 12.

Dr Love
In Space, No One Can Hear You . ALIEN

Jeam Tag M

Re: MER final version : here it is !!!

Post #10by Jeam Tag » 27.10.2003, 13:52

Dr Love wrote:Hello Celestia fans
...(with the help of a bad weather, yes there is sometimes rain in the French Riviera !!!)

Bonne M?re! Je n'en crois rien :lol:
[Suite en Private Message, tout ? l'heure, surveille ta boite sur le forum]
So, good news... Can't wait to see!
Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Jeam Tag M

Re: MER final version : here it is !!!

Post #11by Jeam Tag » 27.10.2003, 18:59

Dr Love wrote:Hello Celestia fans
PS : sorry for the lack of pictures. If anyone know, you can put some of the pictures in the forum. Thanks

Here are some picts from Dr Love himself:

Nice :lol:
Thanks Alan and Dr for this work. Hope adding soon a link for it in my catalogue :wink:
Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

cant open file

Post #12by Guest » 28.10.2003, 05:35

hi guys i downloaded the rover model file but i cant open it. im using 3ds max 5. Also whats strange, i cant seem to figure out how to make model files only scenes. What gives? Can anybody help out there?

chrisr
With us: 21 years 1 month

HELP!!

Post #13by chrisr » 29.10.2003, 00:35

I just asked the question above and i would really like a hand in this problem. I dont understand
Just do what makes you happy provided you do not infringe on another's happiness for there is no point in living if you do not have happiness.
[tex]Happiness = \[\int_a^b \int_c^d \int_e^f \int_g^h U(x,y,z,t)\,dx dy dz dt\] = 42[/tex]
If only we knew U!

Post #14by Guest » 31.10.2003, 00:43

Hi Dr.Love
I will realize some other model (satellite and an astronaut for a first man in Celestia space) .

He will be second in Celestia space, there is someone hanging on to the the arm in a Shuttle model, Columbia I think, but he looks like he's made out of lego, so a more detailed one would be most welcome. :lol:
regards
James

bh

Post #15by bh » 31.10.2003, 00:50

I think this was one of my early shuttle models...I do have a detailed astronaut...I need to put him up there!

I need to get a model of the mmu to put him in. I will post some screenshots and see if we can make this feasable.

Regards...bh.

bh

Post #16by bh » 31.10.2003, 01:23

Here he/she is... a lot of work needs doing here.

I will need a lot of help with this one...if we want it!

Regards...bh.

billybob884
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #17by billybob884 » 31.10.2003, 02:03

If you look closely, you can see that his left eye is drifting off... This man has lazy eye! (coincidently in the same eye as me, although it is fixed now.)
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

Return to “Add-on development”