Galaxy map Astronomicon

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Unomomento
With us: 1 year

Galaxy map Astronomicon

Post #1by Unomomento » 13.04.2023, 00:04

Good afternoon, evening, or nights, to all who today suffer from love for space and astronautics! Congratulations to all participants of this forum on Cosmonautics Day! I want to talk with you about further advancement into space, namely, about creating a space map of the galaxy, about creating a galactic map of space! I have been creating this map for more than a year as a separate encyclopedia on the Internet, and I used the Celestia program to create it - because this program was loaded on my weak computer, which I have without a video card. I used the Celestia program to understand how stars look from different points in different places in the galaxy. Also, I used the Celestia program to create visualizations of the space map, using a notepad with asterisms for this. I decided to register on this forum to talk about my big project, and maybe create a whole addon for Celestia to make a Galactic Map out of this program, similar to the one that exists, for example, on the Normandy ship in the Mass Effect game, or A Galactic Map that will resemble the map from the Elite Dangerios game in terms of the number of stars!

I named my map project Astronomicon, after the name of the psychic navigation beacon from the Warhammer 40000 universe. The essence of this project for mapping the Milky Way Galaxy is to divide it into clusters, quadrants and sectors. The mapping of our Milky Way galaxy follows the principle of "Star Beacons", where the brightest stars, as well as groups of stars such as Open Star Clusters and Globular Star Clusters, are used as centers of clusters, quadrants and sectors. This is necessary in order to divide a huge number of stars in our galaxy into groups in order to better visualize the map for its civilian use.

A cluster is the main structural unit of the entire galactic map; in the entire galaxy there can be more than a billion of these clusters, and maybe more than a billion. Clusters are needed in order to divide an infinite number of stars into groups that are grouped around various bright stars. At the moment, I have outlined such clusters - the Sirius Cluster (the Solar System is located in it), the Fomalhaut Cluster, the Vega Cluster, the Altair Cluster and the Arcturus Cluster. Basically, such clusters are grouped around stars with Absolute Stellar Magnitude from 0 to 2 units.
The Quadrant is the next step after the Cluster, and the Quadrant includes one or more clusters that are located around a very bright star, such as a bloated giant like Capella or Arcturus. This was done in order to be able to divide the map into about a million Quadrants, so that it would be much easier to orientate in the galaxy. At the moment, such quadrants as the Capella Quadrant (this is our quadrant, this includes the Sirius Cluster, which includes the Sun), the Arcturus Quadrant are known.
A sector is the third floor after a Quadrant and a Cluster; a large number of clusters and several quadrants are grouped into it. Sectors are usually grouped around Open Star Clusters, Globular Star Clusters and Bright Supergiants. For example, such sectors are the Hyades Sector (probably the Capella Quadrant belongs to this sector), the Pleiades Sector, the Rigel Sector and the Canopus Sector.
Other units of Astronomican galactography:
A subcluster is a small cluster that is located in the vicinity of a prominent but not bright star, such as our Sun or the Alpha Centauri system. At the moment, such subclusters are known - Subcluster Sol (it includes the Sun and our Earth), Subcluster Taliman, Subcluster Sirius, Subcluster Alsafi, Subcluster Altair, Subcluster Achird, Subcluster Procyon, Subcluster Alula Australis, Subcluster Marfak and many other subclusters.
A minicluster is the smallest unit on the galactic map and clusters around orange dwarfs such as Epsilon Indi and Epsilon Eridani.
A province is an area of the galactic map in which several sectors are grouped, for example, I propose to name our area of space as Holy Terra - in honor of the name of our planet from the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
Satrapy is an even larger area of the galactic map, which includes several provinces, for example, I propose to name our satrapy as Satrapy Palestine - in honor of the historical Palestine on Earth.

I wrote this post because I need help with this galaxy map called Astronomicon Galaxy Map. I think my map project is some weird bullshit that I'm creating for no reason, because I don't think I can finish it completely - because there are over 100 billion stars in the galaxy, and it's simply impossible to put all of them into some kind of map. I started creating this map out of a desire to name all the stars in the sky myself, but I was faced with the fact that there are too many stars, and there is too little inspiration to name the stars. I'd like to just talk to someone about this project because I don't really talk to anyone at the moment.

The second thing I work on in the Galactic Astronomicon Map is the names of different stars and planets, this is necessary so that instead of different catalog numbers there is one name, so that each star and planet can be much easier to remember. So far, I have come up with names for most of the stars and planets within 50 light-years of the solar system, as well as the brightest and most visible stars in all the constellations in our Earth's sky.

I will describe briefly, in honor of which I named the stars in the constellations:
Andromeda - in honor of various fictional girls, for example, anime heroines, or heroines from games
Antlia - in honor of various technical devices like a pump
Apus - in honor of the cities of Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines
Aquarius - in honor of the various lakes on planet Earth
Aquila - in honor of Ancient Rome, its characters and cities
Ara - in honor of Israel and Palestine, in honor of the cities of Israel and Palestine
Aries - in honor of Kurdistan, Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan, as well as, honor of various places in the Caucasus
Auriga - in honor of the states and cities of the United States, as well as Canada
Boötes - in honor of the various granaries of the planet Earth, as well as in honor of various domesticated animals and plants
Caelum - after various books and writers
Camelopardalis - after various cities in south and east Africa
Cancer - in honor of the Tropic of Cancer in the Atlantic Ocean, Cuba, Caribbean, Azores, Canaries, Bermuda, Bahamas
Canes Venatici - in honor of the ancient and modern champions of the Olympic Games, as well as in honor of the racers of cars
Canis Major - after the cities of West Germany
Canis Minor - in honor of the cities of East Germany, Prussia and the Baltic states
Capricornus - after various cities in Turkey
Carina - after various cities in Portugal and Spain
Cassiopeia - after various goddesses and real women from Earth's history
Centaurus - in honor of the cities of Central Asia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uyguria, Mongolia and Inner Mongolia
Cepheus - in honor of fantasy heroes and fantasy locations
Cetus - in honor of corporations, in honor of large warships and large cruise ships
Chamaeleon - in honor of the cities and countries of West Africa, from Senegal to Niger, which is south of the Sahara
Circinus - honoring various engineers and designers
Columba - in honor of various physicians
Coma Berenices - in honor of various hairstyles and fashion in general
Corona Australis - in honor of various southern rulers of the Earth and southern ancient cultures
Corona Borealis - in honor of various ancient kings of Europe, as well as in honor of various expeditions to the north pole
Corvus - in honor of various monks and monasteries
Crater - in honor of various cities of Byzantium and the Balkans
Crux - in honor of various stories from the life of Jesus Christ
Cygnus - after the cities of Thailand, Malaysia, Burma and Bangladesh
Delphinus - in honor of the islands and seas of the Pacific Ocean
Dorado - in honor of different cities in Mexico
Draco - after various cities in China
Equuleus - in honor of the cities of Austria, the Czech Republic and Hungary
Eridanus - in honor of the various rivers on the planet Earth, another option is possible - in honor of Space Fiction
Fornax - in honor of various ovens and industries
Gemini - in honor of the cities of Ancient Mesopotamia and its rulers
Grus - in honor of those who died in World War II
Hercules - in honor of various fictional characters, in honor of comic book heroes and anime characters
Horologium - in honor of the cities of Switzerland
Hydra - in honor of the various hydroelectric power plants on planet Earth
Hydrus - in honor of the seas and islands of the Southern Ocean
Indus - in honor of the various peoples of North and South America
Lacerta - after the cities and states of Australia
Leo - in honor of the cities of Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Iraq
Leo Minor - in honor of the cities of Indonesia
Lepus - after various childhood heroes
Libra - in honor of various goods and coins
Lupus - in honor of various revolutions, revolutionary leaders, as well as in honor of the mafiosi and bandits of the Wild West
Lynx - after the cities of South and North Korea
Lyra - honoring various composers, musicians and music tracks
Mensa - in honor of the various mesas on planet Earth, and also, in honor of the highest peaks on planet Earth
Microscopium - in honor of various biologists and paleontologists
Monoceros - in honor of various castles and fortresses on planet Earth
Musca - in honor of the cities of Central Africa
Norma - in honor of mathematicians and geometers
Octans - in honor of the territory, expeditions and characters in the history of Antarctica
Ophiuchus - after various fictional villains from movies, games and anime
Orion - in honor of various rulers and cities of ancient Egypt
Pavo - after various cities in Brazil
Pegasus - in honor of various cities in Poland, Lithuania and the Commonwealth
Perseus - in honor of the cities of Persia, modern Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan
Phoenix - in honor of chemists and nuclear physicists
Pictor - in honor of the cities of Italy
Pisces - in honor of the various seas, bays and bays of the Atlantic Ocean
Piscis Austrinus - in honor of the various seas, bays and islands of the Indian Ocean
Puppis - after the cities of France
Pyxis - in honor of cartographers
Reticulum - in honor of computer games
Sagitta - in honor of various films, filmmakers and film history
Sagittarius - in honor of various firearms, fantasy weapons and battles of the New Age and Modern Time, as well as other battles in the history of the Earth
Scorpius - in honor of the cities of the Sahara, throughout North Africa
Sculptor - in honor of the cultural life of Ancient Greece
Scutum - in honor of the ancient Greek policies
Serpens - in honor of the cities of Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay
Sextans - names associated with sex
Taurus - after the cities of India
Telescopium - in honor of astronomers
Triangulum - after cities and places in Tibet, Nepal and Bhutan
Triangulum Australe - in honor of the mountains of Antarctica
Tucana - in honor of the cities of Central America and northern South America
Ursa Major - in honor of cities and places in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and Finland
Ursa Minor - in honor of the cities of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Iceland
Vela - in honor of the cities of England, Ireland, Scotland, Holland and Belgium
Virgo - in honor of the Christian church, the wife of Christ, in honor of the Christian apostles of the first century and Christian saints
Volans - after various spacecraft
Vulpecula - after the cities of Japan
All the names for the stars are currently in a state of preliminary names - because I don't think my idea of naming the stars will inspire anyone.

If my concept of a galactic map is of interest, then I will talk in more detail about it and about the names of the stars that I chose to name these different stars.
I dream of one day naming a whole billion stars in the sky, and naming over a billion stars in the sky. I know that this is a pipe dream, but I think that I can leave at least a thousand stars with their names in the sky - to inspire people to further achievements. I dream that at one moment millions of people on Earth would look up, at the stars, where there will already be billions of named stars in space, and each star will have its own story, and a very interesting story can be told about each star. I imagine a future where fathers will tell their children about the stars, and they will say, there, see that dim 6-magnitude star? It is a massive supergiant 6,000 light-years away, the center of a sector. And to the right, about 700 light-years from this giant, is Holy Terra, where we all come from!

Would you like to name the stars on this galactic map and leave behind a memory in the form of various beautiful names for nameless stars, for which now there are only numbers in the catalogs?

Return to “Add-on development”