Fictional Representation of 70 Virginis b [Needs Improvement]

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
CM1215 M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Fictional Representation of 70 Virginis b [Needs Improvement]

Post #1by CM1215 » 26.09.2017, 13:22

Hello.

I have made an addon that completely changes the appearance of the planet 70 Virginis b, and gives it a system of poorly named moons. It also gives the planet a unique double ring system:
b.PNG

I have found a problem with this addon with Celestia 1.7.0 and it's new ring shading mechanics. Because the inner rings are completely edge-one with the host star, Celestia can't decide which side is supposed to be shaded, so whenever the camera moves around the planet, the inner rings flash between light and dark. I can't fix this without changing the orientation of the rings.

I need some help with this addon. I need some new names for the moons (my names are not good) as well as some improved textures. I also need some help with the orbits and rotations of the moons to make them more realistic. But I am still keeping the double ring system. Any help would be most appreciated.

Here is the addon:
70VirB.zip
(12.28 MiB) Downloaded 219 times
CM1215: Celestial master in learning.

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 26.09.2017, 16:21

that is not a bug
it is a physical impossibility to have rings that are NOT in the plane of the planet ( give or take a few degrees )

you can not have rings that are 45 deg different

and why ??? are you using 7 tinny ssc files ????

also "brings.ssc and bcore.ssc" make no real sense

you might want to read the wiki on ssc files
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia
-- the ssc file
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/SSC_File

it is a bit old but still relevant

Topic author
CM1215 M

Post #3by CM1215 » 28.09.2017, 13:05

John Van Vliet wrote:that is not a bug
Are you sure you understand what bug I'm talking about? This same bug would happen with any planet that has it's rings exactly edge-on with its host star; the new light side/dark side shading in Celestia 1.7.0 causes the rings to flash because Celestia doesn't know which side should be shaded.

John Van Vliet wrote:it is a physical impossibility to have rings that are NOT in the plane of the planet ( give or take a few degrees )

you can not have rings that are 45 deg different
Are you sure? If they were initially placed in that orbit, would their orbit gradually change to match or almost match the plane of the planet?

John Van Vliet wrote:and why ??? are you using 7 tinny ssc files ????
This is one of my older addons...the ssc files were scattered about in my extras folder, and the textures were in the general medres folder. I wanted to quickly get them into an addon folder so that I could release it.

John Van Vliet wrote:also "brings.ssc and bcore.ssc" make no real sense
brings.ssc adds rings to 70 Virginis b and changes its texture and angle of rotation. bcore.ssc adds a new object with exactly the same orbital and rotational mechanics as 70 Virginis b, but slightly smaller. It is how I add the inner rings.

Topic author
CM1215 M

Post #4by CM1215 » 11.10.2017, 00:53

Would anyone else like to add their thoughts on this addon?

Return to “Add-on development”