Interactive Addon: Invaders of Mars!

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Interactive Addon: Invaders of Mars!

Post #1by selden » 05.07.2017, 19:45

Here's an interactive Addon. I haven't worked on it for a while, and it's only about half done, but I thought people might enjoy playing with it. Be sure to read the readme files. Just about everything in it will react to being clicked-on after you invoke the .celx script.

https://www.classe.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/files/invaders_of_mars_a1.zip

44MB, expands to 104 MB

envelope.jpg
Open the envelope!
Selden

Goofy
With us: 12 years 8 months

Post #2by Goofy » 05.07.2017, 20:53

OMG, Selden, you make an incredibly original thing.
I see here many of the addons you made in the past, like Von Braun's ship to Mars etc, that I'm still using in my school courses, but now you show them in such a dynamic way!
I'm very pleased for this, and cannot wait to see it completed.
Well done and very appreciated, my nephews tomorrow will surely love it.
Bye
Goofy :smile:
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Joe
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #3by Joe » 14.07.2017, 10:42

VERY impressive, incredible, Selden!!! The add-on is intensively coded in Lua (5.1). But I am wondering when Lua 5.1 has faded out and replaced by Lua 5.2, your add-on Lua code could be no longer compatible, unless Celestia forever uses Lua 5.1.

This is also a worrying issue that has to add onto the future of Celestia: it seems a big hurdle to upgrading Celestia to Lua 5.2.
Joe
8O

Topic author
selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #4by selden » 14.07.2017, 11:19

Lua 5.2 also is obsolete: 5.3 was released in January, 2015. The current version is 5.3.4, released Jan. 30, 2017.

A quick scan of the incompatibilities suggests that the differences are not likely to have a significant impact on Lua programs, at least not what I've written. The implementation inside Celestia might require significant changes, though.

Note, however, that sticking with an older version is not necessarily a bad thing. Lua is used in many "embedded" products, so older versions of Lua have to continue to exist or civilization as we know it would collapse. ;) To put it another way, once a particular computing environment has been designed into a hardware device, it has to continue to be supported for far longer than the software manufacturers would like to admit. For example, the lab where I work has many extremely expensive data acquisition devices which run "no longer supported" operating systems from ROM. Replacing them all is not an option.
Selden

Return to “Add-on development”