Right hand not talking to the left!!!!

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Re: Right hand not talking to the left!!!!

Post #1by John Van Vliet » 12.02.2013, 04:45

The hosting site "ibiblio.org"
is discontinuing the FTP service ( too old fashion )
so
a temp FTP server is being used
then the files will be copied over to the ML

this necessitates smaller files
as in part 1 then part 2 then part 3 ,.... and so on

for years i have ( on and off ) trying to get a p2p swarm going on "TPB"
but
with no one willing to seed ........
it is a non starter .

Technically i am not an Admin .I am just a person who is checking to make sure that the files are technically correct ,
and can be used on every OS that Celestia runs on .
( bumpmaps are 8 bit gray , sizes are the correct size - one or two "odd size" images is not really an issue , maps that do map to a sphere , correct capitalization in ssc's and on meshes ,... and so on )

Goofy
With us: 13 years

Post #2by Goofy » 13.02.2013, 14:37

Hi pla879.
If I can give my personal opinion, I would be very reluctant to download a large 1.3 GB addon zip, for two reasons:
1- You say it is a nice addon, with realistic textures and faithfull reconstruction of SrarTrek Universe but this is the author's opinion, that sometimes may be not the same of other people;
2- I'm used to buy after looking at what I'm buying, so please don't speak only to advertise your work, but share lots of images, so that we can grow our own opinion on it, and decide if it's worth or not the download.
My suggestion: your 95MB basic zip is OK, because it will give me (us) the possibility to check if it fills my (our) expectations.
After this, and only after having a positive feedback by people who downloaded it, go on uploading other single-theme zips, e.g hi-res planets, moons, ships, stations, nebulae and what else.
As I told, just my opinion.
Anyway, I'm waiting for your basic zip. ;-)
Good luck!

Goofy :-)
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #3by Hungry4info » 14.02.2013, 22:10

This might have something to do with it. But I totally agree. You need to have screenshots as previews if you expect people to download an artistic add-on.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Topic author
John Van Vliet

Post #4by John Van Vliet » 15.02.2013, 06:04

well there is only one person in charge so .....

and a notice went out on the admin mailing list
that "ibiblio.org" is discontinuing the FTP service

so the 128 k level7 Venus map that is in 16 parts and each part is 790 to 850 meg each ....

but it is rather easy to cut up a addon that has ships and textures into a few parts
even a lowres version then a few hires zips that have a few that are very hi-poly count meshes

basically
if you like the lores version then
here is the VERY hires version -- in a lot of parts

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #5by Adirondack » 15.02.2013, 22:50

Phil,

in a personal mail on Feb 10 I told you why your two very big files is a problem.
And this problem is *not* "Right hand not talking to the left".
AFAIK John even did not check your 72 Her upload since the first time you did
upload the files in a wrong format, your second uploads were far too big.

Nevertheless I agree with Goofy:
My suggestion: your 95MB basic zip is OK, because it will give me (us) the possibility to check if it fills my (our) expectations.
After this, and only after having a positive feedback by people who downloaded it, go on uploading other single-theme zips, e.g hi-res planets, moons, ships, stations, nebulae and what else.
When one (or more) of your add-on part(s) is about 120 or 150 MB - so what?
Just *try* to keep them < 100 MB.

I wonder why you pull this issue into the public?
We were in touch already ...

-- Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Goofy
With us: 13 years

Post #6by Goofy » 15.02.2013, 23:46

Hi Phil.
I'm very curious to see a detailed image (possibly a close-up) of your three very huge models:
annexdd1 113031 KB
researchdd 90946 KB
ussventurencc71854 84238 KB
Each of them would need a single .zip file to be uploaded to motherlode, and I've many doubts that such a detail could be really appreciated in Celestia, unless using the latest high-end graphic cards. 8O
Even if I'm absolutely ignorant about modelling, following many threads here I clearly understood that a model can be realized in various levels of complexity, and that "bigger" sometimes doesn't mean "better".
Just an example: largest StarWars Saga model in motherlode, Jestr's Hi-Res Star Destroyer, is "only" 6554 KB, i.e. 1/13th to 1/17th of the three shown, but even if so small it's a very nice and detailed model!
So, please, can you show us the images?
I'm sure we'll see wonders. :wink:
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Goofy :)
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Topic author
John Van Vliet

Post #7by John Van Vliet » 16.02.2013, 18:35

there is NO " left not talking to the right "

pictures were suggested for the motherload
a 1.3 gig add on some will NEVER download with out first seeing some very detailed screenshots

( i fully expect some would NEVER grab my level 6 and 7 Venus map - they ARE LARGE ~4 Gig &~12Gig . if you have a datacap well ....)

Or a maybe even use a "lowres" version with the hires zips as a optional download

one way is to post a thread about that one add on in the "add on release " section
then the the description ( short or long )
add a link from the ML listing to the add on release thread

Point people to the very large parts on the add on release page with say
"if you like the lowres then YOU WILL LOVE the big hires ,it is more than worth the time "

mind you more that say 4 or 5 screen shots on the ML listing is a bit of overkill
the default is to show only 4 , so place the rest on shatters ,or flicker,or imagebam or picassa ,or....

please do not turn a " questions about the new polices FORCED onto the ML "
into a second startrek photo posting thread
( and replace ST with BSG,or SW if needed )

Cham M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #8by Cham » 17.02.2013, 00:14

pla879 wrote:I plan to keep out of the forums for awhile because there is so much drama and everyone is just too territorial and afraid of what they will say and/or whom they will piss off. If anyone wants me to upload the basic add-on email me because I am not even going to log on to here to see what is posted. I am tired of it.

The problem isn't that everyone is too "territorial". The problem (in my eyes, at least) is Star Trek ! I'm completely disgusted by this bad taste SF crap, we don't need more Star Trek stuff in the Celestia universe. Just look at the Motherlode, in its SF section : there are TONS of Star Trek addons, and the quality SUCKS ! I'm tired of Star Trek and its stereotypical naive spaceships and planets ! This stuff is so vulgar ! :evil: What's wrong with the Star Trek fans to invade the Celestia community like this !? There are lots of Star Trek dedicated forums out there, the Star Trek conversions should be presented there.

IMO, all Star Trek related stuff should simply be forbiden on this forum, like politics, crackpots physics and some other subjects.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Cham M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #9by Cham » 17.02.2013, 14:14

olyv wrote:without some modelers, this forum would be sad, desertic and monochrome. :(

It's already sad, desertic and monochrome : Star Trek style !
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Guckytos
With us: 20 years 3 months

Post #10by Guckytos » 03.03.2013, 09:53

I think this thread is leading nowhere --> therefore:

Thread closed.

Return to “Add-on development”