Star Trek Add-On and Models

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

Re: Star Trek Add-On and Models

Post #1by John Van Vliet » 08.12.2012, 04:39

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 19.10.2013, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #2by Cham » 12.12.2012, 03:07

And here we go again. Same guy, same models, same lame previews !
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Marco Klunder
With us: 16 years 4 months

Post #3by Marco Klunder » 12.12.2012, 20:12

pla879 wrote:If you find it so lame, don't visit the forum. Be mature about it. Being insulting is just plain childish. If you can't control yourself from insulting other's work at least do it privately. A private message would have been a better way of handling it than by posting it in a public forum. That's common courtesy. Do onto others so on and so forth. Have a good day. (smile)
Pla879

Before attacking respected forum members like Cham this way and this quick, I want to advise you to FIRST take notice of this thread:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17118.

Regarding this, recently also new forum guidelines were stated in:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6180#p131930.

You are kind of announcing 70-80 models and each time you seem to find more... Promissing a new "overload" of SCIFI related pictures/models...

The message is, that THIS public forum wants to be focussed on Celestia / Astronomy related topics and NOT being a place with an overload of SCIFI pictures and models.

Please respect these rules and the intention of this forum, instead of staring a new (star)war(s) on this forum :!:
Marco Klunder
email: marco.klunder@xs4all.nl
Windows10 PD 3.0 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6700 XL
Celestia161 / SVN + Lua Edu Tools v1.2 Beta9, Celestia160-ED and Celestia1621

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #4by Hungry4info » 13.12.2012, 15:27

We've had in the past an issue with a couple forum members who are no longer with us. They flooded the forum with hundreds of images of low-quality, unimaginative Star Trek models. It was so bad that it probably qualified as spam. To pour salt in the wound, they would register multiple accounts to artificially boost the perceived interest in it. And once one account was banned, another would replace it. It ruffled a few feathers here amongst several of the members, myself included.

When you wrote...
I have between 70 and 80 models on the add-on so far. When I am ready to complete it, I seem to find a new one, work on it, email the creator back and forth for suggestions and/or permission for use and then I add it.
... it probably caused flashbacks to that horrific time, not too long ago.

It looks like you probably put a bit more work and effort into this than what we had to endure a while ago with the spam, and your post's and their wording structure are quite a bit different from the aforementioned attacker(s). So I don't really think you have the same malicious intent.

What you might do is avoid releasing pictures until you have a complete product ready to distribute. That might be the most straightforward way to demonstrate your intent (i.e., creating add-ons, instead of just spreading images).

The aforementioned issues have left Star Trek a somewhat sensitive topic on this forum, but this thread is specifically designed to accommodate it as a compromise during negotiations about the issue (see this thread) so it seems mean-spirited to complain about Star Trek posts in the Star Trek -specific thread.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #5by selden » 29.01.2013, 12:23

Instructions for how to combine the two parts are included here:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celest ... g.html#4.1

After exporting a model from Anim8or, combine the files so that the material file is first in the resulting .CMOD file, and the mesh file is second.

In a Windows Command window, you can type a command like
COPY name.CMOD_MATERIAL/B + name.CMOD_MESH/B name.CMOD/B

The /B switches are needed to prevent Windows from inserting a Ctrl-Z which would keep Celestia from using the output file. Replace name by the actual name of your files.

In a Cygwin command window under Windows, you can use a command like
cat name.cmod_material name.cmod_mesh > name.cmod
Selden

fungun
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #6by fungun » 29.01.2013, 22:18

yes phil, we can see the all holes with anim8or or autodesk.
in fact they appear in light gray circled in red in screenshot below.
When converted to cmod, do the "holes" appear where you have the circle?
If yes, then it is because the normals (faces) are flipped the wrong way and you have to flip each one the right way. In a normal render it does not matter, but the way Celestia renders models it does matter.
You can easily do this in Anim8or.

Tim

farshot
With us: 15 years 2 months

Post #7by farshot » 06.02.2013, 19:16

Hello guys.

Please stop Olyv immediately. I am a representative from the Star Trek modding community of Bridge Commander Central. This guy does not obtain permissions for using our models, and when confronted about it he doesn't even have the decency to say sorry, he just takes the ban and makes new accounts to continue what he does. You may know him by his ever so infamous previous handle of BDFD. I'd give you a list of proof, but every single one of his posts suffices for that. Every single one of those ships is not his, and he'll edit them too, not even respecting our integrity as original artists. He does not seek permission from us for doing these things, and even if he did, 90% of us would say no and he'd likely do it anyway.

And I would encourage you all to watch new guys with Star Trek ships that appear to be too good to be made for a newbie. He loves to make new accounts and pretend he's a new person.

FarShot
Bridge Commander Central Moderator

farshot

Post #8by farshot » 06.02.2013, 19:25

Some of the many ships he's taken (These links may require several refreshes to view):

USS Reliant A by Baz1701 and SFSY
USS Spokane by WileyCoyote
Valiant class by DJ Curtis
Akira class by WileyCoyote

farshot

Post #9by farshot » 08.02.2013, 18:32

If they don't answer, you don't do it.

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #10by selden » 10.02.2013, 14:04

Until they answer, you do not have permission to publish anything based on their work.
If you publish without permission, you are violating their copyright and they can take you to court.
When legal issues are involved, it is not very hard to contact your mail provider, find out exactly who you are, where you live, and the appropriate court to start legal proceedings.
Selden

farshot

Post #11by farshot » 10.02.2013, 19:38

If they are foolish/forgiving enough to give you permissions to use their ships, then you may use their ships.

Topic author
John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #12by John Van Vliet » 23.02.2013, 19:37

you might want to use real celestia screen shots ,rather than someone else s painted( air-brushed) art work
Also you might want to credit the original artist
unless it was produced as "work for hire" by paramount ......

Guckytos
With us: 20 years

Post #13by Guckytos » 24.02.2013, 18:36

olyv wrote:
john Van Vliet wrote:you might want to use real celestia screen shots ,rather than someone else s painted( air-brushed) art work
Also you might want to credit the original artist unless it was produced as "work for hire" by paramount ......
Ola,
please, try to deal add-ons (pla879, ...) to validate rather than embarking on something else ... :(
I note that the color of the user is neither green nor red ...

Hello olyv,

If you want an answer or reaction from a user with a nice red color on his name just keep up posting stuff like this!

I other words this is a warning to you "olyv" to keep a civilized tone here.

Also keep the warning of farshot in mind and only publish here pictures of addon where you have the permission of the original creator. And of course goes the same for links to addons!

Guckytos

Return to “Add-on development”