REQUEST: Hayabusa mission addon

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Diigg M
With us: 13 years 4 months

REQUEST: Hayabusa mission addon

Post #1by Diigg » 15.02.2011, 14:24

Hello,

I'm looking for an addon that plays the Hayabusa mission. I've been searching both the repository of Celestia, the forum as well as on the Internet, but have not found anything to play events and meetings of the mission with precision. I too have found no model of the Hayabusa probe, which I find strange.
Does anyone know if this addon and where you can download?.

Greetings

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: REQUEST: Hayabusa mission addon

Post #2by selden » 15.02.2011, 15:49

Although there currently is no Addon for Celestia, it wouldn't be impossible for someone to create one. I don't have the time, though.

A sketchup model of the spacecraft is available at http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 71c69458b8

In principle, it could be exported to 3ds format for use in Celestia, but you'd have to get permission from its creator.

The spacecraft's trajectory is available from JPL's Horizons ephemeris server. Their format can be translated to Celestia's xyz trajectory format without too much difficulty.
Selden

celestrom hayabusa
With us: 7 years 7 months

Post #3by celestrom hayabusa » 23.11.2016, 03:32

Says herror 404 the page not found

selden
Developer

Post #4by selden » 29.11.2016, 11:55

Selden

John Van Vliet

Post #5by John Van Vliet » 30.11.2016, 02:11

from start to end
That is easier said then done

the simple part is it's current location on the surface of the asteroid

the next is orbiting the asteroid

the hardest one is launch to orbit to on the surface

xyzv files can be made from the spice data or as i do use the spice data

the earth and the asteroid and sun will need spice orbits
then adding the spacecraft to it

for reference see the spice orbit forum on CM
http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewforum.php?f ... 702302a4dda518927d286c26d8f255
the cassini or New Horizons spacecraft would be good examples of putting it in orbit around the asteroid
( i have NOT done dawn at vesta or ceres )

but first learning to use the spice files is a bit like having a
" Pangalactic gargle blaster "

but gets better with time

FarGetaNik M
With us: 12 years

Post #6by FarGetaNik » 30.11.2016, 18:15

John Van Vliet wrote:xyzv files can be made from the spice data or as i do use the spice data

Hm I think this is not very helpful. For starters, XYZ files are pretty straight forward, but it's hard to understand what a spice orbit is. I don't really get it myself. I can tell from my experience that I hate to deal with something I can't understand to a full extend soon by a simple research. Well doesn't the Horizons system do exactly that, converting a spice orbit into a xyz(v) file? If there is spice data avaliable, you could as well just use a xyz(v) file calculated from it, or did I understand something wrong? Only problem would be the Horizons system also isn't that easy to deal with.

selden
Developer

Post #7by selden » 30.11.2016, 18:21

Once you figure out the details, It's relatively easy to get xyz info from Horizons via email. (Or at least it used to be; I haven't done it for quite a while.)

Unfortunately, spacecraft mission managers don't always provide Horizons with up-to-date orbital information, and sometimes not at all. If you can get spice files from a mission's Web site it's more likely to be current and accurate. (but I haven't used Spice orbits for even longer.)
Selden

FarGetaNik M

Post #8by FarGetaNik » 01.12.2016, 07:41

Yes, it's not that hard to learn for sure.

selden wrote:Unfortunately, spacecraft mission managers don't always provide Horizons with up-to-date orbital information, and sometimes not at all.
I've encountered some oddities, sometimes a specific spacecraft is avaliable, like Akatsuki, but the time period for orbital data changes. A while back I aquired orbital data from launch to shortly after the Venus flyby, that's where the data ended. Now there is data avaliable from the time in solar orbit to Venus orbit, but not anymore for the Venus flyby. Fortunately, I saved the trajectory back then, but stitching those 2 together results in a data gap of several month.

nardo M
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #9by nardo » 05.12.2016, 10:53

FarGetaNik wrote:a data gap of several month.
i forget how i got this. either spice or jaxa. or both. does it cover what you're missing?

edit: the orbit centers chronologically are sol, ssb, and venus.
Attachments
akatsuki.7z
(169.48 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
PC: Acer Aspire E 15, Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz (2.8GHz with Turbo Boost), 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB VRAM, Windows 10 Home

FarGetaNik M

Post #10by FarGetaNik » 05.12.2016, 14:31

nardo wrote:i forget how i got this. either spice or jaxa. or both. does it cover what you're missing?
Yes it does. It was roughly from dec 2010 to sep 2011. It should be the part "akatsuki.xyz". But the problem is when simply putting it into orbit around the sun, it is way off the ecliptic plane and shifted. What orbit frame do you use?

nardo M
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #11by nardo » 06.12.2016, 05:09

FarGetaNik wrote:it is way off the ecliptic plane and shifted.

hmm you're right. i wonder what happened. might be a mistake i made while changing the format in notepad++. i can't find the original but i did find this: https://darts.jaxa.jp/planet/project/akatsuki/akatsuki_trajectory_data.html.en

also, i'll start putting together a hayabusa add-on and see how it looks. this one might be pretty easy.
PC: Acer Aspire E 15, Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz (2.8GHz with Turbo Boost), 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB VRAM, Windows 10 Home

Return to “Add-on development”