Aurelia, Blue Moon, and Darwin IV add-ons?

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
NuclearVacuum
With us: 15 years 7 months

Aurelia, Blue Moon, and Darwin IV add-ons?

Post #1by NuclearVacuum » 19.10.2008, 22:57

I have observed this image on Wikipedia for some time now, and I can not hold my curiosity any further. Is there (or was there) an add-on for the fictional planets of Aurelia and Blue Moon [the one pictured] from the National Geographic presentation Extraterrestrial?

And since I am on the subject of fictional planets from a documentary, I need to mention Darwin IV from Alien Planet. Is there an add-on for this system as well? Either way, I am working on the STC file for the Darwin system, so if there is none, there will be one in the future :mrgreen:
Я люблю экзопланет

Spaceman M
With us: 17 years 3 months

Re: Aurelia, Blue Moon, and Darwin IV add-ons?

Post #2by Spaceman » 20.10.2008, 12:28

Sadly there are not these addons :(
But you can create them if you want :D
"Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God"
Michael Shermer

My addons: Nemesis, Ursa Minor Dwarf Galaxy Stars

zhar2
With us: 16 years 1 month

Post #3by zhar2 » 21.10.2008, 10:22

My addon for ross 154 is the closest thing to aurelia and its infact based on it.

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #4by ajtribick » 21.10.2008, 15:07

I'd guess there would be copyright issues involved in making such an add-on.

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #5by NuclearVacuum » 23.10.2008, 14:09

zhar2 wrote:My addon for ross 154 is the closest thing to aurelia and its infact based on it.

You were the one who made that add-on? Just want you to know, that I really like it. I have used the basic ideals of it to make a (kinda) Aurelia, but I can only go so far with it.

Also, I think I have a better chance of making the add-on for Darwin IV. Like I mentioned earier, I already made an STC-file for the two stars, but I may have trouble making the textures for Darwin IV, because I am still beginning to understand that process. It took me a while to get a workable map for my planet (Dazbog). :lol:
Я люблю экзопланет

coaxis
With us: 15 years 4 months

Post #6by coaxis » 07.01.2009, 22:12

Hi,

Today I've started making an Darwin IV add-on.
The .stc and .ssc files are ready but only one planet - Darwin IV exists by now.
Darwin system was made according to information that can be found on official Discovery Channel - Alien Planet website.
Double star system Darwin A, B - placed 6.5 ly from us, 20AU between them, Darwin IV placed 2AU from it's primary star.
Darwin IV is orbiting Darwin A star in 1.6 earth years. Temporarily I've placed Darwin system in Orion constellation (between Betelgeuse and Bellatrix) because I couldn't find an information where Darwin System should be... Any suggestions? Oh, and maybe you remember how long the Darwin's IV day is?
Everything I've done today, so this may be called as a pre-alpha version. I hope I'll be able to finish this, because that would be my first add-on, and I'm learning actually...

Now I'm giving you a sample image of Darwin IV, I hope you will like it. Left one is original, "Celestial" one is on the right.

Thanks.

zhar2

Post #7by zhar2 » 07.01.2009, 22:19

Very nice indeed.

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #8by eburacum45 » 15.01.2009, 01:28

coaxis wrote: Temporarily I've placed Darwin system in Orion constellation (between Betelgeuse and Bellatrix) because I couldn't find an information where Darwin System should be... Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Since the system is entirely fictional, you can put it anywhere you like. No information about RA and Dec was given in the program, so whatever you decide is fine.

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #9by ajtribick » 15.01.2009, 11:33

IIRC Darwin system was an F-type binary at a distance of about 6.5 light years. This would make it the third nearest star system to the Sun: only the Alpha Centauri triple and Barnard's star are closer. Since such a star system doesn't exist (it would be fairly obvious in the night sky if it did), probably best to put it wherever you want.

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #10by NuclearVacuum » 07.02.2009, 00:30

I have also been working on the system's planetary and stellar files. If you don't mind me saying, I placed the Darwin system in Aquarius (Charles Darwin's sign). I have not only made the data for Darwin IV, but also Darwin I, II, and III. Here is how my planet texture looks so far:

However, they are nothing in comparison to coaxis' textures. Those textures are really cool. Any chance you can upload them here? Also, I found this image that shows the data for the four planets of Darwin (and possible moons of Darwin IV). However, it is too small to make anything out. Has anyone seen this before?

Я люблю экзопланет

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #11by selden » 07.02.2009, 13:16

You might consider contacting the author of the book. Sometimes they can be quite supportive of efforts like yours.
Selden

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #12by NuclearVacuum » 08.02.2009, 16:21

selden wrote:You might consider contacting the author of the book. Sometimes they can be quite supportive of efforts like yours.

... why didn't I think of that :oops: I didn't even know that was possible.
Я люблю экзопланет

Reiko
With us: 17 years 7 months

Post #13by Reiko » 08.02.2009, 16:37

The book about Darwin was a little different then what they presented in Alien Planet. I'll have to go through my boxes of books to see if I still have it to give you details.

Reiko

Post #14by Reiko » 08.02.2009, 22:18

I couldn't find the book but I found this.

This site gives some detailed information on Darwin IV and its solar system. http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/al ... et_m2.html

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #15by NuclearVacuum » 10.02.2009, 00:48

Reiko wrote:I couldn't find the book but I found this.

This site gives some detailed information on Darwin IV and its solar system. http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/al ... et_m2.html

OMG... thank you so very much! This does help me out to a great level. However, it fails to mention the date for the other planets, and not mentioning whether or not Darwin IV has moons. Either way, this is a great start :D
Я люблю экзопланет

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #16by NuclearVacuum » 11.02.2009, 15:47

I just got back a message from Wayne Barlowe (the author of Darwin IV). He said that he is going to help us out :D
Я люблю экзопланет

zhar2

Post #17by zhar2 » 11.02.2009, 21:56

NuclearVacuum wrote:I just got back a message from Wayne Barlowe (the author of Darwin IV). He said that he is going to help us out :D

OMG, WOW hes like my favorite artist, i loved his visions of hell, aliens and his book gods demon, i cant believe hes taking time to help in this (how great) (fan talking sorry).

BTW im quite handy making planet texures if you want me to take a crack at it to achieve the closest resemblance.

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #18by NuclearVacuum » 12.02.2009, 14:59

zhar2 wrote:OMG, WOW hes like my favorite artist, i loved his visions of hell, aliens and his book gods demon, i cant believe hes taking time to help in this (how great) (fan talking sorry).

Really, mine too :lol: And if you think him helping us makes you sound jittery, imagine actually e-mailing him. Also, I gave him the link to this discussion :wink:

zhar2 wrote:BTW im quite handy making planet texures if you want me to take a crack at it to achieve the closest resemblance.

Be my guest. I think I am still an amateur when it comes to making planetary textures. Still, I am trying my best to come up with a texture for Darwin IV.

Here is my second attempt to make to make a Darwin IV. I still think it isn't a good as Coaxis' texture, but it is still pretty good for something.
Я люблю экзопланет

Reiko

Post #19by Reiko » 14.02.2009, 00:09

NuclearVacuum wrote:I just got back a message from Wayne Barlowe (the author of Darwin IV). He said that he is going to help us out :D
Oh how very nice of him! :) I'm curious but did Mr. Barlowe know about Celestia before you contacted him?

Topic author
NuclearVacuum

Post #20by NuclearVacuum » 14.02.2009, 01:57

Reiko wrote:I'm curious but did Mr. Barlowe know about Celestia before you contacted him?

That is funny that you mention that. I had to explain to him what Celestia was. But not to many people know of it, so I can't blame him.
Я люблю экзопланет

Return to “Add-on development”