First add-on located in another galaxy ( in development )

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Enio
With us: 19 years 10 months

First add-on located in another galaxy ( in development )

Post #1by Enio » 20.03.2008, 16:58

Hi celestians, I'm developing this add-on for some weeks. The development will be very slow, because I want to make this add-on very "realistic" and will have many large textures. All planets in such Audbeyon system will be carbon planets. It's certainly the first add-on being developed that is located in another galaxy, out of the 16Ly limit. 8) 8) 8)

I'll show the location of such add-on.

Here's the 2 Audbeyon stars:

Now you see the glow of Audbeyon and the bright points are some of it's planets ( in development ):

And now the galaxy in which Audbeyon is located ( the upper left galaxy glowing is our Milky Way with LMC and SMC: 8O 8O 8O 8)

Audbeyon system is a carbon and metal rich system that is located in M33 or Andromeda galaxy!!! Such add-on may also include some or even many other stars in this galaxy. Maybe such stars will also have planets orbiting them.

It's certainly that such add-on will be separated in many parts, mainly because of the many large textures.

So... what do you think? I need some opinions and suggestions to make my add-on as good as possible.

And one more thing: With the new patch of Celestia that allow us to add stars and planets out of 16Ly limit, each people can now make add-ons in other galaxies or simply creating a new galaxy near Milky Way and put an add-on in there. Very Cool. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by Enio on 21.03.2008, 18:52, edited 4 times in total.

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #2by BobHegwood » 20.03.2008, 18:04

Just one suggestion from the Brain-Dead here...

Would very much like to see as many stars as possible in add-ons
outside of our previous limits. Don't know if you plan to do that or
not, but the more actual stars I see in an add-on, the better it seems
to represent a real galaxy.

Just my opinion though, and we all know what that's worth... :roll:

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #3by Reiko » 20.03.2008, 19:40

This is really cool! Where do I get the patch at?

EDIT: I found the patch :D

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #4by t00fri » 20.03.2008, 20:15

Enio,

your project sounds interesting, but obviously, you
don't know yet how to properly display my galaxies
;-)

Here are a few examples how they should look like:

A SBb type galaxy:
A SBc type galaxy:
M 74 (Sc type):

F.

Topic author
Enio

Post #5by Enio » 21.03.2008, 02:20

My add-on will include Audbeyon and some more near stars. I'm thinking to create such extra stars and also put planets orbiting them. Until now, Audbeyon system is the only I made. It'll take some time to finish it and start a new system. It's because the most important system in this add-on will be such Audbeyon.

The 2 major features of my project are: most planets are carbon planets and the fact of being located in another galaxy. I'm also thinking to add some more features, such as spaceships, nebulae... but making 3d objects will be a real challenge to me. I don't have experience in using programs to create such 3d objects.

I'll do the best I can do in my project. As I sad, the development will be very slow, but Audbeyon system is an interesting place to visit, specially because many worlds are full of alien life, being on the surface, under layers of ice in an ocean layer or even within the clouds of organic rich gas giants. 8)

Tuefish
With us: 17 years 4 months
Location: Just a little to the left of the middle of nowhere, Southern California, USA

Post #6by Tuefish » 21.03.2008, 07:12

I think an easy way to beautify and expand your galaxy would be to add some clusters and binary systems.
"Over Seventy earths spinnin' round in the galaxy, and the meek have inherited not a one."
-Malcolm Reynolds

Spaceman M
With us: 17 years 4 months

Post #7by Spaceman » 21.03.2008, 10:59

Why not Rassilon??s Cluster Generator? :wink:

I don't know how, but you can use it to create lot's of stars. Talk to Rassilon for help.
Personal, i also need to know how i can create a cluster :?
"Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God"
Michael Shermer

My addons: Nemesis, Ursa Minor Dwarf Galaxy Stars

Topic author
Enio

Post #8by Enio » 21.03.2008, 14:20

The only thing I'm thinking to add in my add-on is my Audbeyon binary system and some more stars with some planets. Bet, yes, some globular clusters will be cool to add. I'm also thinking to add some pulsars and some other things, including a big central black hole. I sad that the development will be slow and until now I'm more fucused in my planetary system. But when I finish it, I'll add planets to other stars and the other things I sad now.

My add-on is expected to be extreme huge because Andromeda galaxy will have many features. I'll have to separate in many parts. Each part will have a complete system or part of a big system, like Audbeyon, or the models with pulsars, black holes, etc... But to run my add-on will need the new patch that unlock the 16Ly barrier, otherwise it won't work.

One more thing. The galaxy I showed in the image above was M33, not M31 ( I thought M33 was the Andromeda galaxy ). I'll soon show the correct galaxy. Now one question. What I can do to display the galaxies properly as t00fri said?

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #9by t00fri » 21.03.2008, 15:58

Enio wrote:...
What I can do to display the galaxies properly as t00fri said?

I have explained this several times in this forum already (cf Search
engine). Here we go once more:

===========================================

A correct galaxy display requires first of all correct settings.

If we make the galaxy display too dim as a default, many newbie users
will NOT find the galaxies, as experience showed!

Galaxies are difficult objects since -- on average -- we are talking
about objects of 13th (app) magnitude while our default stars end at
about 10th. The difficulty is enhanced by the poor dynamic range of
monitors! The dimmest galaxies in Celestia are 16th mag!

In general it is best to activate the 'automag' feature (CTRL+y)
(most people looking regularly at galaxies use the automag). That
implies when the FOV corresponds to naked eye view, the galaxies are
very dim and you can at best make out the brightest ones in the sky.
When you zoom in, however, the FOV decreases and the galaxy
brightness increases along with the apparent galaxy size and the
resolution of detail.

That "telescope effect" according to many users (including myself ;-) )
provides a quite natural impression of galaxies.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As I noticed during our numerous galaxy display tests, many users do
not know how to correctly display the galaxies after hitting G=goto,
i.e. on closer distance. Here one has to understand the crucially
different functions of SHIFT+mouse_L movements versus
CTRL+mouse_L. While the latter changes the physical distance the
former changes the zoom/FOV keeping the distance constant. In one
case the density of luminous sprites (=number of bubbles/area)
remains constant while in the other case it changes, thus affecting
STRONGLY the galaxy appearance. As a rule of thumb you should
always combine the two mouse actions <=> distance vs zoom such
that finally you still perceive some glowing nebulosity between
the spiral arms. After some practicing this is very easy to achieve.
Probably I should modify the GOTO command for galaxies such that
the right perspective arises by default.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With automag deactivated you should set the star magnitude ('[' ']'
keys) to 7-8 (NOT more). Then galaxies also look OK. Trying to
display too faint stars will make the galaxies overbright without the
automag.
===========================================

F.

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #10by Hungry4info » 21.03.2008, 17:05

I've actually completed my first add-on in Andromeda already, being that binary star that t00fri posted a while back. It isn't all too great though, as the star seperation, I have some questions about, and the star spectral types I just assumed to be type O.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Topic author
Enio

Post #11by Enio » 21.03.2008, 19:35

Is there another program to generate stars than Rassilon??s Cluster Generator?

Reiko

Post #12by Reiko » 23.03.2008, 06:43

Enio wrote:Is there another program to generate stars than Rassilon??s Cluster Generator?

I do not think there is one as easy to use as that one as well as randomly generate solar systems.

Topic author
Enio

Post #13by Enio » 23.03.2008, 14:47

Hi. I'll add some more pictures of my development. The number of stars, comparing to stars in Milky Way is still too low, but at least Audbeyon system now has many neighbours. I'll put more stars, but it will take some time. I'm also thinking to add planets to at least some of these extra stars. There are many types of stars, from cold, small and dim to very hot, giant and bright stars.

You can see, in the last image, the Andromeda galaxy with a cluster of not so near stars.

Comments will be welcome.

Reiko

Post #14by Reiko » 23.03.2008, 23:30

Enio wrote:Hi. I'll add some more pictures of my development. The number of stars, comparing to stars in Milky Way is still too low, but at least Audbeyon system now has many neighbours. I'll put more stars, but it will take some time. I'm also thinking to add planets to at least some of these extra stars. There are many types of stars, from cold, small and dim to very hot, giant and bright stars.

You can see, in the last image, the Andromeda galaxy with a cluster of not so near stars.

Comments will be welcome.

To populate your galaxy with the cluster generator I found it is best to make about three clusters of about 100,000 stars each and place their centers about 200 ly from each other.
It makes a nice dense star field like in our region of the galaxy.
Set the planet generator to about 30% and you will have plenty of worlds to explore in your new galaxy. :)

Topic author
Enio

Post #15by Enio » 24.03.2008, 00:46

I'm having some problems. I want to put many stars on the center of Andromeda galaxy. What I want to do is a dense core of the galaxy. I'm trying to put them in the center, but I can't.

I'll give some values:

# Andromeda / NGC 224
Galaxy "M31"
{
Type "Sb"
RA 0.712
Dec 41.27
Distance 2.9e6
Radius 65000
AbsMag -10
Axis [ -0.596 -0.191 0.780 ]
Angle 195
}

This is where the galaxy is. I put one star in the very center of the galaxy and it'll be the central black hole. The position is:

"Hole"
{
RA 10.68741391
Dec 41.26626782
Distance 2899000
SpectralType "X"
AppMag 0 # Radii: 12019345.6109141
}

But when I use the generator and put the same values, the stars appear in a completely different place. Could someone solve this problem to me? It's because I spent some hours trying to put these stars on the same place where my black hole is, but I couldn't do that.

Topic author
Enio

Post #16by Enio » 24.03.2008, 00:47

I'm having some problems. I want to put many stars on the center of Andromeda galaxy. What I want to do is a dense core of the galaxy. I'm trying to put them in the center, but I can't. :x

I'll give some values:

# Andromeda / NGC 224
Galaxy "M31"
{
Type "Sb"
RA 0.712
Dec 41.27
Distance 2.9e6
Radius 65000
AbsMag -10
Angle 195
}

This is where the galaxy is. I put one star in the very center of the galaxy and it'll be the central black hole. 8) The position is:

"Hole"
{
RA 10.68741391
Dec 41.26626782
Distance 2899000
SpectralType "X"
}

But when I use the generator and put the same values, the stars appear in a completely different place. Could someone solve this problem to me? It's because I spent some hours trying to put these stars on the same place where my black hole is, but I couldn't do that. :x :cry:

Reiko

Post #17by Reiko » 24.03.2008, 01:23

Enio wrote:I'm having some problems. I want to put many stars on the center of Andromeda galaxy. What I want to do is a dense core of the galaxy. I'm trying to put them in the center, but I can't. :x

I'll give some values:

# Andromeda / NGC 224
Galaxy "M31"
{
Type "Sb"
RA 0.712
Dec 41.27
Distance 2.9e6
Radius 65000
AbsMag -10
Angle 195
}

This is where the galaxy is. I put one star in the very center of the galaxy and it'll be the central black hole. 8) The position is:

"Hole"
{
RA 10.68741391
Dec 41.26626782
Distance 2899000
SpectralType "X"
}

But when I use the generator and put the same values, the stars appear in a completely different place. Could someone solve this problem to me? It's because I spent some hours trying to put these stars on the same place where my black hole is, but I couldn't do that. :x :cry:

I had the same problem.

Put these numbers in to place the stars in the center of the M31 Andromeda galaxy.

RA 00 42 44.31
Dec 41 16 09.4
Dist 2573000

Topic author
Enio

Post #18by Enio » 25.03.2008, 00:49

I did the galactic core and it really look like the center of a galaxy.

From distance you can see the dense core of Andromeda.

Approaching the core.

Here's the dense and brillant core. I reduced brightness so it could be better seen. I really could put more stars, but if I put, the framerate will slow and also Celestia would take more time to load.

Now we are entering the core.

And finally we are in front of the supermassive black hole. This black hole is from Cham. I'm thinking of modifying the colour of textures and I modified Cham add-on a bit. I don't know if he will mind. :wink:

What I want to know now is... what would be the radius of the black hole sphere. The normal size is 10km, but this is a supermassive black hole, so it'll be bigger, but I don't know how. Someone have any ideas? :?:

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #19by Cham » 25.03.2008, 01:26

Enio wrote:This black hole is from Cham. I'm thinking of modifying the colour of textures and I modified Cham add-on a bit. I don't know if he will mind. ...

What I want to know now is... what would be the radius of the black hole sphere. The normal size is 10km, but this is a supermassive black hole, so it'll be bigger, but I don't know how. Someone have any ideas? :?:

Of course, I don't mind about modifying my addon. Just use it as you wish :wink:

The size (in meters) should be proportional to the mass (in kg) : R = 2GM/c^2

where G = 6.672 X 10^(-11) Nm^2/kg^2 and c = 3 X 10^8 m/s.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Reiko

Post #20by Reiko » 25.03.2008, 03:01

Very nice! You going to put some stars out in the arms too?

Return to “Add-on development”