And now for something completely different...

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
rthorvald
With us: 20 years 7 months

And now for something completely different...

Post #1by rthorvald » 15.02.2008, 16:41

Just playing...
With something different.

I am sure all the other sci-fi geeks here recognizes this. It is sort of the
holy grail of fictional-celestia ;-)

I played around with Marc Griffith??s SSC file for it last night to see if it
was possible to do something real with it, and it is... This one has both a
workable atmosphere and clouds. The only problem is that the shadow
squares don??t cast shadows, and Marcs solution to that is less than
satisfactory when one goes 3D with the surface.

Another problem is, of course, that the scale of the thing is so immense
Celestia is unable to assemble it without seams between the many
segments one will need - i made just one, very quickly as a proof-of-
.concept, and duplicated it up - the seam is invisible from space, but
becomes prominent if i fly beneath the clouds...

If i get the time, i might go forward with it later, but it would be a big
job - and a very memory-taxing work... Just the Great Sea alone is a
project in itself.

And, a comparison: the little bright dot in the red circle is our Earth...:

- rthorvald

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 5 months

Post #2by Chuft-Captain » 15.02.2008, 17:34

Hi Runar,

Have you got my Rungworld Addon?

I haven't looked at it for ages, but from memory I think it's at least as big as this beastie (radius comparable to jupiters orbit if I remember correctly).

It doesn't have very realistic textures or atmosphere (developed for 1.4.0), but I don't recall having any issues with seams.. can you post a picture showing what you mean?

CC
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #3by t00fri » 15.02.2008, 18:39

Since I have no idea about ringworlds or the literature that deals with such constructs, let mw ask the experts:

I suppose ringworlds are artificial habitats that rotate such that the centrifugal force acts as a replacement of the gravitational one. Then people living on the inside surface of the ring are pushed towards the "ground". Right?

Probably it is strictly forbidden on such ringworlds to drill too deep holes into the "ground" that might eventually lead to the other side of the band. Then people would be sucked through the hole into open space? ;-)

F.

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #4by rthorvald » 15.02.2008, 19:29

t00fri wrote:I suppose ringworlds are artificial habitats that rotate such that the centrifugal force acts as a replacement of the gravitational one. Then people living on the inside surface of the ring are pushed towards the "ground". Right?

Probably it is strictly forbidden on such ringworlds to drill too deep holes into the "ground" that might eventually lead to the other side of the band. Then people would be sucked through the hole into open space? ;-)

Heh, Fridger, Larry Niven??s Ringworld from 1970 is a scifi classic, you must know that ;-)

And since it is scifi, the foundation is of course made of a material that is indestructible... But a major feature of this ringworld is an asteroid hit that created an enormous mountain with a hole on top that the protagonists use to escape the Ringworld, of course :-D (They carry their spaceship up to the top and drop it through!)

If i remember correctly, the centrifugal force was delivered by a 770mph orbital speed.

- rthorvald

PS to chuft-captain; a seam will absolutely show if you pile on enough models, which would be necessary to create something of this detail (continuos foundation / landscape / cloudmap / rim walls).

t00fri
Developer

Post #5by t00fri » 15.02.2008, 20:17

rthorvald wrote:
t00fri wrote:I suppose ringworlds are artificial habitats that rotate such that the centrifugal force acts as a replacement of the gravitational one. Then people living on the inside surface of the ring are pushed towards the "ground". Right?

Heh, Fridger, Larry Niven??s Ringworld from 1970 is a scifi classic, you must know that ;-)

No, sorry, I don't read any scifi. I did when I was an adolescent until I realized that most of it was crap.
Also generally, I tend to live NOW, not in the future.

F.

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #6by rthorvald » 15.02.2008, 20:23

t00fri wrote:No, sorry, I don't read any scifi. I did when I was an adolescent until I realized that most of it was crap.

I know, but this book is almost 40 years old, so i thought you might know of it... BTW, we are in total agreement, most of it is crap. But so is 90% of everything else, too...

- rthorvald

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #7by Cham » 15.02.2008, 20:46

Yeah, and what is the problem, with "crap" ?

As Paul Davies once wrote, studying the "impossibilities" (as we often do in physics anyway) can teach us a lot of things about what is possible.

So SF isn't that useless, after all, even the "crappy" SF (and why is it crappy, in the first place ?). No wonders why many of the SF writers are scientists (I. Asimov, C. Sagan, etc. Even Kepler wrote the first SF novel).
Last edited by Cham on 15.02.2008, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Tuefish
With us: 17 years 3 months
Location: Just a little to the left of the middle of nowhere, Southern California, USA

Post #8by Tuefish » 15.02.2008, 20:47

Technical question;
how do you get the atmosphere to work on an unconventional environment;
say, inside a dyson sphere?
Fantastic work, by the way.
"Over Seventy earths spinnin' round in the galaxy, and the meek have inherited not a one."
-Malcolm Reynolds

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #9by rthorvald » 15.02.2008, 21:05

Tuefish wrote:Technical question;
how do you get the atmosphere to work on an unconventional environment;
say, inside a dyson sphere?.

You make a lot of small ones instead of one big one, and place them in an overlapping pattern. And make sure the hole in the middle is invisible. In the case above, the oblateness of the hole is set to 90%, there are 360 separate atmospheres overlapping all around the band (one per degree), and the holes, which is nearly flat, hidden inside the floor mesh.

- rthorvald

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #10by rthorvald » 15.02.2008, 21:08

Cham wrote:So SF isn't that useless, after all, even the "crappy" SF

SF is not more crappy than other literature, but 90% of all literature is crap, including SF. Of course, the good ones would not exist if not for all the others... So i guess you could say the bad ones are necessary too...

- rthorvald

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #11by ajtribick » 15.02.2008, 22:03

Personally I wouldn't count Ringworld as "good SF".

But it does have a couple of nice-looking (but not particularly feasible/sensible) ideas.

Johaen
With us: 18 years 5 months

Post #12by Johaen » 15.02.2008, 22:39

So. Uh. It does look neat. But what exactly is it? :oops:
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #13by rthorvald » 15.02.2008, 22:50

Johaen wrote:So. Uh. It does look neat. But what exactly is it? :oops:

A thin slice of Dyson sphere...

- rthorvald

Tuefish
Location: Just a little to the left of the middle of nowhere, Southern California, USA

Post #14by Tuefish » 15.02.2008, 22:57

Like a Dyson fillet.
"Over Seventy earths spinnin' round in the galaxy, and the meek have inherited not a one."

-Malcolm Reynolds

t00fri
Developer

Post #15by t00fri » 15.02.2008, 23:17

Cham wrote:Yeah, and what is the problem, with "crap" ?

As Paul Davies once wrote, studying the "impossibilities" (as we often do in physics anyway) can teach us a lot of things about what is possible.

So SF isn't that useless, after all, even the "crappy" SF (and why is it crappy, in the first place ?). No wonders why many of the SF writers are scientists (I. Asimov, C. Sagan, etc. Even Kepler wrote the first SF novel).

Intelligent crap is fun, but unfortunately most crap is dumb crap.

Actually our house is totally "overgrown" with books that are NOT crap. Only it's getting increasingly hard to buy such books in bookshops, since these also want to make money. We are now considering to install special bookshelfs along the walls of our staircase that leads from the ground floor to the first one ;-) That's the last space in our house that still could function as a storage for books.

The other day, I got home with 20 volumes (!) of the Nobel library: all Nobel prize winners in Literature since the first Nobel prize until the seventies. One of our Russian postdocs got his next job in Japan and didn't have space and money to take them along ;-) . Who got them as a present? me ;-) .

F.

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #16by rthorvald » 15.02.2008, 23:40

t00fri wrote:We are now considering to install special bookshelfs along the walls of our staircase that leads from the ground floor to the first one That's the last space in our house that still could function as a storage for books.

That is a common problem... I habitually go through my shelves and sort out the overflow and give it away, always removing the ones that has collected the most dust, (ahem, figuratively, of course). I manage to keep a single wall, more or less, this way. The only downside is that often i end up buying the same book several times :roll: As a side-effect, the library does not grow much, but constantly becomes better. Or more nerdy, as anyone else that sees it will say 8O

- rthorvald

ANDREA
With us: 22 years

Post #17by ANDREA » 16.02.2008, 00:45

Well, same problem, books under the beds, a 3x5m bookshelfs filled up to the ceiling, books in the bathroom, on the chairs, and so on, and moreover continuously increasing in number. :cry:
But finally some years ago the final solution: a Public Library opened very close to my house, and now we can read almost all the books we wish to read, without buying them (and this saves money), and after this giving them back (and this saves space). :lol:
Obviously I still buy books, but way less than before!
Very satisfied of this solution.
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

eburacum45

Post #18by eburacum45 » 16.02.2008, 05:18

My own work is very basic compared to yours- Runar; but for what it's worth, here is a related concept- the Banks Orbital.
http://www.orionsarm.com/civ/Banks_Orbitals.html

Iain M Banks realised that if you make a ringworld about 3 million kilometers across, it will rotate once a day while producing one Earth gravity centrifugally. He called them Orbitals; and of course, so do we. Orbitals orbit the star, just like any other planet, rather than surrounding it.

The orbital model I made does have a separate cloud layer, but no atmosphere. Interesting idea to make a very flat atmosphere- doesn't it pop out of the back as well, though?

Tuefish

Post #19by Tuefish » 16.02.2008, 11:41

rthorvald,
another technical question,
how do you get the clouds to remain smoothly rendered on the inside of the ring?

-Malcolm Reynolds

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #20by danielj » 16.02.2008, 16:19

Do Ringworld have something to do with Rama?Why Ringworld is the "holy grail" of sci fi modeling?

Return to “Add-on development”