Interior of the planets

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 2 months

Interior of the planets

Post #1by Fenerit » 26.03.2007, 22:58

Hi All, I am Fenerit, and for a first thing I apologize for the grammar. In second hand I wish share with you some ideas about the creation of the interior of the planets. I've built a 3d meshes of the heart of the Earth, but my problem is how to place the models inside the "true" Earth of Celestia without apply any transparency level in a virtual sphere that is used in substitution of the default Earth. This metod do not permit the bumpmap feature, even though the newest change on version 1.5 seems to allow the Specular and NormalMap directives on 3d models. My 1.4.0 version have the problems with the NormalMap directive even with default spheroid. Best all, perhaps, I, have the problem with NormalMap. Nevertheless, my work is that:

http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/ ... MC0200.jpg
This picture shows the my 3d mesh of Earth without some "eye-candy"

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/ ... +H0200.jpg
This picture shows the right click menu to select the interior. (an alpha png will desappear the alpha sphere)

http://shutter02.pictures.aol.com/data/ ... 7u0200.jpg
This pictures show the interior of the Earth. To switch to default Earth, simply right click and choose normal.

I have already upload the models with textures, but it's never appear yet, so look at:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/creat ... -Earth.zip
ADD LATER: THIS FILE HAS BEEN UPDATED, SEE PAG. 8 AND SS. FOR DETAILS

for the model.

Start Celestia and when all is ready go in altsurface menu, select "Interior of Earth" and then see what happen. Never fear if you custom Earth will appear strange without bumps and other features, because an alternative sferoid has taken the place of original and at the present these features are unsupported by 3d meshes.

Due to your personal coordinates, the interior may not to be in front of you as in forum's screenshot; thus, right drag the Earth.
For a correct alignment with your place on Earth (the break originally was designed to appear in the middle of Atlantic ocean), try to change the Orientation directive or try to open each model in a 3d program and rotate it until the break go down under your feet. If you do not like to alter the status of your default Earth having bumps, specular, normal and so on, that is, all that the 3d model can't do at the present, rename the MODIFY-EARTH.SSC file, change the orbit and location in INTERIOR-OF-EARTH.SSC, place the models where you want and bookmark the position.

Models are in .3ds format because someone maybe to wish a plus or minus number of polygons to load. In this case open the models in a 3d program, increase or decrease the number of polygons and, or not,convert each ones model in the .cmod format. In order to avoid some strange flicks that appeared when the relevant textures were rendered in Celestia, although not in the 3d program with which I made them, the break do not lay on the equator. I think that this was ought to the span of the semicircle's UV projection across the boundary of the canvas, so I have rise short up the intersecting cube.
Note: the semicircles stands as breaks textures by themselves and have only two aims: the first as a places in which putting the data and the second is aestetic; for when they blends over the backgrounds, a slightly haze due to the gradient cast upon the latters.

Toggle Clouds On to see the heat flow (fictional). This operation best work when the interior is far from being to be inside the default Earth, since the proper cloudmap overlay the break.

Bathymetry, interiors backgrounds and clouds Earth's texture have been downloaded from the Motherload site and are all of the respective authors. The rest is mine. All textures, except the clouds, are 2048x1024px. Note that the textures insofar are used in this manner they works fine, but if you attempt to map a simple spheroid or each one of the break models separately istead of being them recursively inside one with the other as they are now, the result will be that the semicircles will completely shows themselves somewhere on the meshes. If someone who know more on texturing can tell me how I should be avoid this behaviour, it will be esteemed.

It's not important for the addon's purpose that the planet turn, specially when placed far away in the space. However, a personal suggest could be that of an integration with the Magnetic Earth by Cham.

All data are collect from "Theory of Earth", Don Anderson; BlaCKWELL SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATION
For a Discrepancy upon lower-mantle and outer-core temperature cfr.ibid. pag.67:<<Althougt the
outer core behaves as a fluid, it does not necessarily follow that temperatures are above the
liquidus>>, that is melting temperature generally speak.
Because the small thickness of the scale couldn't permit a good vision, the mantle's regions, the mantle's discontinuity and other particularities have been omitted. In this case I'm wait the VT's feature for 3d meshes (if possibile, of course).

Note: I like the science of geology, but I am not a geologist; so, all errors are mine.

For more information, see at Celestia's forum > Interior of the planets by Fenerit.

#############################################

I see my Interior of Earth now posted on CelestiaMotherlode. Thanks so much at all!

#############################################

Since I'm not a "lynx" in the art of uploading, I shall try to send at repository the file again so that no difference could be persist between the main addon in Motherlode site and the file hosted in the link above. Subsequently, I shall remove the aforesaid link. The two files differs from one to another in the orientation of the models, in their displacements along the universe, in the "alpha sphere" metod for showing the regions beneath the default Earth and finally in a PSD layer of the break semicircle's projection hold only in Motherlode's zip.
I apologize for the inconvenience, but when I've started to make the addon I've bookmarked the ill-suited orientation without thinking that this mistake would be reiterate itself. Later, the idea (appetite comes with eating) about how to place the models inside the default Earth has entangled my mind.
Last edited by Fenerit on 16.09.2007, 01:28, edited 5 times in total.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #2by Cham » 07.04.2007, 21:20

Your addon is very interesting. I wanted to do something like this since a long time ago, but never found the time and motivation to do it. Since I need to show the Earth structure to my astronomy students, in French, I started my own version three days ago, motivated by your version. So here it is. I just need to verify all the numbers before considering it finished. I intend to do something similar for the sun too, if I find enough free time and motivation.

"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

ANDREA
With us: 22 years

Post #3by ANDREA » 07.04.2007, 21:48

Cham wrote: ...Since I need to show the Earth structure to my astronomy students, in French...

Cham, this is very interesting.
I suppose that the text is on a text file, not drawn on the texture, Isn't?
In this case we could translate the text in Italian and any other needed language. :wink:
Could you please inform us on this?
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Andrea :D

Edited later: Sorry Fenerit, I had only seen your small images, but now I've downloaded and tested your Earth Interior, and IMO is very nice.
But I have the same above told problem, i.e. the translation.
To make it easier, could you rise the angle of the section from 90?° to, e.g, 150?°, so to have more space to add the text in other languages?
This could help, being the text drawn on the textures and not, as I hoped, in a separate text file.
Is it possible?
Another thing: I think there is something to be changed in the ssc file, the Earth rotates in a very strange way, not the right one, anyhow. :wink:
Thanks a lot.
Buye

Last edited by ANDREA on 07.04.2007, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Cham M

Post #4by Cham » 07.04.2007, 22:08

Andrea,

unfortunately, all the text sentences are parts of the model itself. I may change easily some of them, but not all. The curvy text is "frosted" and can't be edited anymore, unless I make some new sentences from scratch. The sad thing is, my modeling tool isn't strong enough to allow text on curved paths (AFAIK), so curved sentences are a pain in the butt to do. I'll try to find a better way to do it.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

ANDREA

Post #5by ANDREA » 07.04.2007, 22:22

Cham wrote:Andrea, unfortunately, all the text sentences are parts of the model itself. I may change easily some of them, but not all. The curvy text is "frosted" and can't be edited anymore, unless I make some new sentences from scratch. The sad thing is, my modeling tool isn't strong enough to allow text on curved paths (AFAIK), so curved sentences are a pain in the butt to do. I'll try to find a better way to do it.

I understand, Cham, don't worry.
Just a stupid idea: if I don't remember wrong, there is something in MS Word that allows to "write" in jpg format in strange shapes, included the curved ones.
Could it be of any help? :wink:
Bye and many thanks to you and Fenerit for your work, both very nice and useful for educational purposes, appreciated!
Bye

EDITED LATER: the MSWord option is WordArt, and here is an example:
Could it be useful?
Bye

HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #6by t00fri » 07.04.2007, 23:38

Mind the accents, Andrea ;-)

Cheers, Fridger

Cham M

Post #7by Cham » 08.04.2007, 00:16

Andrea, your trick with MS work isn't usefull. Sorry.

However, I've found a proper way to do it "properly" in my modeler. It's a bit complex (unatural, for curvy text), but at least I could write the text in - almost - any language now.

ANDREA

Post #8by ANDREA » 08.04.2007, 00:38

Cham wrote:Andrea, your trick with MS work isn't usefull. Sorry.
However, I've found a proper way to do it "properly" in my modeler. It's a bit complex (unatural, for curvy text), but at least I could write the text in - almost - any language now.

Well, "try it yourself, if you can" is my law, so I tried.
This is the result, obtained in a very short time: :wink:

I think I'll use this for the text change in Italian.
My little cent.
Bye

Cham M

Post #9by Cham » 08.04.2007, 01:25

I've done an English version. I can now edit the text easily.

Before publishing the addon, I need someone with some autority in geology to confirm the values used for everything here : temperature, density, radius, depth and chemical composition (elements, not molecules please, since wrting FeO, Al2O3, SiO2, etc will become messy on the model).

tech2000
With us: 18 years 4 months

Post #10by tech2000 » 08.04.2007, 01:48

It looks awesome.. Can't wait to see that live...

//Anders

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #11by Hungry4info » 08.04.2007, 04:01

Will this affect anything?

http://www.physorg.com/news95136341.html

News Story wrote:High-resolution images that reveal unexpected details of the Earth's internal structure are among the results reported by MIT and Purdue scientists in the March 30 issue of Science.

Certainly some structure there. You may want to update this add-on accordingly.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #12by Fenerit » 08.04.2007, 12:26

Thank you all. I'm Fenerit.

I'll try to reply one by one.

For Cham, YOUR Magnetic Earth is Great!

I've made the geometries with an old realise of Cinema 4d with Bodypaint 3D and I have put the data directly on the models which have rendered the text somewhat distorted according to the shape. I do not have idea how to place the text apart the textures, if not by the quite different way of overlay the screen (like the cockpit) with a detailed image that could also allow of showing some cartesian grafical data, as do the patch now or the future versions of Celestia. Note that I've thought at VT for the regions of the mantle as well as the typology of the rocks, the discontinuities etc, but then I've found that VT's feature is not supported by 3d mesh. Another method of showing data and colors is the right Altmap one by each for the meshes, in this case the single meshes are best suited; for example, if you leave the main textures only with the purpose of a color's division and each altmap repeat the colors meanwhile differ in data, you could be associate them more facts.

For the correctness of data, look here:

http://caltechbook.library.caltech.edu/ ... ivgeo.html

where the text is in PDF form, and expecially the appendix tables, where the densities and pressures are one-to-one relate, while the temperatures can be extracts from the context throughout the book. E.a, this text quote the Lehmann discontinuity (220 km) as not in the inner core but in the upper mantle (pag. 52 of the book, pag. 64 of the Reader).

If you want the layers I send them to you willingly, but the text layers built by the 3d program stands as single image layers each one, not as text layers editable with Photoshop or similar, in which putting the translations simply by re-typing in them so that the distortion to be preserve; thus I do not believe that this can be an improvement of the question. Yours works are already the best thing, I think.

As far as concern the large section of the meshes as required by Andrea, I'll try to work on it as models only, without textures, which the extants would be result inadequate, nevertheless you can customize them as your needs, and when I'm ready I shall post them somewhere in the web and the link here.

For the correct rotation or orientation, this is matter of models, so I've send to Motherlode an update version of the addon yesterday, and as long as it will not be updated, download by the link above.
Last edited by Fenerit on 09.04.2007, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Cham M

Post #13by Cham » 08.04.2007, 18:18

Fenerit wrote:in this text the Lehmann discontinuity (220 km) is not in the inner core but in the upper mantle (pag. 52 of the book, pag. 64 of the Reader).

I'm finding many contradictions and confusion on the net, about geology and the internal structure of the Earth. For example, there are many large variations on the numbers (temperature, pressure, composition, ...). This is clearly related to our lack of knowledge about the real thing, since nobody was able to dig down to the Earth's core. About the Lehmann discontinuity, here are some definitions showing the confusion :

http://www.search.com/reference/Lehmann_discontinuity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehmann_discontinuity

Here's a typical diagram of Earth's structure :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Slice_earth.svg

The separation layer between the internal core and the external core surely have a name. If it isn't the Lehmann discontinuity, what is it ?

Cham M

Post #14by Cham » 08.04.2007, 19:53

I'm testing a similar concept for the sun (this is just a prototype) :

However, I'm not sure this is really worth it. My motivation is pretty low for that model, especially without any glowing atmosphere. The trick Chris have shown before, with an asteroid, doesn't even work at all :

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #15by Fenerit » 09.04.2007, 15:07

I see now the grafical data on Wiki. This is question of terminology that justly, as you say, the geologists would be clarifying to the masses. My reflections on the subject are these: Lehmann was a scientist of XX century, of a period in which the researches about the inner core were not
in advance as now, hence, if a first discontinuity had appeared to the geologists might be "under they feet" before to close at centre, expecially with the aid of artificial seismology born in that period. Referring to him as name of outer core - inner core discontinuity make sense when we minds at the deviation of pressure waves due to the transition between a liquidous outer core and a solid inner core, in which consist the Lehmann's intuition; but repeat: do perhaps these waves pass trought the mantle before going to core? And then: what is a "discontinuity"? A dis-homogenity in a same structure or simply a term with which identifying a boundary between different structures? However, these are words of an unauthorized person.

For now the strange behaviour (for the meshes) of glowing atmosfere is unavoidable and partially affect the good output of addon. Your work with the Sun is the right thing. To leave out the glow of the last sphere, for the others, that inside, what happen at the glows if they do extends themself overlappings each ones untill to be very close to the most external sphere? I can't try this now, it's only an idea that brough to my mind now. She will not resolve the main problem, but perhaps for the Sun's aestetic could be a class touch.

In this moment I'm busy with Andrea's request for a more large break, after which I shall pass to make order in some interiors data collect from Scientific American about the Jovian moons with which I intend to build another addon. Presumably the meshes will be the same, what will change will be the radii and the textures.

Cham M

Post #16by Cham » 09.04.2007, 15:38

Guys, here's a link to the French version of my truncated Earth. I'll upload the English version later.

http://nho.ohn.free.fr/celestia/Cham/Terre_tronquee.zip (5 MB zip file)

Test it, and tell me what you think.

I'm not sure I'll continue to work on the Sun version. Without the glow, it's dull.

tech2000
With us: 18 years 4 months

Post #17by tech2000 » 09.04.2007, 17:22

Hi, I have now tested it and it looks awesome. I like it alot.

Thanks, Anders

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #18by Fenerit » 09.04.2007, 18:34

As required by Andrea now the break models without textures comes with a 120 degree angle. Link here:

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/QdmxK2 ... s.zip.html

ANDREA

Post #19by ANDREA » 09.04.2007, 18:37

Fenerit wrote:As required by Andrea now the break models without textures comes with a 120 degree angle. Link here:
http://www.bestsharing.com/files/QdmxK2 ... s.zip.html

Tks a lot, downloading it! :wink:
Bye

Cham M

Post #20by Cham » 10.04.2007, 02:45

Here's a link to the English version :

http://nho.ohn.free.fr/celestia/Cham/Ea ... ucture.zip (4.9 MB zip file)

Return to “Add-on development”